What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Online logging : Not enough space .. quota

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
Author: Message:
cocoaway

O.P. Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
Hi, i was starting to upload my old log file online to put everything there and delete the one on my PC with MyPlus.

After few upload, i received a message : "Not enough space on your quota to upload file(s)".

Heun? Is there really a quota with this feature? If yes, i would be mad that nobody told it when you use the online logging. Will have to recover what i deleted after uploading.

And if it's really because I've reached the quota, ouch the quota would be ridiculously low. I've logs from 2006 to now or so. I was just starting to upload my logs, I've done only like 0,5 % of my log.

I hope the message i got was a bug and there's no quota on online logs. Or that the quota is a "by day" quota and that i'll be able to continue tomorrow. (Even if it would then be annoying to upload my data from 2006 with such a "by day" quota, would take me months to upload everything)

Someone can give me info? Thanks
04-03-2011 03:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
cocoaway

O.P. RE: Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
Hi, i want to add this after few try :

If i close the Log Viewer and then reopen it, then i can continue to upload logs for 2-3 contacts, and then the msg appear again.

So it's look like it's a quota in log viewer for 1 session of the tool... really strange. Well at least each time i get the message now i clause the Log viewer and reopen it and it seem to work, it's just boring to reopen the viewer each 2-3 contacts :P

But still someone can give info on this?
Thanks
04-03-2011 04:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
It makes perfect sense to have a storage quota. It is also very understandable that it isn't 1GB or whatever. This isn't Microsoft or Google which have the resources and money to have massive data centers all around the world.

Nevertheless, imho, it indeed does make little sense to have an upload quota per 'Log Viewer session', in case it is not a bug. I could understand an upload quota per day (like many services have), but not per opening/closing Log Viewer though.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-03-2011 09:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Alexandre.Lefebvre

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by cocoaway
Is there really a quota with this feature? If yes, i would be mad that nobody told it when you use the online logging.

Yes there is indeed a quota for the disk space, it is currently set to 50 MB by user. I think it is mentioned in the terms of uses, if not we are sorry.  At any rate, that size is not fix and may changes. There is talk about giving more space to user who contribute more to the community by posting material like skins, scripts, or just posting on the forum. Some of us are also thinking about removing it all together because the cost of making the software to managing it could be higher than the disk space.
Code is beautiful.
04-04-2011 12:33 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
What about integrating the system with external cloud storage providers? For example SkyDrive, Dropbox or Amazon Cloud Drive. These systems provide APIs for external applications to access them (although I believe for SkyDrive the API is still being developed). Using any one of those would mean not having to worry about disk space or enforcing limits. Also takes the security liability of storing someone's private conversations away.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-04-2011 12:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Alexandre.Lefebvre

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Online logging : Not enough space .. quota
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
What about integrating the system with external cloud storage providers?

The option of using cloud service provider was examine and rejected last year when we first develop the website. The bottom line is that we want to remain in control of our servers, because in the end we are the one that will be held accountable by the community.
Code is beautiful.
04-04-2011 02:14 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Alexandre.Lefebvre
The bottom line is that we want to remain in control of our servers, because in the end we are the one that will be held accountable by the community.
If I may ask, accountable for what exactly?

If the user can choose between or use 3rd party online storages like SkyDrive, Dropbox, Amazon, etc he surely knows that his/her content will be in the hands of those 3rd parties and as such they are 'accountable' for it, that's plain logic. Also, a simple disclaimer to make it legal is all it takes. The user will have no problem regarding that I think. On the contrary, I'm 200% sure the community would welcome it. Since it is a very old (since logging was first added) and thus long standing request from that same community.

;)

This post was edited on 04-04-2011 at 08:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-04-2011 04:12 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Alexandre.Lefebvre
Some of us are also thinking about removing it all together because the cost of making the software to managing it could be higher than the disk space

WTF?! Based on 5,000,000* users, all using 50Mb space (to capacity) it works out to about 240Tb. When I bought my 1Tb driver it was £100. I'm sure they're cheaper now, but at £100 each, it's £24,000~.

That may be a bit much, I can understand that. I also understand that it's possible to drop that price significantly by bulk-buying stuff.

I'm just wondering why it'd cost over £24,000 (or more if you based your prices on more users) to write software to manage the servers? Surely, there must be software already written for this?

I based it on 5,000,000 users, because I don't see more people than that actually using the chat logging feature (at least online). Out of 50,000,000 users, I could speculate around half are going to be established Plus! users re-downloading or doing a manual update from the website. I would say 1 in 5 people use the chat log feature (may be more, but online logging would be around this - There are under 17,000 myPlus accounts).

This is based only on numbers that I can make an educated guess with. If anyone has figures for this then it'd be great :)

This post was edited on 04-04-2011 at 07:55 PM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
04-04-2011 07:54 PM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky

This is based only on numbers that I can make an educated guess with. If anyone has figures for this then it'd be great :)[/size]

I just bought some 2TB drives for around £60, but even using the same numbers takes you to £7200
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
04-04-2011 10:27 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
There are under 17,000 myPlus accounts
Where do you base that on?

http://www.msgplus.net/Community/Members currently has 16992 pages, each page lists 12 users. This means there are 203904 MyPlus! accounts at the moment (assuming the last page is full, I guess it will be by the time I hit post). Somewhere around 90000 have been carried over from msghelp.net, more than doubled that amount in about 2 months.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-04-2011 11:16 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: