What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [released] XTC koffieshop (i.e. Dutch-participle helper)

[released] XTC koffieshop (i.e. Dutch-participle helper)
Author: Message:
SmokingCookie

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. [released] XTC koffieshop (i.e. Dutch-participle helper)
First of all: no, this ain't about XTC, coffee shops or or anything drugs-related :P I almost hear you thinking: well, what is it then? Well, let me give you some background: a friend of mine once asked me whether some Dutch participle was supposed to end on a T or on a D. So I made him a little script to figure that out. Not that it's very useful, but I thought: hey, let's release it anyway :P

So.. What? (a.k.a. "Features")

This script comes with two common method of access: a script menu and a command. If you use the script menu, a window in which you can type a (Dutch) verb, will pop up. If you use the command, you can either let the window pop up, or type the verb directly:

code:
/XTC <[verb]>

Note the [square brackets!] These are mandatory; if you don't use them, your input will be ignored and the window will pop up. If you supply no parameter (i.e. just type "/XTC"), the the window will pop up.

You can use this command remotely too:

code:
!XTC [verb]

However, you must supply exactly one parameter; if you don't the script will send you a message, providing you with the correct syntax.

What a NAME!

I know :P That's because of the trick used in this thing: if a verb ends on a consonant in the words "XTC koffieshop," you write the participle with a T; otherwise, you write it with a D.

Cool! (a.k.a. Download)

See attachment (if I don't forget (A) )

Ah crap! (a.k.a. Known issues)

None yet; if you find some, please post them here.

.plsc File Attachment: XTC koffieshop.plsc (8.28 KB)
This file has been downloaded 127 time(s).

This post was edited on 05-01-2011 at 04:33 PM by SmokingCookie.
05-01-2011 01:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
RE: [released] XTC koffieshop (i.e. Dutch-participle helper)
I think you either mean 't fokschaap or 't kofschip...
Reason that XTC koffieshop doesn't work is that the particle will only get a T if verb base form ends with ch, if it ends with a c or just an h, the particle should get a D...
[signature.jpg]
05-01-2011 04:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
SmokingCookie

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [released] XTC koffieshop (i.e. Dutch-participle helper)
Yeah I know.. But I've spent a couple of hours straight trying to think of a verb base ending on c or h, but haven't really succeeded yet :P
05-01-2011 05:42 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
cool :p

Though, I never quite understood (and thus used) the usage of the 't Kofschip-trick. I mean, if you pronounce the past tense of the verb you can always clearly hear what letter you need to use (in 99,9999% cases*)...

*which is much more than using the 't kofschip-trick and remembering its exceptions.

Also, the 't Kofship-trick wont work with several verbs, especially verbs derived from English.
Eg: 'Faxen' => "Faxte" (not "Faxde").
(of course of you use your "XTC" prefix it would work for this particular verb :p)

And of course irregular verbs like "kopen" wont work either (but that's obvious).

quote:
Originally posted by SmokingCookie
Yeah I know.. But I've spent a couple of hours straight trying to think of a verb base ending on c or h, but haven't really succeeded yet :P
"lachen", "crashen", ...
Dunno one with 'c' so quickly though...

Also take in account verbs like "skiën" in case you're searching the end of the string for "en", it will fail (haven't looked at the source).
Then there is also the problem of taking the base of that verb: the base is "skie" not "ski". In case of "'t kofschip" the trick will work ("e" isn't in "'t kopschip" so it is "skiede"), but if you use "koffieshop" it will fail, you'll have a "e" in there...

PS: maybe to further increase the use of the script you could hard code irregular verbs? http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_sterke_en_..._in_het_Nederlands

Also, I would remove the mandatory usage of the square brackets in the parameter. They seem useless imho; if no parameter is given, open the window. If a parameter is given, try to parse it.

;)

This post was edited on 05-02-2011 at 01:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-02-2011 11:27 AM
SmokingCookie

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [released] XTC koffieshop (i.e. Dutch-participle helper)
That's what I thought too when it was working :P I know about the pronunciation rule, but not everyone does. That's why I wrote the core function in the first place (and I never intended to release :P ).

"Faxen" does indeed work (omg who uses fax machines anyway? xD) because of the XTC prefix; you'll only fool it when you use irregular and/or strong verbs and I might indeed hard-code that when I've got time to waste nothing to do.

Verbs like "lachen" and "crashen" will be treated correctly: it'll tell you that you write "gecrasht" (in essence, "crashen" ends on an H, rather than SH; as far as the script is concerned though :P ).

About the e: I only check for consonants, so it'll loop through this array:

JScript code:
["x","t","c","k","f","s","h","p"];

As you can see, I don't just split up "xtckoffieshop," I take the vowels out too. That's why it'll answer D anyway. However, I didn't check for "ën" so thanks for the hint :O :P

In the next release, I'll use a regular expression to scrap unnecessary stuff from the command - still struggling with that though :P but please don't give it away; wanna find it all out myself ;)

On a side note: I've built my nice scrolling feature into this thing too.

This post was edited on 05-02-2011 at 01:42 PM by SmokingCookie.
05-02-2011 01:12 PM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
In most cases the script will work properly, but Dutch is a crazy language, and the rule is actually sound based not letter based:
http://www.onzetaal.nl/advies/kofschip.php
So in some cases the script will give the wrong result.
Don't know if there is a solution for that though (unless you are willing to include all the exceptions...)
[signature.jpg]
05-02-2011 01:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: