What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Messenger Plus! 5 information

Pages: (44): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 11 12 » Last »
5 votes - 2.4 average   Messenger Plus! 5 information
Author: Message:
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 5 information
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
Originally posted by foaly
If Yuna's vision is so focussed on the community, maybe it would have been a good idea to let the community vote on the website design...
if yuna is so focused on the community they should've contacted surfichris (oh surprise, developer of mybboard) so he could help out with the integration of the website and these forums. The forums on the new website lack most of the features that makes this board so cool :P i doubt they can make it nearly as good, specially considering they're using a generic CMS :p

i thought they at least tried to integrate mybb with the website, but for what surfichris said 2 pages back, apparently they did not.

Yuna, you're still in time to fix it and integrate them. You just dont understand how usefull many of the features are, both for users and mods/admins. I doubt you can emulate something as good as mybb considering it's taken years to make it THIS good. Trust me, i've seen these forums (and mybb in general) evolve for the past 8 years.

Can only the beta testers see the new forum?

Yuna for some weird reason wants to create their own forum, most likely so they can own it (WDZ owns this one) and now they are making excuses "oh it's too hard to integrate website and this forum"

By getting rid of this forum, you will destroy the community. Seems YUNA has been getting good at this lately.
12-31-2010 12:48 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: Messenger Plus! 5 information
quote:
i thought they at least tried to integrate mybb with the website, but for what surfichris said 2 pages back, apparently they did not.

I could entirely be wrong on that - all I can say is that I was never approached with any questions and I doubt WDZ was either. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Can only the beta testers see the new forum?

Yes, as it's part of the new integrated website.

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Yuna for some weird reason wants to create their own forum, most likely so they can own it (WDZ owns this one)
I wouldn't say there's a particular owner here, but if you were then ultimately it belongs to Messenger Plus!, which belongs to Yuna.
12-31-2010 12:57 AM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
So who's gonna leak version 5 this year?
12-31-2010 12:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
So who's gonna leak version 5 this year?
nobody, that's a point of a select beta team, isn't it?
[Image: Empty.png]
12-31-2010 01:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
Someone is bound too.
12-31-2010 01:02 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Discrate,

- Show me where they made that 'excuse', Discrate. If you can't then don't put words in their mouth.
If you're refering to what Jeiff said that they tried to merge the existing forum and site together and found it to be a nightmare, I don't see that as an 'excuse'. If anything, I see that as an effort to accomodate to what you and others are requesting at this moment. And I also believe that it is not just a day or two of work to make it so, like surfichris claims.
Even WDZ himself once said that it would be easier to start from scratch than to trying to improve on the forums because of all the mods. Again, it is not just putting the two together as in put the forum into a frame in the main site. The whole point of the merging is that everything will work together, especially the forum account, script/skin/sounds databases, etc...

- They are not going/planning to get rid of this forum! It has been said and explained billions of times before to you and others that this forum is going to be integrated into the main website. That's not "getting rid of". All the posts will be there, all the users. Only the interface will change. And I don't see how an interface change is going to "destroy a community".... But if you don't want to be part of that, fine, then by all means please leave....

This post was edited on 12-31-2010 at 02:13 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-31-2010 01:02 AM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
- Show me where they made that 'excuse', Discrate. If you can't then su.

- They are not going/planning to get rid of this forum! It has been said and explained billions of times before to you and others that this forum is going to be integrated into the main website. That's not "getting rid of". All the posts will be there, all the users. Only the interface will change. And I don't see how an interface change is going to "destroy a community".... But if you don't want to part of that, fine, then by all means please leave....
But why do all that when you can just leave the forum and change the interface on that?
12-31-2010 01:04 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Why have the GFDD design team been ditched? The website, logo and software UI would have been 10x better if they had continued designing it.
Heh :) Thanks!

I wanted to congratulate the Yuna team on the hard work, I know how complex these kind of projects are, but also wanted to clarify exactly that -- that we at GFDD Group (or rather Marketica, the new brand for our design department) didn't make any of this. We worked on the GUI design and Website design and development for Messenger Plus 2, 3, 3.5, 4 and 4.5 between 2002 and 2009.

From what I'm aware, the reason for the policy change when Yuna came along was that they preferred to keep the design team in-house.

Regardless, happy new year everyone and hope to see you again soon!
hey guido, nice to know from you! Im glad your business has done so well, congrats on that one, i remember when it was just you at the beginning, making crazy concepts for the logo (i still have some of them in my computer lol) :).

Have a happy new year :D

Edit:
quote:
Only the interface will change.

it's not just a chaange of interface, it's a change of software, aka less features and such :P. Just wanted to make that clear.

This post was edited on 12-31-2010 at 01:07 AM by Chrono.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
12-31-2010 01:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Chrissy,

A lot needs to be done and re-programmed for integrating the forums (incl. the others with diff. languages), the scripting and skinning database, etc. It is not just a matter of 'making a new skin' for this forum and be done with it.

And "making the interface" is exactly what they are doing now, and what they continue to do after the release, because it will very obviously not be finished by then.

This post was edited on 12-31-2010 at 01:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-31-2010 01:06 AM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 5 information
quote:
Discrate,

- They are not going/planning to get rid of this forum! It has been said and explained billions of times before to you and others that this forum is going to be integrated into the main website. That's not "getting rid of". All the posts will be there, all the users. Only the interface will change. And I don't see how an interface change is going to "destroy a community".... But if you don't want to be part of that, fine, then by all means please leave....
Hi Cookie! I think he was referring to getting rid of "this" forum, not as in these messages, but as in this customized version of MyBB with its emoticons, tools, shoutbox, reputation, etc.

I don't particularly like how this was dealt with, especially considering how many years of their lives people like Surfichris and WDZ (in consensus with the community*) put into getting these forums the way we see them today and how much money Yuna will have to put into getting it to this same point from scratch.

* I still remember all the huge threads from a few years ago about forum improvements like the reputation feature and the elite member badge... :cry:

Read more: Messenger Plus! Community Forums story

quote:
hey guido, nice to know from you! Im glad your business has done so well, congrats on that one, i remember when it was just you at the beginning, making crazy concepts for the logo (i still have some of them in my computer lol) .
Hey! Thanks, those are days I'll never forget!
PS: Remember the competition between the gfdrin and the chrongue? :gfdrin: :chrongue:

This post was edited on 12-31-2010 at 01:17 AM by Guido.
12-31-2010 01:11 AM
Pages: (44): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 11 12 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: