What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Contact List Clean-Up chronic issues

Contact List Clean-Up chronic issues
Author: Message:
Fabulist

O.P. Contact List Clean-Up chronic issues
Hello everyone,

So I have been using Messenger Plus for about 3 or 4 years now, and until a certain period and beyond (I think after 2009) Messenger Plus assumes certain people do not have me in their contact list, but that's a false positive.

This happens mostly in new contacts but not with all of them. The major issue is, it assumes people do not have me in their contact list, while I've had them and they had me since before I used Messenger Plus live.

Now I verified this with over 5 contacts (I actually logged in with their accounts or they logged in in front of me to verify they had me added) and still I can't figure out what the problem is.

I tried to work around this by making my friends delete me, so I could delete them too, and I can re-add them or they to re-add me. Unfortunately this didn't work either.

As I said specific contacts, new and old, constantly presented this problem over the years, and that includes various contacts from @hotmail.com - @live.com - @yahoo.com, people with fresh or old e-mail accounts.

-

So my question is; is there a way to fix this? Is there another alternative and reliable way where I can check who has deleted me / blocked me? Is this a problem with my e-mail account instead of MsgPlus and should I contact Microsoft about it?

Thanks in advance for any response.

EDIT: I already asked this once in the past and I had no response, and yes I have searched the forum and I did find similar threads with similar problems but I could not find a helpful answer.

This post was edited on 11-07-2011 at 04:26 PM by Fabulist.
11-07-2011 04:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: Contact List Clean-Up chronic issues
quote:
Originally posted by Fabulist
Is there another alternative and reliable way where I can check who has deleted me / blocked me?

No.

Well, MsgPlus retrieves such information from Microsoft's Messenger servers, and unfortunately, since around Autumn 2009 (north hemisphere) the information has not been accurate.

You can try complaining to Microsoft though :p

This post was edited on 11-07-2011 at 04:55 PM by Mnjul.
11-07-2011 04:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Fabulist

O.P. RE: Contact List Clean-Up chronic issues
Well that's a disappointment.

Then the question is; assuming the Messenger Plus staff has knowledge over this matter, why do they continue to support such a function in their program, such as the contact clean-up, since it is flawed and cannot be fixed but only by Microsoft?

Don't they understand that this can create unwanted problems and misunderstandings among people?

Anyway, thanks for your response.
11-07-2011 05:32 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Well that's a disappointment.

Then the question is; assuming the Messenger Plus staff has knowledge over this matter, why do they continue to support such a function in their program, such as the contact clean-up, since it is flawed and cannot be fixed but only by Microsoft?

Don't they understand that this can create unwanted problems and misunderstandings among people?

Anyway, thanks for your response.
This is what happens when a corporation takes over one mans works. Voices are heard but tend to be swept under the rug...
11-07-2011 05:59 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
The functionality is still there but in that same panel it is clearly stated that this particular information is not 100% accurate.

When it indicates "No, contact doesn't have you" it might be wrong. But if it states "Yes, contact has you", it is correct though. So it is not completely wrong either and as such is not completely useless either. Everything else about the Contact List Cleanup panel is 100% correct.

Also note that this reverse list is still included in WLM 14 (2009) itself without any note that it isn't that accurate anymore!! Tools > Options > Privacy > Who has added me

(So, in fact, one could argue that this reverse list information in Messenger Plus! is still accurate, in the sense that Plus! simply shows what Windows Live Messenger provides)

If you don't see such a statement that it is not "reliable" in Messenger Plus!'s Contact List Cleanup panel, it means you either don't have an up-to-date Messenger Plus! or that the translation you're using isn't accurate (and consequently you need to complain to the translator(s) of that translation in question).

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1017729]

PS: Since MS has changed how the reverse list works many many (and I realy mean many) posts have been posted on this forum in regards to that, explaining the issue and why it sometimes gives wrong information. A search with "reverse list" or "contact cleanup" or something like that should surely list such posts.

-------

quote:
Originally posted by matty
This is what happens when a corporation takes over one mans works. Voices are heard but tend to be swept under the rug...
Oh matty come on... Yuna fucked up many things, but not everything is their fault. Even when Patchou was still the only one developping Plus!, Microsoft had already changed how the reverse list works. Moreover, IIRC it was only one of the last 4.90 versions/first Plus! 5 versions, thus when Yuna took over, that this note of '[not reliable]' was added! So, if anything, you should blame Patchou for not making that change anytime sooner. And blame MS too for not updating Windows Live Messenger 14.

.png File Attachment: plus_ctctcleanup.png (8.54 KB)
This file has been downloaded 410 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-08-2011 at 11:21 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-08-2011 11:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Oh matty come on... Yuna fucked up many things, but not everything is their fault. Even when Patchou was still the only one developping Plus!, Microsoft had already changed how the reverse list works. Moreover, IIRC it was only one of the last 4.90 versions/first Plus! 5 versions, thus when Yuna took over, that this note of '[not reliable]' was added! So, if anything, you should blame Patchou for not making that change anytime sooner. And blame MS too for not updating Windows Live Messenger 14.

Correct me if I am wrong Patchou was waiting to see if they were going to fix it prior to removing it... and clearly they didn't. Yuna could simply hide the column instead of adding a tag... Just saying that since Microsoft hasn't fixed it then Yuna should be removing it...
11-08-2011 12:12 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Correct, but Patchou never did remove it even after it was already clear the change was permanent. (multiple posts on the forum exist were it was requested to be removed too, which were "ignored" by Patchou too).

Just saying you don't need to post in every thread something like "This is what happens when a corporation takes over one mans works. Voices are heard but tend to be swept under the rug..." when such a very general thing is uncalled for.

Either way, the column isn't completely useless either. It is a matter of properly interpreting what is displayed without jumping to conclussions (those very similar blockchecker/'is offline' issues come to mind here).
11-08-2011 02:16 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Just saying you don't need to post in every thread something like "This is what happens when a corporation takes over one mans works. Voices are heard but tend to be swept under the rug..." when such a very general thing is uncalled for.
I don't post that in every thread. Nice try Cook :P
11-08-2011 02:20 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Ok, correction: many threads then... posts with same content and same underlying thoughts, but different words. You know what I meant by that ;)

This post was edited on 11-08-2011 at 02:42 PM by CookieRevised.
11-08-2011 02:38 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: