What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Messenger Plus in portuguese ( Brazil ) language

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Messenger Plus in portuguese ( Brazil ) language
Author: Message:
possetti

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Messenger Plus in portuguese ( Brazil ) language
Hi folks

I'm just wondering if there is any projet to translate Messenger Plus to portuguese ( Brazil ). I cannot find this language on package.

I'm a brazilian citzen, developer and I'm offering to translate Messenger Plus to portuguese ( Brazil ). If there is any interest on that please let me know. I can also translate the web site.

Email: possetti@gmail.com
msn: possetti@msn.com

Thx

This post was edited on 04-09-2011 at 11:27 AM by possetti.
04-09-2011 11:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus in portuguese ( Brazil ) language
Hi,

There is subforum dedicated to translations for Messenger Plus!. If you look there you'll see that there is already a brazillian translation for Messenger Plus!:
Brazilian translation for Messenger Plus!

As such, I'll request to the mods to move your thread to the translation subforum too, where it belongs. ;)

This post was edited on 04-09-2011 at 02:50 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-09-2011 02:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Hanna de Avalon

68 / Female / Flag
por favor não estou conseguindo gravar minhas conversas no plus 5
me de uma ajuda por favor

obrigada

Hanna:$
Esta pagima toda em Ingles to igual cego em tiroteio quem puder me ajudar por favor email

hanna_de_avalon@hotmail.com
04-20-2011 01:46 PM
Axtinguisher

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by possetti
Hi folks

I'm just wondering if there is any projet to translate Messenger Plus to portuguese ( Brazil ). I cannot find this language on package.

Hi Possetti, we do have already a Portuguese language in Messenger Plus! Although not specifically from Brazil but the international form of it.

«According to a recent language agreement, all Portuguese-speaking countries have accepted a language convention, making it officially unique and common...»

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Language_..._Agreement_of_1990

Portuguese translation here:
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acordo_Ortogr%C3%A1fico_de_1990

Hope this helps ;)

This post was edited on 04-20-2011 at 03:14 PM by Axtinguisher.
\\\"Mmmphhhh mphhhhh mmphh\\\"
04-20-2011 03:11 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Destroyzer

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Plus in portuguese ( Brazil ) language
quote:
Originally posted by Hanna de Avalon
por favor não estou conseguindo gravar minhas conversas no plus 5
me de uma ajuda por favor

obrigada

Vá nas configurações do Plus clicando no botão plus localizado na barra de menus e em "Preferências e Opções" ou algo do tipo.

Obs: Se as barras de menus não estiver visível, você só precisa apertar a tecla Alt para que ela apareça.

Agora siga para a aba Registros e clique em Registos de Conversação e marque a opção Ativar registo local de conversas.

Pronto :D
04-20-2011 04:01 PM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Axtinguisher
Hi Possetti, we do have already a Portuguese language in Messenger Plus! Although not specifically from Brazil but the international form of it.

«According to a recent language agreement, all Portuguese-speaking countries have accepted a language convention, making it officially unique and common...»

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Language_..._Agreement_of_1990

Portuguese translation here:
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acordo_Ortogr%C3%A1fico_de_1990

Hope this helps ;)

Actually, the lexical choice used on each country is still very different from each other, what makes that agreement sort of useless.
Any speaker is able to distinguish the European and Brazilian with ease, and it can be fairly complicated to understand each other depending on what terms are employed on the speech. There are, for example, words written and spoken in the same way in each region, but their meaning is completely different.
04-20-2011 05:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Axtinguisher

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Plus in portuguese ( Brazil ) language
quote:
Actually, the lexical choice used on each country is still very different from each other, what makes that agreement sort of useless.
Any speaker is able to distinguish the European and Brazilian with ease, and it can be fairly complicated to understand each other depending on what terms are employed on the speech. There are, for example, words written and spoken in the same way in each region, but their meaning is completely different.

Yes i know what you mean, as someone that speaks 3 languages i can see or rather hear these subtle differences when talking with people from different countries and this lexical choice per country is more accentuated in cultural items such as books, songs, etc...but in this case, here in Messenger Plus! for exemple, the terms are used in a technical aspect which i believe is less prompt to confusion regarding an international form of language....

What do you think??

\\\"Mmmphhhh mphhhhh mmphh\\\"
04-20-2011 07:53 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Axtinguisher
What do you think??
wrong :p

i guess that in portuguese it's the same than spanish. There are multiple differences between what you'd call "spanish from spain" and "spanish from everywhere else" (aka latin american spanish) And if you want to go further, every country has it's own idioms and heck, even different grammar rules, and  that happens even though there IS an institution that makes rules and such for spanish. It doesn't matter if Plus! has a more "technical" languages, there are still diferences in words such as "files" or "directories". Maybe everyone will understand the words used, but it will feel less "natural". The team has to think of words that suit everyone the most, that's the whole point of a good translation.

I have stated multiple times my opinion about this issue but i'll say it again: i think that the portuguese translation team should have at least 1 member from brazil. It makes sense, that member could actually check for words that are not common in brazil and the result would be a translation that is "neutral" and understandable by everyone. We did the same thing with spanish: We had 2 translations, one from spain (made by Choli and co.) and a latin american spanish (made by myself) and at some point we decided to merge the teams. And we managed to make a neutral version. I dont see why cant it be done with Portuguese.

Patchou never wanted to deal with this problem. Now that Yuna is around (and that sunny is responsible ;)) i think we should do something about this. Sunny? i seriously think that Chancer (or whoever) should be integrated into the portuguese team, it would make a better translation and we wouldnt have these kind of threads every month :P

This post was edited on 04-20-2011 at 11:43 PM by Chrono.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
04-20-2011 11:35 PM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
Yes, I fully agree with Chrono. If you want to have a better idea about the difference, just check most of "big" pieces of software, like OS, office tools (MS Office, OpenOffice, etc), even on WLM... widely-spread software.
What they have in common is that all of them have both Portugal and Brazil localizations.

Chrono proposed a neutral/mixed translation. The idea is great, but I think it's too hard to achieve satisfactory results for both sides. The best solution, IMHO, is to support both translations.
Whether they are "official" or not, it's not up to me. If Yuna decide to have both translations, it's going to be amazing to the community. Since you are now working as a company, I believe the translators might have sort of a payment (or they should, I think), therefore it may not be interesting for you.

I feel happy for the (indirect and unofficial :P) invitation, but actually I quit translating a while ago due to university and stuff - time is luxury nowadays. I never really bothered to make a "resignation speech", but I did contact blessedguy and asked him to keep up my work, and he's been doing it along with another guy I don't recall the name.
04-21-2011 03:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Essentially you are both saying the same thing as Axtinguisher though, or at least aiming for the same thing: 1 unified translation.

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Yes, I fully agree with Chrono. If you want to have a better idea about the difference, just check most of "big" pieces of software, like OS, office tools (MS Office, OpenOffice, etc), even on WLM... widely-spread software.
What they have in common is that all of them have both Portugal and Brazil localizations.
That's because up until 'now', there were two different orthographies. However, since a few years the former orthographies are not officially recognized anymore and instead the common new orthography should be used instead. It is even stated by law in Portugal in 2008 (albight with a 6 year transition period) -dixit Wiki-. You can be sure that "big" pieces of software will follow accordingly over time.

Despite what and how people might talk on the streets, and despite that people will still use 'old' words, the dialect of the country and spelling, in software you should use official spelling and grammar.

The same happened decades ago in Dutch; Dutch from The Netherlands and Belgium was different, not just spelling (that was actually almost the same anyways), but some words were written the same but had a very different meaning, and/or are prenounced a bit different. But the fact is that there is only one common official Dutch language, despite some people still using words typically for their own country and words which are not quite understood (or even misunderstood) in the other, up till today (and most likely in the futur). And yes, there are still language purists who still oppose to the use of some words, or on the opposit side who even go as far as inventing new (stupid, very far-fetched) words to try and make it 'real' Dutch.

There are many more examples of such orthographies and/or spelling changes where common languages spoken and used in different countries have become unified over the last couple of decades (spanish, german, french, etc)... Portuguese is just the latest one which became unified. If a language changes, the Plus! translation should follow, eventhough there might be still plenty people out there refusing to adapt.

The point is, there is now an officially recognized common orthography for both Pt-BR and Pt-PT. And since a few years it is the official language in both countries, if I'm not mistaken. And since we are dealing with software here, it should be used as such. Who is going to adapt their local translation or change it is up to the (unified) team, but either way it should be done nonetheless.

Of course it is going to take some effort to find a common ground and make it so that it feels natural for both countries as in: leave the 'typical local' words out and try to replace them with commonly understood words. I'm sure it can be done with a bit of goodwill from both sides, no? I have done this many years ago for Dutch (changed the oh-so-typical Netherlands'ish words into proper common Dutch ones), and Chrono and his team has done it for Spanish. It should be done for Portuguese too I think, if not now, than at least before 2014 (:p).

All this said, I do read (Google-translation) in that other thread that the pt-BR translation has adapted to the new orthography, or that you're at least busy with it or something. So, is there anything else that is holding you ('you' as in both the Portguese as Brazillian team) back from making a unified version? Are we missing something here (quite possible of course since we aren't living in either country)?

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Sunny? i seriously think that Chancer (or whoever) should be integrated into the portuguese team, it would make a better translation and we wouldnt have these kind of threads every month :P
tbh, that's not up to Sunshine. She can't force someone to join a/another team. The initiative must come from the teams themselves I think. They need to want to. And tbh, from what I've seen or at least read, there is some stubbornity into play (I can be wrong though. Actually, I hope I'm wrong).

But as long as that isn't done, I'm afraid the issue will continue to come up and we will have more threads like this every now and then.

This post was edited on 04-21-2011 at 09:34 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-21-2011 08:20 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: