What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » eStores? (Domain registering solved)

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
eStores? (Domain registering solved)
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: Domain registering..
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
From experience, do NOT get a dopmain name and hosting from the same place. Get a domain from a well known registrar (godaddy is fine, name.com is good too) and hosting from somewhere else
MeEtc just failed at life, ignore him :p. A freak occurrence happened with him when he tried moving his domain away from his hosting plan (not at vexxhost). In reality it's very easy once you get the transfer auth code :p.

Go with Vexxhost (OMG REFERRAL). sonicsam.net and addon domains have been with them for years :p. I've never had problems that weren't fixable.

quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
- domain name
Free with vexxhost plan (even the cheapest).
quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
- e-mail (cheapest, doesn't have to be unlimited storage, 2GB I think is fine)
Google Apps Standard (free), point the MX servers for email to Google and you can access gmail at mail.<your domain>.com for example (with CNAMES). All changeable in the cPanel for your domain.

[Image: apps_35392.png]

You are currently using 438 MB (5%) of your 7493 MB.
7.5GB should be enough email storage. Alternatively you can run email using vexxhost's mx servers, but meh :cheesy:

:zippy:

This post was edited on 09-12-2010 at 09:21 PM by prashker.
09-12-2010 09:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I wouldn't let the GoDaddy sale affect your decision. They are a healthy business doing fine, just the owner cashing in. On the other hand, I wouldn't go with GoDaddy for other reasons. Godaddy is big on the upselling, their site seems to be one giant ad. You'll come to them for just a domain and they'll try to sell you loads of services you don't need.

Name.com, NameCheap, Hover.com are generally advised as decent places to get domains. I don't have firsthand experience with any of them though, using a Dutch registrar for all my domains myself.. And I also recommend getting domains and hosting from separate places. Anybody who ever ran into issues with their hoster probably will.

Don't worry about E-mail. I personally use Google Apps for all my domains to provide mail accounts. Gives you GMail account but @yourowndomain.com. This can also be a reason why you wouldn't want the domain from the hoster itself. Some hosters do not give you full control over the domain and don't allow you to configure MX records, maki g it impossible to use Google Apps on that domain.

Which just leaves you to find a hoster. If you don't need much, they is an ocean of them to drown in.

This post was edited on 09-13-2010 at 08:29 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-12-2010 09:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
I have fixed my problem finally relating to the above link, and have hosting with name.com now. Price was $7.75 for a year and found a promo code for private whois (meaning your name and contact info, email and mailing address aren't publically visible)
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
09-13-2010 01:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
FREEWHOIS for those who are too lazy to google :p.
09-13-2010 02:08 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Personally I have a setup with vexxhost and my domains from name.com. I also use google apps for email and it's fantastic. (i.e. the same setup as SonicSam). I've had next to no problems (i.e. the problems were usually/almost always my fault :P).
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-13-2010 03:35 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This is off topic, but when you guys (Sam, Lou) say you point the MX servers for email to Google Apps, how does the 'To'-header in the recieved emails appear then? Is it blah@yourdomain.com or is it blah@gmail.com?

I'm noob too in regards to this stuff... but as it happens, also looking to change hosts (Belgian hosts though and Windows hosting - asp-) or something because of the limited mailboxes and way to expensive extra mailboxes. As it is now everything (hosting, domain name, etc) is provided by one (expensive, though extremely reliable) hosting company. Domain name itself will still be registered thru that company in the near future though, since a dumbo (not me) recently payed for 5 more years of registration with them. But I want to change everything else to something cheaper.

This post was edited on 09-13-2010 at 04:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-13-2010 03:55 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
It appears as everything is to/from @domain.com.
09-13-2010 04:24 PM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This is off topic, but when you guys (Sam, Lou) say you point the MX servers for email to Google Apps, how does the 'To'-header in the recieved emails appear then? Is it blah@yourdomain.com or is it blah@gmail.com?

I'm noob too in regards to this stuff... but as it happens, also looking to change hosts (Belgian hosts though and Windows hosting - asp-) or something because of the limited mailboxes and way to expensive extra mailboxes. As it is now everything (hosting, domain name, etc) is provided by one (expensive, though extremely reliable) hosting company. Domain name itself will still be registered thru that company in the near future though, since a dumbo (not me) recently payed for 5 more years of registration with them. But I want to change everything else to something cheaper.

When you use google to host your mail (ie. change the mx records), you have to register for the google apps account and then setup your email through them. From then on, you can access your email through the gmail interface, but your email address is still whatever domain you provide it. I use it on almost all my domains and it's awesome!

There are some drawbacks to using gmail, but I don't think it applies to you since it has more to do with control over email such as backups and so on...

This post was edited on 09-13-2010 at 11:34 PM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
09-13-2010 11:33 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Lou
Personally I have a setup with vexxhost and my domains from name.com. I also use google apps for email and it's fantastic. (i.e. the same setup as SonicSam). I've had next to no problems (i.e. the problems were usually/almost always my fault :P).

i vote for everything suggested here.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

you actually use mail.google.com/a/[yourdomain] to access email from google apps (or mail.yourdomain if you set up the proper CNAME records), not gmail (google apps user accounts are not google accounts) -- so everything in the UI is pretty much custom tailored to your domain, and your user on that google apps domain has no actual google accounts equivalent (so you don't even get an @gmail.com address to send from, just an @yourdomain).

example

This post was edited on 09-13-2010 at 11:52 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
09-13-2010 11:35 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Domain registering..
Thanks guys. The website is up and running.. now I've to figure out how to add an eStore. I heard "Magento" was the best one, though Fantastico offers OS Commerce, Zen Market, and CubeCart (of which I read OS Commerce is the best?)

I also need to come up with a fancier design, it's pretty basic now but I had barely any stuff to add as the store is not open yet. If anyone knows anything about adding an eStore let me know, though it doesn't sound all that complicated, I'll attempt it in the weekend.

Thanks again, especially SonicSpam whom I constantly hassle <3 I'll fix that jew nose one day for a discounted price :)
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
09-13-2010 11:55 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: