What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » USB backports -> front accessible hub?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
USB backports -> front accessible hub?
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. USB backports -> front accessible hub?
On my mobo I have around 6 unused ports in the back, the problem is I want those ports to be accessible on my desk (so I can easily plug in/out).

Now I know I can get USB male to female cables, however I want them all to be in an enclosed box.

(I do NOT want a AC powered hub, I want 1:1 ratio so no splitting involved in the hub).

[Image: idea_17019.png]

mspaint explains.

Do such things exist, or will I have to buy my own enclosure and build my own like I did with my Audio Input Selector :zippy:

Thanks (l)

This post was edited on 10-09-2010 at 09:01 PM by prashker.
10-09-2010 09:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: USB backports -> front accessible hub?
They exist.

I have seen such panels (5 1/4") with a couple of USB ports in them being sold in some local PC shops over here. They came with short usb cables meant to be plugged in on the mobo.

PS: Try eBay also if you can't find something like that.

-------

EDIT:

Since you also made your own audio splitter thingie, this might interest you to build your own front panel connections and combinations: http://www.frontx.com/

They sell both pre-made panels, as (very interesting in your case) modular panels. eg: you can combine your usb ports and audio connections into one nice looking panel.

[Image: detail1b.jpg]

EDIT2: What menthix said about the cable lengths and grouping ;) So, make sure you check on that and then also check http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5.

This post was edited on 10-09-2010 at 10:29 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-09-2010 09:49 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Doubt that exists. What Cookie said ;)

Keep in mind though, there is probably already splitting going on in your motherboard. As in not all those 6 ports are fully powered. Perhaps they are split in 3 groups of 2, or even 2 groups of 3. Worth checking out before you waste money on 6 cables.

I have to ask, what do you need 6 fully powered ports accessible from desk for? :p

This post was edited on 10-09-2010 at 09:51 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-09-2010 09:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: USB backports -> front accessible hub?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I have seen such panels (5 1/4") with a couple of USB ports in them being sold in some local PC shops over here. They came with short usb cables meant to be plugged in on the mobo.

PS: Try eBay also if you can't find something like that.
Definitely going to check ebay I just didn't know what to search for to get non-splitting ones :zippy:

That frontx stuff is pretty cool but quite expensive for the task. Getting cables off ebay from a chinese seller will be < $1 a cable, and an enclosure will cost maybe $2 at a local electrical store so I refuse spending $16 for a Dual USB thing from them :p
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Keep in mind though, there is probably already splitting going on in your motherboard. As in not all those 6 ports are fully powered. Perhaps they are split in 3 groups of 2, or even 2 groups of 3. Worth checking out before you waste money on 6 cables.
I was aware of such groupings (I believe on my X58 it is indeed split into 3 groups of 2), however I just didn't want any further splitting than what was needed :p
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
I have to ask, what do you need 6 fully powered ports accessible from desk for?
Nothing special, just on occasion I swap quite frequently and going to the back is a pain, and splitting 1 port into 4 causes some issues (especially when it's my non-AC powered Rock Band hub :cheesy:)

This post was edited on 10-09-2010 at 11:09 PM by prashker.
10-09-2010 11:09 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Definitely going to check ebay I just didn't know what to search for to get non-splitting ones :zippy:
something like: usb front panel

But it's hard to search for such stuff when you don't want to have hubs (I don't think you can define "-hub" on ebay as you can on Google). You probably need to sift thru the found list yourself.

PS: You actually can make your own 1-to-1 connection from many simple USB hubs though if you can solder a bit. All you need to do is cut the connections to the splitter on the electronics board and solder (the correct) wires on to the sockets.

This post was edited on 10-10-2010 at 12:06 AM by CookieRevised.
10-09-2010 11:53 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
(I don't think you can define "-hub" on ebay as you can on Google)
You actually can, -<keyword> does get excluded. I use it quite frequently when sifting through for deals. Can't find anything though (even a replica of the frontx product)

quote:
PS: You actually can make your own 1-to-1 connection from many simple USB hubs though if you can solder a bit. All you need to do is cut the connections to the splitter on the electronics board and solder (the correct) wires on to the sockets.
I will definitely do that if I can't find a simpler solution.

This post was edited on 10-09-2010 at 11:59 PM by prashker.
10-09-2010 11:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
imo it will be the most easiest solution (if you can solder). It will also look the best because cutting out the rectangular holes for the usb connectors will be a bitch though and its extremely hard to get it nicely done and all lined up nicely.

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
That frontx stuff is pretty cool but quite expensive for the task. Getting cables off ebay from a chinese seller will be < $1 a cable, and an enclosure will cost maybe $2 at a local electrical store so I refuse spending $16 for a Dual USB thing from them :p
If you decide to build your own, don't buy an enclosure at all, simply get a blank 5.25" (or 3.5" whatever your PC has) front panel which costs like 5 cents or whatever, or even free if ask your local PC seller for one (nicely).

PS: you could also try to search the net for: usb bezel

This post was edited on 10-10-2010 at 12:20 AM by CookieRevised.
10-10-2010 12:08 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
imo it will be the most easiest solution (if you can solder). It will also look the best because cutting out the rectangular holes for the usb connectors will be a bitch though and its extremely hard to get it nicely done and all lined up nicely.
I can solder as that's how I did my SPDT switch for the Audio Selector. Even drilled the box myself :cheesy:

I don't exactly want them to be on the front of the case so a blank front panel wouldn't be helpful, I want to be a separate box that'll be on my desk (which is close but not close enough for my liking, however within the mentioned 4M limit of USB)

quote:
PS: you could also try to search the net for: usb bezel
Will do :zippy:

This post was edited on 10-10-2010 at 12:54 AM by prashker.
10-10-2010 12:52 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
PS: after looking around a bit, those modular front panels from FrontX don't seem to be so expensive anymore though...

Anyways, when searching I came across this too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/panel-mount-USB-2-0-female-Ma...ash=item35ace1e871

And this looks like it has 4x 1-to-1 USB connection (according to the comments)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N...ID=skim1132X509988

Here is a complete DIY guide for the exact thing you want:
http://www.azog.org/?p=152

EDIT: ah, you _don't_ want it on the front of your PC? Oh well.... /me slaps dodgy Sam :D Then why not simply connect 6 cables to the back of your PC and strap them together and glue the connectors on top of eachother? :p

And if you realy want to go fancy, do some shrinking tube around the 6 cables, and a big shrinking tube around glued together connectors....

This post was edited on 10-10-2010 at 01:06 AM by CookieRevised.
10-10-2010 12:57 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: USB backports -> front accessible hub?
quote:

EDIT: ah, you _don't_ want it on the front of your PC? Oh well.... /me slaps dodgy Sam :D Then why not simply connect 6 cables to the back of your PC and strap them together and glue the connectors on top of eachother? :p

And if you realy want to go fancy, do some shrinking tube around the 6 cables, and a big shrinking tube around glued together connectors....

YEEEEES :cry:

I could do the hillbilly solution but I wanted it enclosed! I wanted to know if there was a commercial pre-built product before I did it myself.

A shrink tube solution would allow for adding/removing easily, so I may do that, but I'd have to be careful not to mess up which end goes with which. I guess I could paint each connector end a different color, or a certain color of electrical tape.

This post was edited on 10-10-2010 at 01:19 AM by prashker.
10-10-2010 01:15 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: