What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
Author: Message:
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
Your "edit descriptions" are needlessly detailed. Nobody actually cares why you made an edit. Even the fact that it occurred is borderline superfluous.

Anyway, if you lead a team of developers I can only thank a non-existent god that I don't work for you. If you force everyone to do something *one* way and one way only, I imagine working under you is hell.

Your attitude about this whole thing just comes across as arrogant.

Furthermore, I think the "useless" javascript you're referring to, is simply ASP.NET. Note that I haven't taken a close look at the website, as whether it's bad or not is not really the point here.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
02-08-2011 07:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Talk2Luke

quote:
Originally posted by Thor
I agree with you on most points, but WordPress is -- and remains -- a security trap. I'd rather go with something less.. exploitable in many cases, such as Drupal or even try TYPO3, but that's a whole different story. Just saying; WordPress isn't the most ideal CMS for a site like Messenger Plus! Live.

Except for that, I agree.

What security exploits are there? If I was worried that my developers couldn't handle a security fix, I'd opt for a license CMS such as ExpressionEngine. That thing is tight.

Edit: Added response to Thor!!
WordPress has a horrible security track record when it comes to security exploits. The problem isn't the open security exploits screaming in your face, but rather how often a security exploit is discovered here and there.

Not to mention that it's horrible performance wise right out of the box.

In the end, that's not what this topic is about, but my personal opinion is that WordPress is for blogging. If you're not going to be blogging and/or that's not what your site's focus is on: don't use WordPress. You can, but I wouldn't. There are more suitable and flexible alternatives with a better foundation.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
02-08-2011 08:05 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
traxor

traxor_v2

O.P. RE: Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Your "edit descriptions" are needlessly detailed. Nobody actually cares why you made an edit. Even the fact that it occurred is borderline superfluous.

It's a habit after using forums which require a description. I add them so people know the reason for the edit, I admit a lot of them are a bit pointless but I don't want people to think I'm editing important information from them. I'll stop doing that.

quote:
Anyway, if you lead a team of developers I can only thank a non-existent god that I don't work for you. If you force everyone to do something *one* way and one way only, I imagine working under you is hell.

I don't lead developers, but I've the most experience in front-end development and do something which works. It's something we've discussed and I've spent time developing. I haven't forced them to do anything and I never will force them to do it. There are, however, right ways of doing things and I make sure I do all of those. That includes commenting and semantic, re-usable naming of elements. So it's something we spend time really thinking about, rather than making decisions spur of the moment which are detrimental to the rest of the site.

Everyone I work with appreciates that there's a reason to be semantic and that there's a reason we should all be on the same level for HTML/CSS. If we weren't, it'd be an absolute nightmare. I don't think anybody can tell me I'm incorrect for having a set way of doing things... Obviously you can be as lenient as possible, but what's the point of that?

Fortunately, the guys I work with also really care about the same stuff in their code. For example, the lead developer abhors spaces instead of tabs, so we all switched to tabs... A slight change that took us 5 minutes each, but now we're on the same level. The suggestions I have only take people an extra few moments and they make a lot of sense if you think about it.

quote:
Your attitude about this whole thing just comes across as arrogant.

Crap, I seriously didn't mean to come across that way... I just really care about things like this, so end up getting on my high horse. Probably unnecessarily. Sorry about that.

quote:
Furthermore, I think the "useless" javascript you're referring to, is simply ASP.NET. Note that I haven't taken a close look at the website, as whether it's bad or not is not really the point here.

I'm referring to the dropdown navigation, everything there could be done using CSS.

quote:
Originally posted by Thor
In the end, that's not what this topic is about, but my personal opinion is that WordPress is for blogging. If you're not going to be blogging and/or that's not what your site's focus is on: don't use WordPress. You can, but I wouldn't. There are more suitable and flexible alternatives with a better foundation.

WordPress used to be a blogging platform but it isn't anymore, there's no reason why people can't use it to power their website. Most of the people I know are either using WordPress or ExpressionEngine to power their website. Plus the odd one or two using PerchCMS (which I haven't tried out).

This post was edited on 02-08-2011 at 08:18 PM by traxor.
02-08-2011 08:12 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
Lets not be unnecessarily discarding about Talk2Luke's suggestions. He obviously has some good idea's. The fact that he chooses to detail his edits shouldn't be a problem to anyone. We are all adults here, so I would suggest we act that way.

This community is for a large part relatively old and accepting new members seems troublesome for a few veteran members, as I'm facing myself.

I suggest keeping your content on topic and for anyone who is involved with the frontpage or has experience to contribute the topic, please do so with an open mind..

Edit
I'm lacking background information apparently, I just thought the responses seemed harsh.

This post was edited on 02-08-2011 at 09:27 PM by Arcticwolfx.
02-08-2011 08:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
Talk2Luke, his community is for a large part relatively old and accepting new members seems troublesome for a few veteran members, as I'm facing myself.
He has been around for years...

This was his old profile: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/member.php?action=profile&uid=27089
02-08-2011 08:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
Well if that is really his old profile.. I'm not able to see that.

Clearly I don't know enough then about this particular case, it just seemed an extra-ordinary unkind response to his ideas.
02-08-2011 09:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

oh great, traxor.

wow, you've changed.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
02-08-2011 09:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
traxor

traxor_v2

O.P. RE: Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
Well if that is really his old profile.. I'm not able to see that.

Clearly I don't know enough then about this particular case, it just seemed an extra-ordinary unkind response to his ideas.

That was my old profile, I joined in November 2003 and, due to persona reasons, decided it was best to no longer associate myself with that particular account/name anymore. Slowly moving away from it altogether.

Figured I'd pop my foot in the door and have a moan here every now and then. This being one of those moments.

quote:
oh great, traxor.

wow, you've changed.

Yep :-).

This post was edited on 02-08-2011 at 09:15 PM by traxor.
02-08-2011 09:14 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
oh great, traxor.

wow, you've changed.

Yep :-).
His posts are starting to resemble that of CR...
02-08-2011 09:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
WordPress used to be a blogging platform but it isn't anymore, there's no reason why people can't use it to power their website. Most of the people I know are either using WordPress or ExpressionEngine to power their website. Plus the odd one or two using PerchCMS (which I haven't tried out).
As I have expressed to you, I agree that there's no reason people can't use it to power their website. However, I'll stick with people as in individuals or smaller groups, and not corporations and/or bigger teams of software developers with a project. It's cool for a lot of things, but resting the point that WordPress wouldn't fit much into the world of MP! website wise.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
02-08-2011 09:38 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: