What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Essentials 2011 released

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
Windows Live Essentials 2011 released
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Live Essentials 2011 released
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by theirishmourinho
Thanks for that. Unfortunately I want it to be like that in full-screen. Oh well it will have to do I guess.
I still don't understand why people were fullscreening WLM 2009 contacts lists. It just creates a big sea of white screen. The reason for multiple columns in WLM 2011 is to make the contacts lists more useful for people who fullscreen them. Guess some people prefer staring at blank space over actual contacts.
Although I share your view about using Messenger in full screen (unless it is for a netbook with low res graphics), I don't agree with the rest.

Since screen resolution get bigger and bigger, it is not unusual to want to have your contactlist wider, yet in 1 column. Especially if your contacts use long personal messages, and certainly when you don't use the social view as the standard view! In fact, you don't even need to have your contactlist in fullscreen to be annoyed by the too low automatic column width threshold.

Btw, this was actually the very first comment I gave when we tested the new interface last year at the MS campus. Even on the screens used there (which weren't that of a high resolution), it was clearly something which would be nice to have. But at that time they more wanted to show off the new social view and 'intelligent' column width interface than anything else.

On the question if we could have at least have an option then, even maybe just a registry key for all I cared, where we could override this auto-column width threshold (so the columns can become wider before they are split), they said everybody would love the new and intelligent way that the columns would be set anyways. Well, guess not...

Even if I would set the width in WLM2011 the same as I've set it in the previous version it would split! And my contactlist is certainly not too wide with lots of white spaces (on the contrary)...

But I hope this is something a Plus! skin would be able to 'fix'.
(probably patchable too, but I cba too look for it :p)

This post was edited on 10-05-2010 at 07:04 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-05-2010 06:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Has anyone gotten the "watch together" feature to work? In my case, it only opens a black side-window when I send/receive a YouTube link.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
10-09-2010 07:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Richy

35 / Male / Flag
We don't want to use any patcher.

How can we edit regedit for polygamy in WLM 2011 ???

Old solutions don't work in Win7 x64.

UPDATE: Do you know any patcher?!

This post was edited on 10-14-2010 at 08:00 PM by Richy.
10-12-2010 09:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Frackounet

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Windows Live Essentials 2011 released
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by http://apatch.org/
Feature: Remove advertisement from main window (at the moment it only removes the ad and not the space).
:(

Since Msg Plus! Live 4.90, the problem is solved, thanks to "Skinning: UIB files can all be properly decoded and re-encoded (windows definitions and styles can be skinned)." :)

You can use my patch for totally remove ads and spaces

http://www.zolexlive.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=359&act=down

I recommand to only use the "Supprimer la publicité" function

- "Mode Inactivité" is for french idle status in conversation windows

- "Onglets Zolex Community" is our own tabs, google instead bing search, news badges

- "Mode Polygamie" is Polygamy but a little bit bugged on WLM 2011 final.., you need to run wlm 2011 on xp compatibility

Edit:

Or I made a little skin for Msg Plus! Live 4.90 that removes the ads

[link removed, skins that allow to remove ads cannot be posted here]

This post was edited on 10-25-2010 at 12:41 AM by Chrono.
[Image: userbar.gif]
10-20-2010 12:12 AM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
I'm hating this new version.
I can't set a nickname? Who was the stupid who decided that?

Even worse, whenever I send an image link, it opens that 'sharing pictures' panel. F* it, man! I just want to send the link, I don't want you to auto-load it.
10-20-2010 01:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Windows Live Essentials 2011 released
quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
I'm hating this new version.
I can't set a nickname? Who was the stupid who decided that?

Yeah, I downgraded to 2009 again only to find that it wouldn't let me sign in because "The Windows Live Messenger team has identified an important security issue in Messenger." And of course they seem to have removed personal messages as well, unless that "share a message" box up the top is meant to be it -- if it is, it doesn't work; I have myself added to my contact list and nothing happened.

Normally I'm fine with updates to software, but this is just annoying to me. I'd rather people not know my real name unless they're friends of mine that I actually talk to in person (in which case I have no choice anyway really). Does anyone else think this may be a bit of a breach of privacy or am I just a little paranoid and weird?
10-20-2010 06:12 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
I downgraded to 2009 again only to find that it wouldn't let me sign in because "The Windows Live Messenger team has identified an important security issue in Messenger."
Are you sure you tried WLM 2009 QFE3? If there was really a "important security issue" in that one XP users are screwed because that's the newest version they can use, WLM 2011 doesn't support XP.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-20-2010 06:59 AM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
Well, I am still using 14.0.8117 on Windows 7, and I can definitely log in.
10-20-2010 07:20 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
It's weird. I attempted to log into WLM9, but it wouldn't let me unless I upgraded. Eventually I gave in and just clicked Yes, but it didn't appear to do anything: it's still WLM9 but I can log in now. I have no idea if this will last though, so I'm still suspicious at the moment.
10-20-2010 07:23 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
It's weird. I attempted to log into WLM9, but it wouldn't let me unless I upgraded. Eventually I gave in and just clicked Yes, but it didn't appear to do anything: it's still WLM9 but I can log in now. I have no idea if this will last though, so I'm still suspicious at the moment.
It's not that weird though. You had a very old build before, which had security issues; aka it was not the last version of WLM 2009.

But yeah, it will last, as in: they wont force you to use WLM 2011 because that is not compatible with XP anymore; it is build for another OS.

But of course if there are new security issues found, you'll need to update again (but not to WLM 2011 - but to a new WLM 2009 build).

-----

Both versions (WLM 2009 and 2011) can be downloaded from the official Microsoft pages:
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger

All you need to do is clicking on the correct link on the big panel on the right: "WLM for Windows XP (WLM 2009)" or "WLM for Windows 7 (WLM 2011)".

WLM for XP (WLM 2009) is also available in Microsoft's Download Center btw:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-88C8-278267802F57

-----

And since WLM 2009 is the last version working on XP, it will continue to be available for quite some time (note: a version for Windows 2000 (MSN 7) is also still available from the official Microsoft Download Center).

This post was edited on 10-20-2010 at 10:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-20-2010 10:39 AM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: