What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Is this issue caused by plus?

Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
Is this issue caused by plus?
Author: Message:
kabso 5

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Is this issue caused by plus?
When they forced us to update
02-02-2011 04:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Is this issue caused by plus?
quote:
Originally posted by kabso 5
yup, correct....

Which leads me to think the security update was in part for this disabled link issue. As some (incl. me) have said before, they disabled linking because they had to react quickly. The only possible way for them at that time was to disable the feature
(they can enable/disable features on their part. Messenger will always contact the servers first before enabling a feature on your end, winks, sounds, etc can all be disabled by MS on a moment's notice). Since updating the client takes time (everything needs to be programmed -of course- and everything is tested again in all possible scenarios and that takes a long time) and not everybody would update by themselfs it was the only (and quite frankly logic imho) way at that moment.

And now, after some time, they fixed it, tested it and released a mandatory update... It all makes sense...

This post was edited on 02-02-2011 at 05:12 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-02-2011 05:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by kabso 5
yup, correct....

Which leads me to think the security update was in part for this disabled link issue. As some (incl. me) have said before, they disabled linking because they had to react quickly. The only possible way for them at that time was to disable the feature
(they can enable/disable features on their part. Messenger will always contact the servers first before enabling a feature on your end, winks, sounds, etc can all be disabled by MS on a moment's notice). Since updating the client takes time (everything needs to be programmed -of course- and everything is tested again in all possible scenarios and that takes a long time) and not everybody would update by themselfs it was the only (and quite frankly logic imho) way at that moment.

And now, after some time, they fixed it, tested it and released a mandatory update... It all makes sense...
Yeah, but I wish they could've designed it that people already using b8117 wouldn't be affected and could continue using their Messenger with links enabled... I mean, I have been using b8117 since it came out (it's last May isn't it), but my links were still disabled even though b8117 supposedly wouldn't be anything wrong :p
02-03-2011 10:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mynetx
Skinning Contest Winner

Microsoft insider

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
but my links were still disabled
Did you try redownloading and installing 8117?
mynetx - Microsoft, enhanced.

You have a problem or issue with Windows, Internet
Explorer or Office?
Send a tweet!
02-03-2011 10:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
Nah, I mean my links were still disabled for the "period" when everybody's links were disabled.
02-03-2011 10:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mynetx
Skinning Contest Winner

Microsoft insider

36 / Male / Flag
Yes, because the global serverside switch was still set to "disable links".
mynetx - Microsoft, enhanced.

You have a problem or issue with Windows, Internet
Explorer or Office?
Send a tweet!
02-03-2011 10:33 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Nah, I mean my links were still disabled for the "period" when everybody's links were disabled.
hmmm, that means their 'enable/disable features remotely' thingie isn't version/build specific I guess... They probably thought it was justified since not a lot of people were already using that build. Either disable it all, or have the risk that the worm would spread like wild fire... could be that, maybe not, who knows...

This said, then I wonder why they didn't force update everybody in that case from the beginning ... hmmm
Or maybe it was just a coincidence then that the links were enabled again and the 'new' build was pushed out?

This post was edited on 02-03-2011 at 04:58 PM by CookieRevised.
02-03-2011 04:57 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
Assuming this was a server-side setting; one could assume that a small part of the Messenger department spent some modest time researching the risks and possible spreading through new versions. By simply initiating a forced update, the security still wouldn't be guaranteed and could cause double the discomfort, not to mention added negative reputation. Perhaps even a server side fix was needed to make sure the reported problem could not manifest itself in different forms. If that happens, it could lead to countless minor "fixes" and new versions of the worm along with it. Seems logical that as soon as they got their malfunction fixed with certainty when the service is used in conjunction with a specific build, they would force everyone to update to that build and re-enable options that caused risks before.

On a side note, I'm not one to trash talk Microsoft where it's not due, but I would say that it's not uncommon for Microsoft's services to be quite delayed when it comes to "minor" bugs. On the other hand, when a fix does arrive, it's usually very effective and not quick to be circumvented by users with malicious intentions.

This post was edited on 02-03-2011 at 05:37 PM by Arcticwolfx.
02-03-2011 05:36 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Makes sense...

PS:
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
Assuming this was a server-side setting;
If you mean the enabling/disabling of features, then yes, it is done server-side. Besides hotlinks, these also include winks, file transfer, display pictures, dynamic backgrounds, photo sharing, phone, voiceim, voicemail, plugins, camera, audio, sharing folders, signature sounds, location PSM, ... all can be disabled globally by MS via a server side-setting.

This post was edited on 02-03-2011 at 05:50 PM by CookieRevised.
02-03-2011 05:48 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
My bad again, with "server side setting" I meant to say "Global," as in non-version specific, like you've mentioned in your post before.
02-03-2011 06:16 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: