What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Messenger Plus! 5 information

Pages: (44): « First « 28 29 30 31 [ 32 ] 33 34 35 36 » Last »
5 votes - 2.4 average   Messenger Plus! 5 information
Author: Message:
botpet

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus! 5 information
I think this team doesn't have enought beta testers. There should be PUBLIC Beta versions, and this way more bugs could be revealed. And people may be less upset and could try the beta version, and if they are not satisfied can switch back to 4.9 ("fully compatible version" - fully compatible Plus! button [it does nothing] :D ). Forum also have Bug report section, anyone could write about the bugs there, and maybe the final "bug-free" version could come out earlier.
02-02-2011 05:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Taxidriver05

40 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by botpet
I think this team doesn't have enought beta testers. There should be PUBLIC Beta versions, and this way more bugs could be revealed. And people may be less upset and could try the beta version, and if they are not satisfied can switch back to 4.9 ("fully compatible version" - fully compatible Plus! button [it does nothing] :D ). Forum also have Bug report section, anyone could write about the bugs there, and maybe the final "bug-free" version could come out earlier.

a nice proposal... ;)
02-02-2011 05:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Taxidriver05
quote:
a nice proposal... ;)
Which wouldn't have worked for this version in the way you think it would have because of various reasons I'm not going into atm.

Just that for each existing public beta of a software there has always been, and always will be, a private beta testing phase too. And that is exactly what is been done now. Simply consider this entire time as that private beta testing phase before a public beta testing phase if you will... So the entire reason for your argument ("so the public can get their hands on it") is mute since the public will get their hands on it soonish and they can go bug hunting and reporting bugs all they want soonish...

The only difference will be the lack of the label 'beta', but that is all, just a 4-letter word in the AboutBox would be all the difference between what is happening now and what you prupose...

This post was edited on 02-02-2011 at 07:47 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-02-2011 05:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
YOU AREN'T GOING TO GET YOUR HANDS ON A RELEASE FROM THE PRIVATE BETA; SO STOP ASKING!

YOU AREN'T GOING TO BECOME A PART OF THE BETA TEAM.

We don't know anything more than you do. Kimahri Software imforms Nathalie (from Yuna Software a date), she then informs the community.

This post was edited on 02-02-2011 at 06:27 PM by matty.
02-02-2011 06:27 PM
botpet

35 / Male / Flag
Hm :)
I didnt ask for any actual private beta versions. My Suggestion is about the future. Before final version (that may be ready in months, since no sure date for release) there could be released a specialy prepared public version. But I am not in the team, and i don't know more details, so my opinion is just an outstander's opinion :)
02-02-2011 06:38 PM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Sure, why don't developers just throw their creations straight at the public so the whole world can help testing it? Unfortunately, things don't work that way. :^)

First of all, there are very good reasons to go through a private testing stage first. When a new build is compiled, it could contain massive bugs which may potentially affect a lot of users and may even result in a loss of data. (Cookie can testify this. Poor Cookie.) If such a build would be released to the public, it could harm thousands of computers and destroy the reputation of the program forever.

Also, most of the users won't test the program properly. They'll just run with it, use it like they're used to and don't care about the features they don't use - potentially missing a bug. If they would find a problem, they probably won't even go to the forums to report it but go complain somewhere else which makes it impossible to track the issues. If they'd manage to find these forums and create a thread, it's very likely that their report will be very vague and doesn't provide much interesting details such as system information or step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce the problem. I'm not saying that every user is like this, I'm talking about the "average" user here. Private beta testers not only make detailed bug reports, they also go through the whole features set trying out every possible combination and pushing the software to its limits. Heck, they'd even mess with their files and registry if they had to and see how the program reacts. A very rare breed indeed. :P

This post was edited on 02-02-2011 at 06:41 PM by Matti.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
02-02-2011 06:39 PM
Dragunov

42 / Male / Flag
No hurry.

I know how much testing is required for a product.

In the past I did some betatests myself (especially games, official ones and mods).

I guess some people just see the beautiness of it, just to have new stuff in their hands.

But testing requires alot of patience, time and goodwill...

So go ahead and make us proud ;)
- HP Envy 17

- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

betatested: Atlantis, Troopers, U2XMP, Far Cry MP

02-02-2011 06:57 PM
botpet

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 5 information
quote:
Originally posted by Matti

Sure, why don't developers just throw their creations straight at the public so the whole world can help testing it? Unfortunately, things don't work that way. :^)
I have examples where it is working:
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=161942
And a tutorial like this can help a lot.
The beta version just should not be put out on the main page.
quote:

First of all, there are very good reasons to go through a private testing stage first. When a new build is compiled, it could contain massive bugs which may potentially affect a lot of users and may even result in a loss of data. (Cookie can testify this. Poor Cookie.) If such a build would be released to the public, it could harm thousands of computers and destroy the reputation of the program forever.
This is absolutly true, that's why alpha versions are on private testing. But near-end versions IMO contains less bugs. (@Cookie: sorry about the accident.) And if you put a "Beta section" into the forum, like this: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=20, only those people will find it, who want.
quote:

Also, most of the users won't test the program properly. They'll just run with it, use it like they're used to and don't care about the features they don't use - potentially missing a bug. If they would find a problem, they probably won't even go to the forums to report it but go complain somewhere else which makes it impossible to track the issues. If they'd manage to find these forums and create a thread, it's very likely that their report will be very vague and doesn't provide much interesting details such as system information or step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce the problem. I'm not saying that every user is like this, I'm talking about the "average" user here. Private beta testers not only make detailed bug reports, they also go through the whole features set trying out every possible combination and pushing the software to its limits. Heck, they'd even mess with their files and registry if they had to and see how the program reacts. A very rare breed indeed. :P
You are right in some cases, but:
1. Who said public testers should test every part of the program? :) They test what they use, and this way maybe an order could be written about bugs, more and less important ones.
2. I am not sure if the few beta testers can test in every environments and every cases. More tersters, more stable final version.
02-02-2011 07:03 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
I think the people who create free software should do things the way they want to do it and we should sit with our hands open and wait till something good falls into them :P
02-02-2011 07:18 PM
piposervisair

Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful

48 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 5 information
quote:
Originally posted by matty
YOU AREN'T GOING TO GET YOUR HANDS ON A RELEASE FROM THE PRIVATE BETA; SO STOP ASKING!

YOU AREN'T GOING TO BECOME A PART OF THE BETA TEAM.

We don't know anything more than you do. Kimahri Software imforms Nathalie (from Yuna Software a date), she then informs the community.

If a person TALKS WITH BIG LETTERS THAT MEANS THEY SHOUT TO PEOPLE so stop souting to people. When a small group of Beta tester are here, that looks like a Sect like the people at Wako!!!!!! Make a public beta, like Mozilla is doing (Mozilla is ALSO for free) Im a beta tester for Mozilla for years now, and they love to release Public, because they get a lot of bugs reports.

OPEN SOURCE IS THE WORD I WILL USE HERE......

But i see what it is here.........

p.s. to all people if i find any torrent i will post it here :D

02-02-2011 08:21 PM
Pages: (44): « First « 28 29 30 31 [ 32 ] 33 34 35 36 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: