What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Name wrapping in HTML log files

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Name wrapping in HTML log files
Author: Message:
KiwiDude

– / – / Flag
O.P. Name wrapping in HTML log files
Hi, I've noticed that in the HTML log files that Messenger Plus records, the name is always wrapped after 9 characters.

For example, if I'm chatting with someone named "Mickey Mouse", the log file will look like this:

(07:18 pm) Mickey Mo   Hello there
use

Looking at the HTML code, I can see that there's a <br> tag in the middle of the name.

Could we please have the option for disabling the word wrap in the log files please? If it's optional then only those of us who want it can enable it.

(I don't know how else to make this suggestion to the developers, so I hope they are reading these messages!)

Thanks,
Jeremy
02-28-2011 09:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
RE: Name wrapping in HTML log files
Hi there KiwiDude.

This option is already available in your Messenger Plus! "Preferences & Options!" :)

[Image: plus520chatlogs.jpg]

Un-check (or change the value) of "Truncate contact names longer than (Characters)"

Suggestions are always welcome and should be read by developers as well. Since this feature already exists, your post is in the right forum, however the "MsgPlus! General Talk" forum seems to be designated for suggestions. :)

This post was edited on 02-28-2011 at 10:41 PM by Arcticwolfx.
02-28-2011 10:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Truncating wouldn't cause word wrapping though would it? Sounds a bit more than just that option tbh
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-01-2011 05:05 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
It seems to be the opposite, by design the nickname is wrapped when truncation is disabled. Just activate nickname truncation and set the length to whatever you like :)
[Image: rdmazu.php]
03-01-2011 07:47 PM
KiwiDude

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Name wrapping in HTML log files
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
It seems to be the opposite, by design the nickname is wrapped when truncation is disabled. Just activate nickname truncation and set the length to whatever you like :)

Apatik got it right: when truncation is disabled, the name gets wrapped. I wonder if this is a bug? It's certainly annoying in any case, and I hope the developers might notice this and either remove the wrapping completely, or at least give us the option to remove it.

For now, I've worked around this by enabling the trunation and setting the truncation limit to 100 characters. :)
03-09-2011 02:43 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
I think it really depends how you see it, wrapping the nickname when the user did not choose to truncate it allows for displaying the whole nickname without impairing the logs layout/readability too much. If you really want to have 100 chars wide nicknames on the left of your logs, then you can do just what you did, enable truncation at 100 chars :)
03-09-2011 03:43 PM
KiwiDude

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Name wrapping in HTML log files
quote:
I think it really depends how you see it, wrapping the nickname when the user did not choose to truncate it allows for displaying the whole nickname without impairing the logs layout/readability too much. If you really want to have 100 chars wide nicknames on the left of your logs, then you can do just what you did, enable truncation at 100 chars :)

Perhaps, but we have no control over where the wrapping takes place - ie. after how many characters. And we shouldn't have to enable an unrelated feature (truncation) in order to skip the wrapping. I favour allowing the user to control such settings, not having them hard-wired in. And I rather suspect that's the purpose of Messenger Plus as well - to give extra control to the user over how Messenger works.
03-09-2011 03:55 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
I was not saying your point does not stand though, maybe we could have a different layout like two radio buttons for either "truncate nicknames" or "wrap nicknames"... That doesn't sound bad actually :)

And if you need to know, for some reason the truncation limit does impact the wrapping as well. IIRC the wrapping is done at something like ( length of the timestamp + truncation limit ) / 2, or something. Don't ask me why it's like that, I have no idea :zippy:

Edit: or maybe it's (length of the timestamp / 2) + truncation limit ... :^)

This post was edited on 03-09-2011 at 04:39 PM by Apatik.
03-09-2011 04:37 PM
KiwiDude

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Name wrapping in HTML log files
Yes, having two radio buttons like that would be a perfect solution! That gets my vote. :)
03-09-2011 05:08 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KiwiDude
quote:
I was not saying your point does not stand though, maybe we could have a different layout like two radio buttons for either "truncate nicknames" or "wrap nicknames"... That doesn't sound bad actually :)
Yes, having two radio buttons like that would be a perfect solution! That gets my vote. :)
It would only solve something when you also can select after how many characters the wrapping should occur. Otherwise there is no functional difference at all between how it is now (the checkbox). The only difference would be that you would have two lines instead of 1 to do the same thing.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-10-2011 12:40 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: