What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Is there a portable version of Messenger?

Is there a portable version of Messenger?
Author: Message:
supersparky

O.P. Is there a portable version of Messenger?
if so, where can i get a genuine version? thanks
04-10-2011 09:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Is there a portable version of Messenger?
There is no official portable version of WLM. There seems to be a few different versions floating around on the internet which you can find by searching, but I have no experience of them and I don't recommend using them.

There are however quite a few 3rd party clients you can use, for example Pidgin (link to portable version).

This post was edited on 05-08-2011 at 02:59 PM by Vilkku.
[Image: signature.php]
04-10-2011 11:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
deyapretty

I have the WLM 2009 portable edition. I don't know if it's official but I downloaded it from a trusted spanish website:
http://www.messengeradictos.com/descargar-messenger

However, I would like to know if there's a WLM 2011 portable edition available.

I don't want to upgrade my WLM 2009 but I do like the new functionnality that allows you to see your facebook contacts when they sign in.
Basically I want some toaster or pop-up for when a facebook contact signs in.
;)
05-07-2011 09:01 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by deyapretty
I have the WLM 2009 portable edition. I don't know if it's official but I downloaded it from a trusted spanish website:
There never was an official portable version, there is no official portable version now, and there probably never will be. It doesn't exist. All portable versions are actually 3rd party 'hacks' of the official non-portable version (aka: pre-installed non-portable versions manipulated by somebody or some 3rd party program to make it (semi)portable)!

quote:
Originally posted by deyapretty
I don't want to upgrade my WLM 2009 but I do like the new functionnality that allows you to see your facebook contacts when they sign in.
Basically I want some toaster or pop-up for when a facebook contact signs in.
;)
Either upgrade and have that functionality, or either don't upgrade and don't have that functionality.

But note: it is possible in Windows Live Messenger 2009 to see updates from your Facebook contacts by clicking on the Facebook tab (enable the tab bar in Messenger) and signing in on Facebook.

PS: This has got nothing to do with Messenger being portable or not though.

;)

This post was edited on 05-07-2011 at 11:52 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-07-2011 10:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
deyapretty

Thanks. But I don't want to see updates. I want to know when a contact signs in. I know I can check on facebook directly but when I'm browsing other pages I cannot see who just signed in and sometimes when I check back, the person already left or is idle.
That's why I want a WLM 2011 portable version, so i can have the facebook chat integrated on msn (and see notifications whenever someone gets online), but on the other hand I want to keep my WLM 2009.

Actually, I want both WLM 2009 and 2011 lol =D
05-07-2011 11:04 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Wouldn't it be a better idea to find a 3rd party Facebook app/plugin/tool which simply links to Facebook and shows some notification if someone comes online? It's very possible something small like that already exists though.

Because running WLM 2011 just to check Facebook contacts' statusses is kind-of serious overkill if you ask me.

This post was edited on 05-08-2011 at 10:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-07-2011 11:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
deyapretty

RE: RE: Is there a portable version of Messenger?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Wouldn't it be a better idea to find a 3rd party Facebook app/plugin/tool which simply links to Facebook and shows some notification if someone comes online? It's very possible something small like that already exists though.

Because running WLM 2011 just to check Facebook contacts' statusses is kind-of serious overkill if you ask me.

Well I have looked for that kind of app and didn't find any. There are only apps that notify you when someone sends you a message (but facebook already does that with the Sound enable).

I've even tried to sign in facebook chat through ebuddy, but it doesn't notifiy me either.

Grrhaaa!! :@

lol^^
05-08-2011 01:33 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: