What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN will not open

Pages: (6): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
MSN will not open
Author: Message:
jennyspider

O.P. MSN will not open
I get this when i try to open the sign in page for the newest msn

'The application has failed to start because its side- by- side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail'

I have no idea what to do please can someone help?

This post was edited on 11-17-2010 at 06:29 PM by jennyspider.
11-17-2010 06:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN will not open
You're going to need to open Windows Event Viewer so that you can see when these errors started and what else happened around that time. There are reports of this error message with many different programs so it is not something specifically wrong with WLM, just that something has caused a problem with one of it's files.

Usually in this situation, a re-install will not help.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
11-17-2010 06:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jennyspider

O.P. RE: MSN will not open
how do you open windows event viewer?
11-17-2010 06:38 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
Either open the start menu, type "Event viewer" and hit enter.
or
Click Start -> Control Panel -> System and security
Under "Administrative tools" you'll see "View event logs"
11-17-2010 07:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
jennyspider

so what should i do when iv got that up cus i have no idea how to solve the problem :/
11-17-2010 09:01 PM
BandAid3030

We need to know what OS you're using. If you're looking for diagnostic help, more information is better.

Here's a step by step diagnostic approach for Vista and W7:
1.) Click on Start Menu.
2.) Search for "eve" (OR locate Event Viewer under programs) and launch the Event Viewer.
3.) In the resulting window, the left hand pane has several categories. Select "Windows Logs" and then "Application" from the drop down.
4.) In the center pane double click on "Application".
5.) Search for the error event that pertains to your problem and record the event ID#.

I'm willing to bet money that the Event ID is either 78 or 33.

An event with ID 78 will have the following wording:
"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Error in manifest or policy file "" on line. A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are: <HERE IS WHERE THE COMPONENTS ARE LISTED>"

If you have an event with ID 33:
"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Dependent Assembly <ASSEMBLY IS MENTIONED HERE> could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

If you can establish what the Event ID is and what file(s) in the Winsxs folder are giving your MSN grief, I might be able to help.

Cheers.
11-19-2010 11:37 PM
jennyspider

Thankyou :)
I got "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

and the event ID is 33
11-20-2010 01:19 PM
BandAid3030

RE: RE: MSN will not open
quote:
Originally posted by jennyspider
Thankyou :)
I got "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

and the event ID is 33

Hi, Jenny.

It appears that you don't have the Visual C++ Redistributable required for MSN, but that may not be your fault, and it may not even be true.

**I assume that you're using Vista 32 bit because you didn't supply me with an OS and you used the steps I outlined for Vista.**

I'm sure that you've most likely attempted this, but we're going to try and update the files that contain the Visual C++ DLLs that are used in the side by side manifest of msnmsgr.exe.

Click on your Start Menu.
Click on Control Panel.
Under "Programs" click on "Uninstall a program".
The programs window will then compile all of the programs installed on your computer. You want to scroll down until you locate any entry with the following:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x## #.#.#####.##

If you find one or more files there, make a note of them. We will try and fix the problem here and now, but if it doesn't work, I need you to give me all the information you can.

Leave this window open, and don't uninstall anything.

The next step is to download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable and the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Service Pack.

Install each of those, in the order downloaded and AS AN ADMINISTRATOR, and you should be fine.

If this does not fix the problem, we will need to uninstall and reinstall some things.

With your Uninstall Programs window still open (Ahhh, see why we left it open?) Uninstall each of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 entries that you find. Following this, we need to uninstall Microsoft Live Messenger itself, this can be accomplished by scrolling down in your "Uninstall Programs" window to "Windows Live Essentials 2011" (Assuming you're using 2011). Double click on this entry and uninstall EVERY WINDOWS LIVE PROGRAM in the window that comes up.

Following this, you should restart your computer.

Once booted up, reinstall Windows Live Messenger, and then each of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 redistributables that I linked to above.

This should fix your problem for you.

If it didn't, then there is another step we can try.

If this worked for you, please be sure to tell us exactly what you did so that others with this problem can find the solution as well.

If this didn't work for you, tell me what programs you found under the Uninstall Programs window for your Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables.

Hope that works.

Keep me posted, we'll get this fixed.

-BA.

This post was edited on 11-20-2010 at 09:31 PM by BandAid3030.
11-20-2010 09:30 PM
jennyspider

Thankyou soooo much :D it works now :)
I uninstalled all the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
and MSN and then i restarted i also installed the links then decided to uninstall them after my rebooting then downloaded msn again and it worked :)
11-20-2010 10:47 PM
BandAid3030

Excellent to hear!

Microsoft hasn't provided nearly enough support for this problem, and the problem is almost certainly on their end.

Every user that I know of who has encountered this has had no idea how to fix it and Microsoft has provided little to no legitimate support for it.

Glad I could help you get this fixed.

-BA
11-20-2010 11:17 PM
Pages: (6): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: