What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Online submission system FAQ (uploading skins,scripts,etc)

Online submission system FAQ (uploading skins,scripts,etc)
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Online submission system FAQ (uploading skins,scripts,etc)
With the release of the new Plus! site we also changed the method of submitting skins and scripts. Finally no more emailing and forgetting to add attachments :p. Items can now be submitted directly from the site. The online submission system is brand new, and like with all new software it is not free of bugs. Keep in mind this system is still a work in progress. With your feedback we can fix bugs and annoyances. With this thread I aim to answer the most asked questions (how surprising for a FAQ :o)).

How do I submit my skin or script?

From now on to submit your items you need an account on msgplus.net.
  • If you already have an account on these forums (MsgHelp) your account has probably already migrated to the new site. On the logon page login using the  email address and password you use on MsgHelp. If that doesn't work, use the member list to see if you can find your MsgHelp username on the new site. The new site is based on a old user database from MsgHelp, if you haven't been on MsgHelp for that long you may need to create a new account. If your MsgHelp username does appear on the new site but you can't login, contact me (menthix@yunasoftware.com or PM) and we'll get is sorted out.
  • If your MsgHelp account doesn't appear on the new site (or you don't have a MsgHelp account) you can register on the logon page.
Once you are logged in, under 'My Account', go to My Contributions from where you can add a new contribution. Once you hit 'Save' your contribution is send to the moderation queue. Once accepted it will show up in the download database. If your contrubution gets denied you will be informed via a private message on the new site.

Tip: The description field supports BBCode tags. You can use this to add formatting. The BBCode is (largely) the same as you're used to from the forum. If you don't know BBCode by heart you can also use the formatting toolbar above the description field.
Tip: In your personal settings make sure to fill in your email address in 'Messaging notification e-mail'. This way you will get an email notification about private messages.

How long does it take for items to be approved?

Usually it takes about 24 hours to be approved (or declined :p). We aim at a maximum of 48 hours. In some cases, usually weekends, it can take a bit longer. If you still don't have a response in 72 hours email or PM me. Before you contact me, make sure to check if the status on your contributions page changed or if you have received any private message.

What about my existing items?

You can claim your old skins and scripts. Unclaimed skins and script list 'Unknown User' as author. If you created them, just send me a message with your profile page URL and the URL to the items you created. Alternatively, if you created a whole bunch of items and you always used the same author name, just tell me what to search for. Email menthix@yunasoftware.com or PM me.

The upload system doesn't work!

If you run into problems try to make notes of what you did exactly to encounter the error, what does the error say or look like, and what browser you are using. If possible, try things again. Clear your cache or try another browser. If the problem keeps preventing you from submitting your item properly you can use the old fashioned method to mail it to me. In your mail include:
  • Your profile URL
  • A description of the problem you are encountering (more detail = better)
  • Which browser you are using
  • The .plsc or .plsk file
  • Screenshot, thumbnail, description, etc.
Send your email to menthix@yunasoftware.com. Only email submissions when the online submission system fails. Mails without a valid problem descriptions will not be added.

Any guidelines or rules I need to follow to get my items accepted?

The old guidelines for skins and scripts are still available. I'll write some new guidelines once the issues around the submission system settle down, but using common sense will get you far. If you have any doubt, feel free to contact me.

What about the contest?

See the contest announcement for all information on the skinning contest.

Bugs, feedback and questions - Contact info

If you run into a bug preventing you from submitting your item, email me (see above). For all other things: questions can be posted in this thread, or if you feel like it email menthix@yunasoftware.com or PM me. Bugs and suggestions are best posted publicly so it is easier to point the right people to it. When reporting bugs, keep in mind more details is always better. Thew web developers need to be able to reproduce your bug if they want to fix it efficiently. Not every system works the same either, include which browser you are using and what you did to get to the issue.

Known issues

Existing screenshot being replaced by XML data
When you update one of your items the existing screenshot will automatically be replaced by the information from the info XML file of your skin/script. This can be annoying. For now I'd recommend copying your existing screenshot somewher so you can add it back after uploading your file. If you run into this without having copied your screenshot, don't panic, just don't hit 'Save'. Go back to 'My Contributions' from there you can edit your items and still copy the old screenshot.
Logged: 3557 Submission system - Don't replace the description/screenshot with data from XML when the field is already populated

No notification about new private messages
By default you won't get a notification about a private message on the new site. To enable notifications, go to your profile settings and enter you email address as 'Messaging notification e-mail'. This way you will get an email when you received a private message. If you don't enable this the only way to check for new messages is manually visiting your inbox.
Reported: Reported to Kimahri devs privately

This post was edited on 01-22-2013 at 05:55 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-26-2011 04:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
QUEYTOU24

40 / Male / Flag
RE: Online submission system FAQ (uploading skins,scripts,etc)
Oui ceci est tres bien mais est-ce que par l'upoload les codages seront verifié correctement car pour ma part pour le moment un skinneur utilise mes codes et il a été publié dans les téléchargements en esperant que ceci soit rectifier d'ailleurs.

Ensuite cette faq pourrait etre une excellente initiative.

merci pour ce superbe travail
03-26-2011 05:20 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Online submission system FAQ (uploading skins,scripts,etc)
English only please. But what I could gather from Google Translate this is about Skins codes. I have received your message, I will investigate and message you on what will happen later today, maybe tomorrow. Once we launched the skinning contest.

This post was edited on 03-26-2011 at 06:15 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-26-2011 06:14 PM
QUEYTOU24

40 / Male / Flag
Excuse me for not translated, but in short I reminded my that I both business
finally an answer, and I told you that the FAQ would be a great idea and that
it was a beautiful work you do

thank you very much

03-26-2011 06:19 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
* If your MsgHelp account doesn't appear on the new site (or you don't have a MsgHelp account) you can register on the logon page.
I advise to use the same password as you used on the MsgHelp forums to avoid conflicts and/or "password not correct" errors later on when the old forums will migrate to the new ones.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-26-2011 08:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: