What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Suggestion: "Launch Messenger without Plus!" option for Uninstaller

Suggestion: "Launch Messenger without Plus!" option for Uninstaller
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Suggestion: "Launch Messenger without Plus!" option for Uninstaller
While I am reading some posts about Messenger Plus! causes problems with Messenger I noticed that most of the people say that they uninstalled Messenger Plus! to check if the problem is due to Plus!. Probably most people are still unaware of /PlusEnabled=0 key which can be used in commandline to launch Messenger without Messenger Plus! so they lose time by uninstalling then reinstalling Messenger Plus! to test their Messengers. Therefore an option in the Uninstaller wizard of Messenger Plus! for launching Messenger without Messenger Plus! that people who came to uninstall Plus! just for a test can see easily would be great.
02-24-2011 12:51 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Suggestion: "Launch Messenger without Plus!" option for Uninstaller
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Probably most people are still unaware of /PlusEnabled=0
Heh, I wasn't even aware of that :p. Must have read about it at some point, but I usually end up moving/renaming the Plus! dll file in the Messenger folder.

This post was edited on 02-24-2011 at 03:54 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-24-2011 03:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
While I am reading some posts about Messenger Plus! causes problems with Messenger I noticed that most of the people say that they uninstalled Messenger Plus! to check if the problem is due to Plus!. Probably most people are still unaware of /PlusEnabled=0 key which can be used in commandline to launch Messenger without Messenger Plus! so they lose time by uninstalling then reinstalling Messenger Plus! to test their Messengers. Therefore an option in the Uninstaller wizard of Messenger Plus! for launching Messenger without Messenger Plus! that people who came to uninstall Plus! just for a test can see easily would be great.
Althought that parameter exists since a long time, it is not as easy to use it as just quickly uninstalling Plus! though. That is: for the average user to:
  1. Open a DOS command prompt
  2. Navigating to the Windows Live Messenger folder using DOS commands
  3. Executing the msnmsgr.exe file with that parameter (and without making typos on the commands line!)
...is troublesome, and thus it is much easier for them to just uninstall using some mouse clicks.

Moreover, AFAIK, there is still a difference between using that parameter and realy uninstalling Plus!. When you use that parameter, Plus! must still be loaded since otherwise it can't detect that parameter of course.

An option in the uninstaller as an alternative would be nice though (y).

This post was edited on 02-24-2011 at 05:08 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-24-2011 05:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
quote:
Probably most people are still unaware of /PlusEnabled=0 key

I didn't know that either! Then again, for the referring situations you provided, it's as cookie said, not a definite answer in situations where Messenger Plus!' stability is questionable.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Althought that parameter exists since a long time, it is not as easy to use it as just quickly uninstalling Plus! though.

What about simple adding the parameter at the end of "Target Location" field on the Properties screen after right clicking Windows Live Messenger in the start menu? :p

That said; I'm sure the Messenger Plus! functionality can be turned on or off in the registry as well? In which case you could just create two .reg files for turning it on and off.
02-24-2011 06:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
What about simple adding the parameter at the end of "Target Location" field on the Properties screen after right clicking Windows Live Messenger in the start menu?
Sure, but that requires changing 'saved settings'. I wouldn't recommend doing that and/or recommend telling that to people.

Not that it will cause bugs or whatever, but simply because people tend to forget things and thus some will most likely forget to change it back. And in reference to giving support: it would require more explaination and what not too. And the chance is much higher that the user makes typos and thus the whole thing not working anyways, or even worse: messenger not starting anymore (and then you get more posts from that user asking what to do next, etc, etc...)

They easiest thing to suggest as support, and also the easiest thing for the user to do, with the least chance of making typos and other errors, is still uninstalling imho.

quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
That said; I'm sure the Messenger Plus! functionality can be turned on or off in the registry as well?
nope

This post was edited on 02-24-2011 at 07:01 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-24-2011 06:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Suggestion: "Launch Messenger without Plus!" option for Uninstaller
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Moreover, AFAIK, there is still a difference between using that parameter and realy uninstalling Plus!. When you use that parameter, Plus! must still be loaded since otherwise it can't detect that parameter of course.
Well, you may be right but as MenthiX pointed
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
but I usually end up moving/renaming the Plus! dll file in the Messenger folder.
uninstaller of Messenger Plus! is a seperate program which I don't think interferes with WLM when it is run and that program can do the renaming of that dll then launch WLM then rename the dll back to its original name. Apart from if it can be done for Messenger Plus!, such an option would be good if it is added as a standard to all programs which are add-ons to some main programs.
02-27-2011 07:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: