What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How to deal with this spam...

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
How to deal with this spam...
Author: Message:
whiz

– / – / Flag
O.P. Huh?  How to deal with this spam...
Right, basically, there's this random person who seems to send me messages sometimes when I sign in.  Like this.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1016063]

They are not on my contact list, so I cannot block them.  And I don't want to add them, do I?  All I can do is report as compromised, which isn't what I want to do here.  So what is the best way of "blocking" them (in quotes, since blocking doesn't really do what it used to any more...)?

.png File Attachment: Person.png (144.05 KB)
This file has been downloaded 369 time(s).
08-05-2011 07:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: How to deal with this spam...
[Image: NVftv.png]
08-05-2011 07:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
whiz

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: How to deal with this spam...
[Image: attachment.php?pid=1016066]

I'm on WLM 2011...

.png File Attachment: Privacy.png (59.99 KB)
This file has been downloaded 341 time(s).

This post was edited on 08-05-2011 at 07:32 PM by whiz.
08-05-2011 07:32 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by whiz
I'm on WLM 2011...

Click Edit Settings, the description of the button describes exactly what you need :p, "who can send you messages"
08-05-2011 07:38 PM
whiz

– / – / Flag
Just redirects to http://profile.live.com/privacy.  I don't see an option for privacy settings in Messenger, but everything is set to friends only (apart from friend invites, which is friends of friends).  And this person definitely isn't a friend (not a contact, and haven't previously allowed them).
08-05-2011 07:43 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
So on the advanced portion of the privacy page, there is nothing in "Who can contact me" set to Everyone?

Beyond that I have no idea, I've never used 2011, and hoped WLM hasn't turned into complete uselessness, but it seems I'm wrong.

Sorry :p
08-05-2011 09:11 PM
whiz

– / – / Flag
I have friend/group invites on friends of friends, and comments set to friends only.  That's all for the contact section.

This seems a bit of a loophole in the privacy settings...  :^)

See, I can't even add them to Messenger and then block them without having to send them an invite first.

Edit: the web version of Messenger seems a bit better...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1016074]

Have reported abuse and reported as a spammer.  Although I doubt much will happen (at least, any time soon)...

.png File Attachment: Web.png (13.11 KB)
This file has been downloaded 348 time(s).

This post was edited on 08-06-2011 at 10:25 AM by whiz.
08-06-2011 10:23 AM
russd1978

Sorry to drag up an old thread - but has anyone solved this problem yet in WLM 11?

I have been into my privacy settings and set it to Private, yet it is still happening.  After the person has messaged me they appear offline so I can't add them to my contacts and then right click them and appear offline/block them.

I have also run full virus scan via Kaspersky and Malwarebytes - no threats.

Years ago, MSN Messenger had a facility to manually block email addresses (an "allow list" and a "block list"). 

Why does Microsoft insist on making each version of Messenger slightly worse than the last?  Its bizarre!
02-11-2012 02:36 PM
Soulstar

I too have registered just to add further weight and attention to this issue. I only learned yesterday that the block feature has been removed in place of another system on the who can msg you screen consisting of a load of settings and bars you can alter.

I've been getting a very similar bot with almost identical messages at random over the last few days. After switching the settings to it's maximum security i.e. Private only, the bot has still managed to find it's way to message me.

I made the mistake of replying to this bot for the humerous crack of it about a week ago, where usually i'd just block and remove instantly. I think this was a mistake really as it must have triggered it into think i've taken the bait, therefore won't leave me alone.

So as of the moment I cannot see a way around this at all.
02-12-2012 03:32 PM
Soulstar

Ok I may have fixed my problem with this. Despite blocking the contact then removing from my phone version of MSN, I don't think it actually removed the name from my list of contacts.

quote:

The feature of blocking contacts under Windows Live Messenger has now been redesigned with the introduction of Windows Live Messenger 2011. The feature used to be available at Messenger Options > Privacy and is now available at http://contacts.live.com

In order to delete and block contacts follow the instructions below:

a. Visit http://contacts.live.com, then login using the Email Address and Password you use to access Windows Live Messenger
b. On the left pane of the Contacts page, under All Contacts, click on Messenger
c. Search for the contact you would like to delete and block
d. Once you have found the contact you would like to block click the contact name

This will take you to the contact details menu. Under this section:

e. Click Manage and then select the option Remove as a friend

By doing this you have just blocked a contact from Messenger. In order to have the contact deleted from your contacts list:

f. Hover the pointer over Messenger on the very top of the page and select the option Contacts
g. Check the box next the contact you want to delete and then press Delete button on the menu bar just above

I tried the above and found that the e-mail of the bot account was still in my list of contacts, so currently I have deleted the name and for the last 10 minutes nothing has been heard of from the bot.

Hope it helps.

[EDIT]
None of this worked. It doesn't seem possible to get rid of at all. MSN has well and truly become shite over the years.

[Re-Edit]
Crap no it didn't.

This post was edited on 02-13-2012 at 11:29 AM by Soulstar.
02-12-2012 08:09 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: