What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Uninstalling Sponsor bar for FF

Uninstalling Sponsor bar for FF
Author: Message:
Opheliac

O.P. Uninstalling Sponsor bar for FF
I had to do a manual restart of my computer this morning, and prior to that, the MsgPlus bar was NOT present in my Firefox (nor IE). Now after doing the restart, the bar is now present in FF and I'm unable to get rid of it.

Having used MsgPlus for around 7-8 years, I've never elected to install the sponsor software. Ever. Full stop.

Now, I've followed the instructions to remove the sponsor, (the Add/Remove Programs way) and the Uninstall Sponsor is greyed out. I've installed the latest update again (v5) WITH the sponsor option selected in order to do a clean install and removal but it still won't let me remove it.

Is there any other way to remove it. I don't know how this has been potentially damaged, since I've not authorized any programs like adware to any actions regarding removing/editing.

Cheers.
03-27-2011 08:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Uninstalling Sponsor bar for FF
Hey,

For some reason the Sponsor Bar will not remove from FireFox if you use the installer.

You'll have to use the Manage Ad-Ons feature for FireFox. In FireFox, click 'Tools' then ad-ons. Find it on the list and either disable it or un-install.
03-27-2011 09:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
For some reason the Sponsor Bar will not remove from FireFox if you use the installer.
Because Firefox and IE don't behave the same way. You need to remove Firefox's extension using Firefox's add-on manager and you need to remove IE's toolbar by using Windows' Control Panel.
[Image: Empty.png]
03-27-2011 09:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Opheliac

O.P. RE: Uninstalling Sponsor bar for FF
quote:
Use the Manage Ad-Ons feature for FireFox. In FireFox, click 'Tools' then ad-ons. Find it on the list and either disable it or un-install.

It doesn't appear on my list of addons... Any ideas?
03-28-2011 06:51 AM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Opheliac
quote:
Use the Manage Ad-Ons feature for FireFox. In FireFox, click 'Tools' then ad-ons. Find it on the list and either disable it or un-install.

It doesn't appear on my list of addons... Any ideas?

What version of Firefox are you using? Did you check in both "Extensions" and "Plugins" ?
03-28-2011 01:01 PM
Opheliac

O.P. RE: Uninstalling Sponsor bar for FF
I managed to get rid of it now :)

Thank you everybody!

@Arcticwolfx, I did find it under Extensions. So thank you... I didn't think it would be under that, because logically I think it's an addon...
03-29-2011 11:44 AM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Opheliac

@Arcticwolfx, I did find it under Extensions. So thank you... I didn't think it would be under that, because logically I think it's an addon...

Well I don't even remember how it looked exactly in Firefox 3.6, but in Firefox 4, the "Addon" term is used for the menu in it's entirety, where "Plugins" and "Extensions" are both categories of addons.

Plugins seem to be related to technical enhancement like the ability to use java and flash on websites.
Extensions being what I would call "addons" like graphical enhancements and other tools.

So in Firefox 4, it would seem that a toolbar belongs in the Extensions menu.

This post was edited on 03-29-2011 at 12:07 PM by Arcticwolfx.
03-29-2011 12:04 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: