What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Anyway to backup contacts? WLM 2011

Anyway to backup contacts? WLM 2011
Author: Message:
jgv115

O.P. Anyway to backup contacts? WLM 2011
I made a new Windows Live account (my previous one was WAY too childish) and now I have no contacts. Since my old account had 150+ contacts, it would take me ages to copy them one by one. Is there anyway to import/export?

Thanks in advanced!
11-15-2010 08:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Justin

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Anyway to backup contacts? WLM 2011
Sign in to the address you want to get the contacts from.

Go to:
Contacts > Save instant messaging contacts

Sign in to the address you want to add the contacts to.

Then:
Contacts > Import instant messaging contacts

Just load up the .ctt you saved.

------------------------

I haven't used 2011 seeing as I'm still on XP, but I'd assume this feature would still be there.
11-15-2010 09:24 AM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Justin
I'd assume this feature would still be there.
Unfortunately, No :p it's not even present on WLM 2009. Take a look at CookieRevised's reply to How can i save all the emails on my messenger to computer

This post was edited on 11-15-2010 at 09:30 AM by Mnjul.
11-15-2010 09:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
jgv115

O.P. RE: Anyway to backup contacts? WLM 2011
Thanks guys, I imported the csv.

If Microsoft could remove the capcha code that comes up every 10 contacts imported it would make the feature much better.

Thanks guys.
11-15-2010 10:16 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jgv115
If Microsoft could remove the capcha code that comes up every 10 contacts imported it would make the feature much better.
They wont remove it.

The captcha is to prevent spammers from adding massive loads of emails at a time.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-15-2010 10:49 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cholako

34 / Male / Flag
Hi there! I followed all the instructions and I got all my contacts on Windows Live Mail website; but they do not appear on my Messenger! :(
I did EXACTLY as it says:
Older account, go to CONTACTS, then MESSENGER (left menu), then MANAGE / Export

The same on the new account but I pressed MANAGE / Import; I did it selecting either Outlook or Windows Live Mail and both cases came out the same result: all the contacrs are loaded as e-mail contacts, but none as Messenger contacts... can you please help me with this? thanks a lot!
01-15-2011 10:12 PM
game90

i have the exact same problem as cholako. the imported contacts doesnt show up as messenger contacts, only as email contacts. Please advice?
01-21-2011 02:40 AM
cholako

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Anyway to backup contacts? WLM 2011
quote:
Originally posted by game90
i have the exact same problem as cholako. the imported contacts doesnt show up as messenger contacts, only as email contacts. Please advice?

I FINALLY GOT IT!!!
Once you have imported all your contacts from the file, you have to go to Contacts and look on your left for the "Add Friends" (you can access it also from "messenger, add friends" on the upper bar).
There look for the "select from your contact list" button below the box dialog you have there and voilá! you can select all of your preoviusly imported contacts and add them to Messenger

(the names of the buttons and menus are not exactly the same cause I have it in Spanish and I translated them, but you get the idea!)
01-21-2011 04:50 AM
game90

which version are you using? i am using 14.0.8117.416

i avoid WLM 2011 because i really dislike it's design. and for some reason the contact groups doesn't show up in 2011 version, it lumps them all together without the separate grouping.

This post was edited on 01-21-2011 at 04:57 AM by game90.
01-21-2011 04:57 AM
cholako

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Anyway to backup contacts? WLM 2011
quote:
Originally posted by game90
which version are you using? i am using 14.0.8117.416

i avoid WLM 2011 because i really dislike it's design. and for some reason the contact groups doesn't show up in 2011 version, it lumps them all together without the separate grouping.

I am using the same version as you are.
Everything as explained must be done through the hotmail website, not the Messenger program... If you've already accomplished the first step (importing from the CSV file), you are just one step away!
Look, I'm uploading two images showing how you should proceed AFTER you have imported your contacts from the CSV file. The difference is that you import "contacts", and for Windows Live, the Messenger cotacts are now called "friends".
Look at the images, I marked with red dots the places you have to click. It is in Spanish but I believe you will have the same layout with different language...

1) Go to MEESENGER/CONTACTS from the upper bar and look for the option "ADD FRIENDS" on the left menu
[Image: dibujofie.jpg]

2) Select the option just below the box
[Image: dibujo2rme.jpg]

3) Select the contacts you want to transfer to Messenger (be careful you have two categories of contacts here, first you have "the ones that use Messenger" and if you scroll down you will see more contacts as a second category). They don't let you add more than 200 contacts and you have to enter a captcha code if your account is not verified...
[Image: dibujo3cq.jpg]

I hope it helps!

This post was edited on 01-21-2011 at 12:12 PM by cholako.
01-21-2011 12:08 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: