What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » WLM 2009 Smileys in WLM 2011

WLM 2009 Smileys in WLM 2011
Author: Message:
NimrodYanai

O.P. WLM 2009 Smileys in WLM 2011
Hi all!
I'm not sure this is the right place to put this, so I'm sorry if it's not.

Seeing as most of the WLM 2011 smileys are crap, I've been looking for a way to change the smileys back to their original 2009 version, which if I'm not mistaken are the same smileys as in these forums.

Is there a pack to do this or do I need to start changing them one by one, if that's even possible?

Thanx for your help!

Nimrod
03-05-2011 05:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
RE: WLM 2009 Smileys in WLM 2011
Hi NimrodYanai,

I share your opinion about the Windows Live Messenger 2011 smiley's! There are a few options available to us to solve this discomfort.

1- It's actually possible to "skin" your Messenger which replaces all of the default smiley's in Windows Live Messenger 2011 to their corresponding smiley's in Windows Live Messenger 2009, however this would only be visible to you, not other people using Windows Live Messenger 2011. (Even if you use Windows Live Messenger 2009, people using Windows Live Messenger 2011 would see the new smiley's.)

2- You can indeed add every smiley one by one from this forum as Custom Emoticon, however they can not replace the default smiley's.. they will each require an alternative key input.

2a- You may look for an emoticon pack on various websites, unfortunately http://www.msgplus.net/Downloads/Emoticons doesn't seem to feature any Emoticons at all..

Hope this helped, good luck on your search. :)

This post was edited on 03-06-2011 at 03:39 AM by Arcticwolfx.
03-06-2011 02:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
devxon

Replace them one by one.. :)

This post was edited on 03-06-2011 at 03:36 AM by devxon.
03-06-2011 03:36 AM
NimrodYanai

O.P. RE: WLM 2009 Smileys in WLM 2011
Wow. Thanx for the answers you guys :p
If I find an emoticon pack, does it replace the WLM 2011 ones?
Also, is there a way to replace the original WLM 2011 smilyes' files with ones featuring the old ones? In other words, is there any way to make the regular smily keys show the old smileys on my and others' computers?
03-06-2011 09:14 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodYanai
If I find an emoticon pack, does it replace the WLM 2011 ones?
No, emoticon packs only _add_ emoticons, they never _replace_ emoticons.

quote:
In other words, is there any way to make the regular smily keys show the old smileys on my and others'
No.

Messenger looks in the user's resources to show the emoticons. You can not change the resources from Messenger from your contacts, only your own. And that is a good thing.

Remember that you may find the new emoticons 'crap' but your contacts may not! Imagine that one of your contacts decides that the default emoticons should all be replaced with black boxes. I think you wont like to see that on your own Messenger either.

This post was edited on 03-06-2011 at 09:57 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-06-2011 10:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NimrodYanai

O.P. RE: RE: WLM 2009 Smileys in WLM 2011
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Remember that you may find the new emoticons 'crap' but your contacts may not! Imagine that one of your contacts decides that the default emoticons should all be replaced with black boxes. I think you wont like to see that on your own Messenger either.

True, though most of my contacts failed to update their messenger to 2011 for that reason exactly ;).

Anyway, to anyone thinking about what I've been thinking, I've found this article: http://msnmessengertips.com/replace-shortcuts-def...sn-messenger-2011/

The plan is simple - Create custom emoticons of all the old ones, then replace all the keys of the old emoticons so that whenever I use them, the custom ones will appear instead...

So far as I know, user see custom emoticons as I send them, right? So this should solve my problem... And using an old emoticon pack might even shorten the time this process might take...
03-06-2011 05:26 PM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
You can't use the default shortcuts as shortcuts to custom emoticons =/

edit: but yep, you can set quicktexts with the same shortcuts, and have the quicktexts change to another shortcut :P

This post was edited on 03-06-2011 at 11:31 PM by blessedguy.
[Image: Empty.png]
03-06-2011 06:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Anyway, to anyone thinking about what I've been thinking, I've found this article: http://msnmessengertips.com/replace-shortcuts-def...sn-messenger-2011/

The plan is simple - Create custom emoticons of all the old ones, then replace all the keys of the old emoticons so that whenever I use them, the custom ones will appear instead...
If I understand you correctly, that's not what that article describes.

That article describes using Messenger Plus!' Quick Texts to replace a default shortcut with a custom shortcut in the text you type in a conversation. Thus the other way around, and nothing is changed in the resources of Messenger.

eg: you type "hello :)" and it is replaced with "hello :smile:", while you have a custom emoticon set with the shortcut :smile:.
Thus instead of sending "hello :)", Messenger actually sends "hello :smile:".

But yes, using such a method will indeed work, but you'll still sending custom emoticons in the end though.

This post was edited on 03-06-2011 at 11:34 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-06-2011 10:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
quote:

So far as I know, user see custom emoticons as I send them, right? So this should solve my problem... And using an old emoticon pack might even shorten the time this process might take...

It would indeed solve your problem and is the best solution out there right now! Good find and thanks for sharing.
03-06-2011 11:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: