What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » suggestion decryption of chatlogs (password recovery or reset)

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
suggestion decryption of chatlogs (password recovery or reset)
Author: Message:
nys_77

O.P. suggestion decryption of chatlogs (password recovery or reset)
hi i have forgotten the password of my chatlogs
After i did so many researches i figured out that there isn't any way to recover or reset my password
So please i suggest that in the newer version of messenger plus, there will be a secret question or a way like sending a reset link to the email..to be able to reset your lost password
I really need to reopen my old chatlogs, there are some precious information for me and it will be a great option to come

Thanks so much for your efforts anyway
10-20-2010 09:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
RE: suggestion decryption of chatlogs (password recovery or reset)
Hey,

There is a Password Hint function that allows you to set yourself a hint in case you forget.

Sorry that you cant access you chat-logs, but in the future you should keep passwords written down in a safe place or simple remember them.

Good Luck :)
10-20-2010 09:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by nys_77
there will be a secret question
What if you forget the answer to your secret question?

quote:
or a way like sending a reset link to the email
What would the secret link do? Messenger Plus!/Yuna doesn't know your password, they can't help you.

You can already set a hint for your password. The only way for Plus! to make it possible for Plus! to retrieve your password would be for them to actually store your password on their servers. Easier way would probably just be for you to either write the password down somewhere, pick a password you'll remember, or just don't use a password.

EDIT: What krissy said (:O).

This post was edited on 10-20-2010 at 09:41 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-20-2010 09:41 PM
nys_77

O.P. RE: suggestion decryption of chatlogs (password recovery or reset)
thank you guys for the reply

when u set the password u suppose that u won't forget it, therefore u don't put a hint.
but then, u face the fact that u've forgotten it, and it seems to be too late!:S.
Anyway since there is no solution for me, i would take it as a lesson for next time! "write down my passwords" especially those i don't use frequently

Btw Menthix a secret question would be a gd way for those who didn't use the hint option .. cz a secret question may be a hint by itself :)
storing our password in servers would be a great idea to begin with :)

Thank you anyway chrissy and menthix
10-21-2010 12:45 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Btw Menthix a secret question would be a gd way for those who didn't use the hint option .. cz a secret question may be a hint by itself :)
the secret question = the hint option...
That is exactly what the hint is for; to enter your secret question (if you want it to be in a question-form).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-21-2010 01:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
nys_77

O.P. RE: RE: suggestion decryption of chatlogs (password recovery or reset)
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
the secret question = the hint option...
That is exactly what the hint is for; to enter your secret question (if you want it to be in a question-form).

I meant that a right answer to the secret  question would let u reset ur password

Anyway i know it's not available right now. I was just hoping it would be available soon, cause i think many of us would find it helpful. Besides it'll solve some problems like mine
10-21-2010 05:09 PM
Adeptus

quote:
storing our password in servers would be a great idea to begin with
No, it would be a terrible idea.  While it may enable such things as email based password reset, it reduces the security and trustworthiness of the log encryption from relatively secure to a joke.

It would also enable Yuna to decode any chat log, which creates a whole new level of legal responsibility for them.  Demands for access would be pouring in, with the possibility of them getting sued for both decrypting somebody's logs and for refusing to do it.  I'm sure it is greatly preferable from their perspective to not have that ability and stay out of it.
10-21-2010 05:12 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I meant that a right answer to the secret  question would let u reset ur password
No, that is not possible.

It is not because this kind of scheme works for logins, that it also works for files.

Files are encrypted with the password. You need that password in order to decrypt it. So in order to 'reset' the password you must have the proper password in the first place, otherwise the files can not be decrypted before you even can begin to think about removing or resetting the old password.

Logins work in an entire different way. For logins you don't need the password to decrypt anything. The password is just the key to the door to get access. So with logins you can have a 'password reset' function, all you need to do is replace the key in that case.

To access encrypted files, you don't only need the correct key to open the door, but you also need that password to decypher the contents.

This post was edited on 10-21-2010 at 05:29 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-21-2010 05:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
...which creates a whole new level of legal responsibility for them.  Demands for access would be pouring in, with the possibility of them getting sued for both decrypting somebody's logs and for refusing to do it.
Good point I didn't even think of. Just like RIM where they have to provide access to government organizations in several countries now. Or at least that were the demands, RIM settled the issue but AFAIK didn't disclose what they actually ended up doing (I assume the worst).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-21-2010 05:30 PM
nys_77

O.P. RE: suggestion decryption of chatlogs (password recovery or reset)
CookieRevised thank you for the explanation now i see :)
10-21-2010 05:34 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: