What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
Author: Message:
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
people are not going to stop using Plus! because the site may look a bit less appealing than it used to be

I have to slightly disagree. Casual users of Plus! may see it and think "wow, that took a nose dive" putting them off using it again. Not very likely, but possible. Then you also have new users that will be put off by it (how many dodgy websites have we seen that looked similar in style/layout.

To be honest, the whole myPlus! thing sounds a bit fishy too. If I found that on any other WLM add-on related site, I'd steer clear of it.

"Just give us your e-mail and a password (most likely the same as you use for your e-mail) so we can keep a copy of your chat logs on our server"

We all know it's not the case, but we are all well experienced with plus and new/casual users will be put off
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
02-09-2011 07:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
traxor

traxor_v2

O.P. RE: Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
quote:
Compare the fist version of the website (that screenshot which was posted in public) and how it is now; It clearly is a big improvement I think. But such stuff takes time.  Imho, it's ridiculous to expect a complete change overnight (and no, it is not a matter of a few hours work to fix everything).

I'm having my final say in design here. This topic is about the build of the site and not the design. If their main area of focus is on building an application, then they should focus on that. If they do not have the time necessary to design and build a user-friendly, good website, then they should concentrate on the application and hire a company who know what they're doing. If the company was half decent, they would've read the brief, figured out what the user needs, looked at the existing site and figured out how they could build and improve on that experience. I'm one hundred percent certain that that didn't happen. That's why I'm being stubborn and sticking to my guns. If they did hire a company, I would not pay for that. I'd downright refuse.

I'm fighting a losing battle with you Cookie. You're clearly very biased towards Yuna has a company. Yes, the site works. Of course it works, but an electric scooter has wheels and can go down a road, but I'll stick with my VW.

quote:
Also, you can't expect them to drop everything they're working on and completely start changing the website according to your own personal whishes.

I don't expect them to drop everything. I want them to be aware that the job done on the site wasn't very good.

quote:
It is not no longer about the community, on the contrary. But what has that todo with all of this anyways?

People agree with me, nobody from Yuna has said anything about it. Messenger Plus! has always been a group effort. Not just the application, but the website, forum, plugins, skins etc. That's disappearing.

It's getting worse. This has gone from a thriving community to a few straggling members, a poor website and (from what I've heard) an application with very few improvements. It's really unfortunate. I'm glad Patchou sold when he did. Really glad for him.

Edit: If you report the thread it may be moved to the correct forum. Sorry about that.
Wow, I didn't see the additional page. Too much caffeine today. I also cannot believe I ignored the comment from Cookie essentially saying "design doesn't matter". To you it may not matter but it does to other people. People like me who remember the old site, type in msgplus.com to download an update and think... Woooooow, this is awful!

That will happen. I guarantee you. Design matters. Design is the difference between a 1% conversion rate and a 20% conversion rate.

Choices in design need to be strategic and planned. It's clear from a mile off that the site hasn't been strategised OR planned properly. It's been an afterthought.

Let's hope they learn from their mistakes.

This post was edited on 02-09-2011 at 09:41 PM by traxor.
02-09-2011 09:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Talk2Luke
You're clearly very biased towards Yuna has a company.
Then you clearly don't know me, nor have any idea what I think about Yuna. Also see the comment marked with * below.

quote:
People agree with me, nobody from Yuna has said anything about it.
_some_ people agree with you. The thing is that for average Joe it doesn't realy matter how the code looks like, it works now (well, it should be after the DNS changes) and that is the most important thing. And although you might have good points (I never said I disagree with them*) you seem to act as if the world will end tomorrow if nothing in the code is fixed instantly, which by your own words is just a matter of a few hours work or what not. Well, it does not work that way and it does take a lot of time to get where it needs to be.

Also, yes, they do listen to good arguments, and yes they have said something about it, maybe not to you personally, but they (read: Jieff) have.

quote:
Messenger Plus! has always been a group effort. Not just the application, but the website, forum, plugins, skins etc. That's disappearing.
No it is not disappearing, that's just your 'doomsday' thinking and negative attitude towards Yuna** speaking and/or the fact that you yourself don't use Plus! as much anymore (and listening to hear-say from other people who don't use Plus! anymore as frequently as they use to). Scripts and skins are also still developped, people can still report issues and suggestions for the website and forum, etc...

And if there is a general downfall it probably is because IM in general is getting less popular, compared to social networking... not because of Yuna (they are not that important to the IM world :p).

quote:
I'm glad Patchou sold when he did. Really glad for him.
What's that suppose to mean? I mean, by stating that you seem to blame it on Plus!, the software itself, for the downfall of this forum, etc..., even before it became the property of Yuna? If so, then you whole argument that Yuna is going in the wrong direction doesn't make much sense (since they didn't even existing back then) if I may say so.

Either way, if Patchou hadn't "sold", there wouldn't have been anything at all at this moment! In fact, it is exactly _because_ he "sold" that everything here still exists (in one way or the other), that skins and scripts are still being made, that we are still talking on this forum, etc... etc...

-

**and to strengthen my point on that:
quote:
....and (from what I've heard) an application with very few improvements.
I suggest you read up on some things before judging and applying that (maybe unconscience) 'doomsday' thinking to everything then.

Or maybe you shouldn't have left as you clearly are not as much in the loop anymore. I can't and don't blame you for that of course, but so shouldn't you judge stuff based upon hear-say or an already negative feelings from a few people who are infected with that 'doomsday' virus themselfs...

I have said it before, if nothing has been changed in like a few months and/or the userbase has indeed significantly dropped, then by all means shout all you want. I will even join you! But as for now, it simply sounds like pulling things seriously out of context.

As for those improvements: I'm not going to make this post any longer than it already is (too late :p), but it was/is very obvious that big improvements were not to be expected in the first release of Plus!5. So you can't use that as your argument to proof that everything is going downhill. In fact, When other major versions were released they also contained only one or two big new things. Again an example of how people use such current events as an example of how bad Yuna is doing, while in fact nothing has changed compared to similar previous events when Patchou was still in charge.

quote:
Edit: If you report the thread it may be moved to the correct forum. Sorry about that.
yup, no worries, will do, but after this side-discussion has been split out so that your thread can be kept on topic about the faults in the code/design of the site.

-------

EDIT:

quote:
Wow, I didn't see the additional page. Too much caffeine today.
hehehe, I know the feeling :p
quote:
I also cannot believe I ignored the comment from Cookie essentially saying "design doesn't matter". To you it may not matter but it does to other people. People like me who remember the old site, type in msgplus.com to download an update and think... Woooooow, this is awful!
I didn't essentially say "it doesn't matter", on the contrary though! If you think that, then I'm afraid you completely misunderstood me and/or pulled it seriously out of context. Sorry for not making myself clear then, but I said I think it doesn't matter to the average user _at this point_. And together with that I also clearly stated (I think) that it does indeed need big changes! But not right now. Because there are far more important things to do first. So, what I said can't be reduced to a one-liner and isn't as black and white as "design doesn't matter", it is way more nuanced than that.

May I remind you of my first and second post in this thread, where I stated that I too hope things will change?
(and with that I also corrected a few things like "nothing has been done or said so far" quote not to be taken literally, but is is essentially what has been said by you, no? if not, I misunderstood you.)

If you do want to reduce everything I've said to a one-liner I suppose I essentially said that I think you blow stuff a bit way out of proportion, without disagreeing with your code/design points.

This post was edited on 02-09-2011 at 11:23 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-09-2011 10:03 PM
traxor

traxor_v2

O.P. RE: Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
quote:
Then you clearly don't know me, nor have any idea what I think about Yuna. Also see the comment marked with * below.

Even you have to admit that your posts have been leaning towards Yuna quite a bit. However, that could be because you know more than we do about the whole ordeal. In which case, please spill the beans ;-).

quote:
_some_ people agree with you. The thing is that for average Joe it doesn't realy matter how the code looks like, it works now (well, it should be after the DNS changes) and that is the most important thing. And although you might have good points (I never said I disagree with them*) you seem to act as if the world will end tomorrow if nothing in the code is fixed instantly, which by your own words is just a matter of a few hours work or what not. Well, it does not work that way and it does take a lot of time to get where it needs to be.

Also, yes, they do listen to good arguments, and yes they have said something about it, maybe not to you personally, but they (read: Jieff) have.

People agreed with me about the design and people agree with me about the front-end development. It may not be flocks of people but the thing is that good front-end development will improve the look of a website anyway. I regularly re-code poorly-coded websites and it improves things like alignment, spacing etc and makes the design look better overall. I really think they should keep this in mind.

quote:
No it is not disappearing, that's just your 'doomsday' thinking and negative attitude towards Yuna** speaking and/or the fact that you yourself don't use Plus! as much anymore (and listening to hear-say from other people who don't use Plus! anymore as frequently as they use to). Scripts and skins are also still developped, people can still report issues and suggestions for the website and forum, etc...

I may be being pessimistic, but it's not doomsday... It's what I can see. You must agree that this place is no longer the thriving community that it was. It's become a place with the odd genuine post and a hell of a lot of trolls. I really want to see the analytics comparisons showing the forum and website two years ago, along with the number of downloads.

quote:
What's that suppose to mean? I mean, by stating that you seem to blame it on Plus!, the software itself, for the downfall of this forum, etc..., even before it became the property of Yuna? If so, then you whole argument that Yuna is going in the wrong direction doesn't make much sense (since they didn't even existing back then) if I may say so.

Either way, if Patchou hadn't "sold", there wouldn't have been anything at all at this moment! In fact, it is exactly _because_ he "sold" that everything here still exists (in one way or the other), that skins and scripts are still being made, that we are still talking on this forum, etc... etc...

As I said in my private message, he sold it at it's peak. Good on him. I hope his basking in cash.

quote:
I suggest you read up on some things before judging and applying that (maybe unconscience) 'doomsday' thinking to everything then.

I have to base everything on here-say, the only way I can use Windows is through VMWare fusion, and that's a waste of time for me.

quote:
hehehe, I know the feeling

Glad it's not just me then ;-).

quote:
I didn't essentially say "it doesn't matter", on the contrary though! If you think that, then I'm afraid you completely misunderstood me and/or pulled it seriously out of context. Sorry for not making myself clear then, but I said I think it doesn't matter to the average user _at this point_. And together with that I also clearly stated (I think) that it does indeed need big changes! But not right now. Because there are far more important things to do first. So, what I said can't be reduced to a one-liner and isn't as black and white as "design doesn't matter", it is way more nuanced than that.

That was a definite misunderstanding on my behalf then. For me, the average user is always the person I research and target through design. I obviously don't know enough about the average user. Glad you agree that they need changes. But as I said, if they're worried about other things, they should get a proper design company to create the site for them.

quote:
May I remind you of my first and second post in this thread, where I stated that I too hope things will change?
(and with that I also corrected a few things like "nothing has been done or said so far" quote not to be taken literally, but is is essentially what has been said by you, no? if not, I misunderstood you.)

I'm glad you hope things will change. I hope they do to.

I guess my general gist wasn't "nothing has been done"... It was more along the lines of "very little has been done", which I don't think is a false statement. I'd expect a certain amount of polish for a site before it's even made live. That's the difference between a novice company and an experienced company.

quote:
If you do want to reduce everything I've said to a one-liner I suppose I essentially said that I think you blow stuff a bit way out of proportion, without disagreeing with your code/design points.

I suppose my passion can sometimes be misinterpreted as arrogance and things being blown out of proportion.
02-10-2011 12:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Even you have to admit that your posts have been leaning towards Yuna quite a bit. However, that could be because you know more than we do about the whole ordeal. In which case, please spill the beans .
As a beta tester I (we) indeed do know more than others. Not everything though, but sometimes just enough to see and know the what the real deal behind certain things is. Plus, having some connections might help too. And with that I mean just being friendly towards certain people and showing that they can trust you and you'll be surprised what they want to share with you (in good trust). But yeah, that's indeed stuff I (we) can't share with others for obvious reaons, other than trying to explain things without revealing stuff.

And here lies already a difference in perception. It is not because something is explained, that the person explaining the things (dis)agrees with it!!

Also trying to use a lot of common sense and trying to see things in perspective, instead of basing things on hear-say (for the lack of a better word), will influence how I think or what I post. (and note I said "trying", I don't always succeed in that either). I try to be objective or at least first trying to look at things from the other pov.

Unfortunatly, and I already hinted at that, it seems that these days people all too often confuse such explainations (which are mostly based upon facts and common sense) or attempts to be objective, with my own personal opinions about stuff. Also, some people (conveniently or not) seem to quickly forget how things were and happened in the past when it comes down to stuff Yuna does now.

As soon as you explain something which the OP might got wrong or try to explain how it in reality is, it is immediatly seen as disagreeing with everything and being pro-Yuna (for this matter, but that goes for many other subjects too).

This said, you can ask any beta tester for example what kind of a post I've made when I discovered a severe bug. Which wasn't even a real bug bug, but something "they" (quotes as I do not know who made that decision) explicitly designed it to work like that, but the result of that, for me, was catastrophic. And believe me, I'm still not completely over it.

So, am I pro-Yuna? I like to believe I'm not. But I'm also not contra-Yuna!
The thing is that, with a few exceptions, they have not done anything so severely wrong that I have a personal reason to bad-mouth them or to completely turn my back to them.
Some stuff they did wrong can be explained in a logical way with some common sense; they need to learn too. Granted, you sometimes need to see the whole picture for that, but even without that one could give them the benefit of doubt instead of just quickly dismissing it as them being 'idiots', putting some more fuel on the we-all-hate-yuna vibe and what not. But like I said before, doing that is unfortunatly way too often seen as kissing Yuna's ass in this community (or at least by some people) imho.

-----

As for the subject about the future of this forum: the word 'doomsday' may not have been the correct word, 'being (imho, a bit too) pessimistic' might indeed have been better. But other than that, see our conversation we had in private... (I'm not going to repeat it since this post is again already too long, lol. But you know from those PMs that I partially agree with you. ;))

quote:
I guess my general gist wasn't "nothing has been done"... It was more along the lines of "very little has been done", which I don't think is a false statement. I'd expect a certain amount of polish for a site before it's even made live. That's the difference between a novice company and an experienced company.
Well it is a novice company which doesn't exist yet for so long. Everything is new for them too, and the developpers had to learn everything from scratch too (that is: how Plus! works, and even what Plus! stands for and the importance of this community etc... heck, they are still learning (I hope :p)).

(^^ again a small correction without agreeing or disagreeing with the rest of what you've said here - but if you must know: yes I agree with expecting a certain amount of polish for something like a Plus!-website. But I guess the difference is that the amount of polish, for me personally, is just enough (but also not an inch too much) if I compare it to how it was initially, what has been done, what can be done, and what is planned to be done and also taking in account the steep learning curve they go thru).^

quote:
I suppose my passion can sometimes be misinterpreted as arrogance and things being blown out of proportion.
something else we have in common...
02-10-2011 09:48 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I would like to think that concerns about the actual website died with the acquisition of Messenger Plus by the new Yuna people.

It went from something that was almost a one man operation (hyperbole).

Of course a lot of us that are having issues with certain things are partially because we have a certain idea of what it should be looking like and what it shouldn't be like, most of us being part of the community for as long as we have, think we'd have tenure or at least some more experience in the (y)'s and (n)'s of the MP!L world.

The problem is Yuna is giving the impression (or lack there of) that we don't. Some people here have been here for 10 years (get a life, :cheesy: (l), joking), and have disagreements with what is being done.

However the workers at Yuna, I doubt they are doing anything on purpose. They're thinking like a big company, little transparency and lack of communication where communication is needed.

We have Liasons and big fancy words for "connections to the big dog".

My only issue would be with Patchou and the terms of his agreement. Now I want to be clear that I know nothing about the business aspect of transferal of ownership or a company, but I'd like to think Patchou had some conditions of his own for the offer such as:

• Patchou himself have some control over the designing process (I'd like to think he didn't :sad:, in the odd chance he did).
  • Beta Testers regarded as people who do have tenure (as Patchou has stated in the past, he did mention to Yuna in the beginning that we did know what we were talking about and would respond in the best interests of the product).
  • Consulting the current design and building a new design consulting either Patchou, the forum community, or even beta testers. By the time the design was presented to the testers, we had our own issues with the initial design, which in turn gave us this "v2" which we're all still having some issues (big or small) with.

Along with probably some other things, not to mention the extra 5% for his best friend Sam :sad:.

The days where you could just Message Patchou directly with issues is gone, where you can consult the designers directly, gone, where you can communicate directly with the people who matter (I mean no disrespect at ALL to Sunshine, without you I'd be even more aggravated :happy:).

It's going to take some time for the guys at Yuna to understand how things work, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll eventually realize what's going on.

I have no doubts the design will eventually change, some internal issues will be addressed and Yuna will give us some more lovin' :wink:.

Design aside, for those concerning themselves with the crappy code of the site itself, I agree completely, however beyond voicing our opinion, I really don't think any of us should care anymore, especially since we're even less important than we were pre-Yuna. 

It's a hassle making a design everyone likes, but even if it's a crappy design I'd like to think the code that makes it all is atleast nicely done (keeping in mind there is a difference between preference and actual nice code).

I think we're at a point where Yuna will either realize what's going on, or go full big-corporation, embrace the Microsoft, Apple, or any other big boy support system, with a near-complete barrier between consumer and meaningful support.

:bow: I for one, welcome our Yuna overlords. :bow:
Having said that I personally feel like another ant in the world of magnifying-glass-holding Yuna giants, just waiting to be exterminated from the loop :zippy:.

edit:
[17:49] <SonicSam> fuck my forum post I just made makes no sense

This post was edited on 02-10-2011 at 10:51 PM by prashker.
02-10-2011 10:43 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
A quick question (asked in general, but in response to Sam's post):
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
tl;dr: It's going to take some time for the guys at Yuna to understand how things work, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll eventually realize what's going on.
But shouldn't we also take some time to understand how things work?

I mean, it _is_ a company now, and stuff has changed because of that, there is nothing you or anyone else can do about that, it is how things and companies in the real world work.

We need to get used to that too I think, after all those years living in _our_ ideal bubble where you could directly contact the people and knew everybody in person (so to speak).

Idealy (for the both of us) meeting somewhere in the middle I'd hope...

--
quote:
[17:49] <SonicSam> fuck my forum post I just made makes no sense
Makes quite a lot of sense to me though

This post was edited on 02-10-2011 at 11:02 PM by CookieRevised.
02-10-2011 10:56 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
But shouldn't we also take some time to understand how things work?

Website aside, the product itself hasn't changed much, a little MyPlus! over here, a little design tinker over there, and didn't really need to change.

Obviously this MyPlus! idea is Yuna's and (I guess I was wrong, but regardless, not relevant to my arguement (a)). MyPlus for example, while I personally won't be using it, I can see how it may be useful for the average Messenger Plus user.

I think for us to take time to understand how things work with them is fine, as long as there's a centralized place to vent (in this case, this thread). I obviously don't believe my opinion or ideas should be the only ideas, but I'd like to think that I could at least be considered influential to possible crucial changes (such as design).

I just don't want the Yuna release to _begin_ with complete block from the community. Get our inputs on designs, etc, and maybe then they can retract their heads back into the big-corp mindset, occasionally peeping out for bug reports.

I don't think we're all worried about Yuna in the long run, just that they start with a pretty nice bang :cheesy:, we're getting there :p.

This post was edited on 02-11-2011 at 12:09 AM by prashker.
02-10-2011 11:14 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
PS:
quote:
Obviously this MyPlus! idea is Yuna's
Don't be so sure of that though ;)

This post was edited on 02-11-2011 at 12:06 AM by CookieRevised.
02-11-2011 12:04 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: