What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Toshiba

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Toshiba
Author: Message:
wacky

Chromo :wink:

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Toshiba
quote:
Originally posted by albert
If you really want something reliable, take a good look at Thinkpads. Professional laptops are more expensive, but are made to last longer; their priority is quality, not afford-ability.
I've been looking at the G560 of the Essential Laptops, which isn't a Professional laptop. Will it be lesser quality because it isn't a Pro? :-/
This one:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/w...2D9836E78657F72EEC
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The reason why people say that their laptop/pc starts to lag or slow down after a while is mostly because they don't do proper (software) maintenance on a regular basis. I always say a pc/laptop is like a big industrial machine: without proper maintenance they tend to brake down. But with proper maintenance they can last a lifetime so to speak (unless it falls on the ground :p)
well the comments I found seem to be of people who knew something about computers and this slowing down occurred even in some cases after only a couple weeks
quote:
As for Intel vs AMD, personally I'd choose Intel. But that is also because I don't realy have that much experience with AMD. Though, I never thought of Intel as 'overpriced'. Also, in my experience, you have a bigger choice in brands and models with Intel processors than with AMD processors, but that is maybe because AMD is less 'popular' in Europe, dunno.
I've looked around and they seem to be about the same price :chrongue: I've found quite a few models that can come with one or the other. But yeah, I'm more tempted to go towards Intel, I don't actually have any reason for this *-)
quote:
eg: My sister's (the vet ;)) old laptop was a Toshiba too and now she has again choosen for a Toshiba (better specs, newer model). She hasn't had any problems with it yet and she takes it with her on the road sometimes, so...
oh nice :happy: good to know! Thanks Cooks!
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
I also believe in what Cookie says, it's not slow hardware it's bloated software that makes the user experience miserable. If you're buying a laptop with a bunch of bloat, I'd recommend cleaning out the trial software or, as cliche as it sounds, re-installing the os from scratch. Most recovery media also includes that nasty trial software, so it may not help.

ya, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to. Just having to deal with all the new apps and cleaning everything
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
I'd also recommend avoiding the Dell Vostro series, and lower End dell E series business laptops. We have a bunch at work and nobody really likes them. Vostros are re-badged consumer laptops for most purposes, and the new E series the quality just doesn't seem to be there. We used to use Dell D-series and we loved them but not the same with the E. I know this doesn't help your Satellite decision, but I figured I'd throw that in there. 
I didn't have Dell in mind at all so I won't keep it as an option. I am really confused as to what to get already, like you said :chrongue:
quote:
If I'm not mistaken there are two kinds of Satellites; Satellites and Satellites Pros, the first being consumer and the second obviously a being professional level.
yeah, and I was going for a consumer one:
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&secti...part=11376#spectop

but there is also the Pro:
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&secti...part=11112#spectop

bah, I'm still super confused :chrongue:
12-18-2010 06:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Toshiba
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
If you really want something reliable, take a good look at Thinkpads. Professional laptops are more expensive, but are made to last longer; their priority is quality, not afford-ability.
I've been looking at the G560 of the Essential Laptops, which isn't a Professional laptop. Will it be lesser quality because it isn't a Pro?
This one:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/w...2D9836E78657F72EEC

I've honestly never used a Lenovo consumer machine, so sadly I wouldn't be able to tell you..

It's a lot easier if you have a set budget on mind. The specs for this one are actually great, and having a Core i3 is faster than Pentium processors, but to be honest I don't believe you'll need it.

At that budget, you could get a well configured Thinkpad in the SL series.. driven by a Core2Duo which does the job pretty well (that's what I have on my t400).
12-18-2010 10:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

I generally agree with what was already said, but will add a few details and also some personal opinions.

First, when it comes to laptop brands, there is a difference in what is typically found in a local retail store and what is available online.  There are exceptions to this, but the top store retail brands are Toshiba and HP, followed by Acer, Sony and whatever else they may have.  In US and Canada, Lenovo Thinkpads and Dell laptops are primarily sold by direct online order.  If you are going to buy from a retail store and this is how it must be (because you have to lay hands on it first or it's easier for you to pay cash), Toshiba is probably a fine choice. 

HP is complicated because years ago, HP bought Compaq.  There is true HP and there is ex-Compaq HP, each having different strengths.  You are not considering it and I won't get into those complexities unless you decide to look at HP lineups.

Thinkpad is the laptop line that was originally made by IBM, the guys who have been around forever and invented the computing platform that has evolved into today's Windows PCs.  Thinkpads have traditionally had one entry level model, a very well made but about average laptop, with the rest of the line devoted to being the best money can buy in various categories (and priced accordingly). 

As an example, the Thinkpad I had several years ago was constructed mostly of titanium alloys instead of plastic, to make it thinner and lighter than any comparable laptop of the day.  Thinkpads have a well earned reputation for being nearly indestructible.  In my opinion, the only competition to Thinkpads is Apple, the difference being Apple also sells you a different operating system, while a Thinkpad is definitely a PC and a much more conservative, business-like design.  You can't go wrong with one, but it will cost you.

IBM sold the Thinkpad line to Lenovo some years ago.  It seems that Lenovo retained the original design teams and philosophy and a Thinkpad is still a Thinkpad, but you should be aware that Lenovo also markets non-Thinkpad laptops and I have no idea whether those are any good.  "Lenovo" something or other without "Thinkpad" in the name is a completely different product.

I do think you should take a close look at what Dell offers.  Sorry to contribute to your already confusing array of choices, but Dell is very competitive on cost and they make great products.  It won't be Thinkpad build quality, but it will easily beat Toshiba, HP and similar at a competitive price point.  Dells are remarkably easy to service, should you ever wish to repair or upgrade something yourself.  They last well -- Dell is what we buy at work for three year rotations, and most of the units come out looking fine to go a few more years when decommissioned.

On the Intel vs. AMD issue, go Intel.  There are always people who will religiously back the underdog (AMD), but the fact is AMD has been behind on performance for several years now and they have always been behind on power consumption and thermal management, which are major issues for a laptop.  I don't keep up with every latest development and there may be something I don't know, but having watched this competition for years, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind when I advise you to go with Intel.
12-19-2010 06:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
YottabyteWizard

36 / Male / Flag
Pretty much everything has been said already.... but just to confirm from experience too...

I'm a huge AMD fan, but really... for laptops definitely go with Intel.

Toshiba's are good, however Thinkpads are way better in any possible way, awesome durability.

quote:

As for HP, I have had several HP PCs and a budget HP laptop, although I haven't used that laptop that much, I never realy had any problems with it. But as Albert said, there are horror stories for each brand though. (and quite frankly, I often tend to believe that a big factor/culprint in those horror stories is actually the person using the laptop).

Albert is correct in saying that these days laptops are made to be budget friendly instead of long-lasting. But my experience is also that these days there are no realy "bad" bad brands anymore either. Ok, there are some top quality brands, true, but you pay for it too in that case. But in the budget friendly category, it usually is all very similar quality stuff though.

Well that's interesting, lot of people I know from school and work that use an HP, believe me ALL of them have had problems with their HPs at least once, from optical disc reader to hard drive, motherboard and PSU problems. They do break a lot.

This study is a bit old (Apr 2010)... [Study Reliability Study] ...however the results aren't that bad and I could say they kinda match the experiences I had... except for Lenovo which I differ a lot, but oh well. Kinda gives you an idea.

This post was edited on 12-19-2010 at 08:21 PM by YottabyteWizard.
12-19-2010 08:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
About HP, I don't know much about their consumer laptops, but I do have a nc8430 (pro) that's 4y. old and am really pleased with it. The price was set accordingly though :-P
[Image: rdmazu.php]
12-19-2010 09:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Wacky, this might not be the brand that you way, but it seems a very good deal for power/price and quality:

http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/index.php/flyers2010/image_full/391/

The one on the right.
12-20-2010 04:27 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Actually, scratch that, check the one on the right, at 499.99.

Toshiba C650D-028
i3-370M
4GB, 500GB

http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/index.php/flyers2010/image_full/212/

This post was edited on 12-20-2010 at 04:33 AM by albert.
12-20-2010 04:31 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: