What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » MP!L Not Working

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
MP!L Not Working
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: MP!L Not Working
quote:
Originally posted by keiththewolf
I suppose that's whats responsible for detecting when Windows Live Messenger is running?
It is suppose to detect certain problems with Plus! (like crippled installation) and to check for updates.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-09-2011 10:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
keiththewolf

Ah, ok. So then I can assume I installed it correctly, and it's up to date, since it's not dating anything? It's kinda weird that it's just not there. I'm not sure what could be blocking it. I have BitDefender as my antivirus, but MP!L is on it's allowed. And unfortunate, it's hard to know what everyone has installed on their computer, to look for any correlation. XP
11-09-2011 10:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
benjis90

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: MP!L Not Working
quote:
I have BitDefender as my antivirus, but MP!L is on it's allowed.
I use BitDefender too, is there any incompatibility? i had the problems before i use BitDefender, i think, thats not the trouble... :^)
11-11-2011 01:35 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by benjis90
quote:
I have BitDefender as my antivirus, but MP!L is on it's allowed.
I use BitDefender too, is there any incompatibility?
It could be, although it shouldn't be.

Problems like this are always very hard to diagnose since there are all kinds of (rare) programs which might interfear with how Messenger and Messenger Plus! works.

The best thing you can do, although very time consuming, is to selectively uninstall certain programs and then restart Messenger to see if the problem goes away.
11-11-2011 02:56 PM
keiththewolf

It IS Bitdefender! More specifically, Active Virus Control (or atleast what its called in the 2012 version). I stumbled upon this when I noticed that MP!L was suddenly working today, and so I was setting it up for the first time, and thought it had fixed itself.  But then I found out the the AVC wasn't enabled, so I tried to enable it, but it kept failing. This is because I had to do a hard reboot on my computer, since it froze; which corrupted "vsserv.exe", which is the AVC service for Bitdefender. After updating Bitdefender, which repaired vsserv.exe, MP!L disappears again. I turn Active Virus Control off, MP!L comes back! So it is Bitdefender's Active Virus Control. I have tried adding MP!L's applicates to every sort of excepmtions list I know of, and no avail.

Bottom line: If you have Bitdefender, with Active Virus Control enabled, then you most likely won't see MP!L, since somehow it's blocking it. However, I believe that it is an essential part of protecting your computer from threats, and do not recommend you disable it. If you do, do so at YOUR OWN RISK!

Also, a note to the developers: It may be beneficial to look into why Bitdefender is blocking MP!L. Perhaps get in contact with them about the issue. Because for some reason, Bitdefender is conflicting with your application, and as a end-user, and in the field of IT, compatibility is a must!
11-13-2011 09:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
That's a very interesting find. Thanks.
I hope some of the devs of Plus! will read your post.
11-14-2011 12:52 PM
keiththewolf

RE: RE: MP!L Not Working
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
That's a very interesting find. Thanks.
I hope some of the devs of Plus! will read your post.

It's no problem really. Now atleast I know why it isn't working. I wouldn't have found it though if my antivirus didn't corrupt itself somehow though. Oh well....yeah, hopefully the devs will pick up on this too. But I've also let Bitdefender know, since they should improve there product as well. An antivirus should protect your computer from harm, not block you from running applications you want to run. MP!L is just one program, and it's hard to tell how many other programs as well conflict with Bitdefender. I hope they look into it, as it would make the product more compatible with what the user wants to do.
11-14-2011 07:24 PM
keiththewolf

I know this is a very late reply, but I actually found the answer to the problem recently. I noticed that when i disabled the Active Virus Control on Bitdefender, MP!L was working! and so, i contacted Bitdefender support about the problem, and found out there was a second security scanner running on my computer the whole time, and the two scans running at the same time where not allowing MP!L to run. And so I took off the second security program (in my case, it was Secunia), and now MP!L is running like it should! ^^
01-16-2012 03:33 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: