What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » MSGPLUS toolbar locks Firefox (V3 and V4)

MSGPLUS toolbar locks Firefox (V3 and V4)
Author: Message:
tsiebold

O.P. MSGPLUS toolbar locks Firefox (V3 and V4)
When I installed the new msgplus v5 I did install the tool bar.
When I then tried to use Firefox (V3.6.13 and V4 Beta 10) the both came up but were locked. They were not useable. A separate window appeared where I could select stuff for the tool bar. But clicking on finish there didnt help.

I had to process kill the firefox (bot versions!).

Then I de-installed the tool bar and the conduit. And rebooted. But the symptoms stayed there. Like above.

Then I de-installed MSGplus AND both versions of Firefox. And rebooted.

Then I installed MSGplus and deselected the usage of the tool bar.
(I did delete the folders for msg plus, and both Firefox version under ProgramFiles(x86) before !!).

Then I installed Firefox V4 Beta again.
When I run it the tool bar is still there, although I didnt install it!
And Firefox still locks up!!

Please, HOW can I get rid of the tool bar so I can use Firefox again????????

Btw, Internet explorer V9 RC1 works fine.
And, btw, I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
The MSGplus installation was using the German language version!

Thanks in advance!

Thomas  (frustrated :-) )
02-28-2011 12:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
tsiebold

O.P. RE: MSGPLUS toolbar locks Firefox (V3 and V4)
A work around for this is:
When Firefox starts up, you need to be very quick and select add-ons and then de-activate the conduit and the MSGplus add-in.
Because when the window appears where one can select stuff for the tool bar, Firefox is locked and no input is possible!

But I think there needs to be an official way of how to fix this! Especially that it seem to be not de-installed!!
02-28-2011 12:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
RE: MSGPLUS toolbar locks Firefox (V3 and V4)
quote:
Originally posted by tsiebold
A work around for this is:
When Firefox starts up, you need to be very quick and select add-ons and then de-activate the conduit and the MSGplus add-in.

Hi tsiebold, I'm glad you found a solution for your problem and thank you for sharing it.

However, you re-installed Firefox and the add-on was still activated? You probably didn't delete all "user settings" upon un-install.

Another option which may help is to start Firefox in "safe mode" and disabling the add-on, then restarting Firefox.

To start Firefox in Safe Mode, simply go to your Start menu and find the Mozilla Firefox directory, inside you should find "Mozilla Firefox" and "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)"

If you are unable to un-install an extension, even after restarting Firefox in Safe Mode:

Go to your profile folder and open the "extensions" directory. Each directory there is an extension. Remove the directory that corresponds to the extension you want to un-install.

If an add-on directory there does not have a meaningful name, look inside it for its "install.rdf" file. Open that file in a text editor (like Notepad) to see which extension the directory contains. Alternatively, in the parent folder, "extensions.rdf" contains a list of extensions, their names and corresponding GUIDs.

This post was edited on 02-28-2011 at 01:13 PM by Arcticwolfx.
02-28-2011 01:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: MSGPLUS toolbar locks Firefox (V3 and V4)
quote:
Originally posted by tsiebold
Especially that it seem to be not de-installed!!
I agree, the Conduit/Plus! Toolbar uninstaller should uninstall the changes it makes to Firefox too. Currently it only removes the toolbar from IE. If Firefox doesn't respond uninstalling the toolbar through FF in safe mode like Artic said is an option, but it would be nice if Conduit would just remove everything it adds.

I don't have any problem with the toolbar in Firefox (3.6.13) BTW. But the toolbars are localized, it is possible there is something different in the German toolbar causing issues on Firefox.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-28-2011 01:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: