What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?

Pages: (8): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
1 votes - 3 average   How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
Author: Message:
tarqeq

45 / Male / Flag
O.P. How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
I love Plus! for my MSN, however I hate when Plus! Network agressively keeps changing my search engine in FireFox.

I have not authorized the Plus! Network as search engine and I keep changing it back to Google both in the search bar and in the adress bar. I have deleted it as a search option in "manage search engines" and I have change it in "about:config" in FireFox numeros times, but Plus! keeps overriding it :(

So why is Plus! Network so aggressive to change my search engine options all the time?
Please fix this.
11-25-2011 11:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
You definitely installed the Plus! Sponsor. In the add remove programs find Plus! and it should give you an option to remove the sponsor only.
11-25-2011 01:22 PM
tarqeq

45 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
Not true, because I always make sure I don't install sponsors and I definetly did not authorize or installed the Plus! sponsor. Of this I am 100% sure.
12-12-2011 03:28 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Well it doesn't just install itself without the users consent. That is why it is optional.

In the installer there is two "I Agree" sections, the first one is the sponsor the second is for Plus!.
12-12-2011 04:05 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by tarqeq
Not true, because I always make sure I don't install sponsors and I definetly did not authorize or installed the Plus! sponsor. Of this I am 100% sure.

I'm pretty sure that the sponsor software does not even get downloaded until you consent to installing it. If I remember rightly, it is no longer bundled into the same installer.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-12-2011 06:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tarqeq

45 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
And that is why I did not agree nor did I istall the sponsor. Like I said I never give permission to sponsors when I install programs on my pc. I always choose the advanced option so I can make sure what I agree to install. I am not a complete idiot, I'm only just part nerd ;)

But let's not keep arguing about that, how do I fix the problem?
And again, no the sponsor is not installed on my computer. So just remove Plus! and stop using it or reinstall?
12-14-2011 12:17 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
The latter.
12-14-2011 01:24 PM
Shadyrose

Spunky and Matty are you both wrong. I have this same exact issue,  only in Chrome. I thought during my initial install I'd just missed a checkbox somewhere and I've been dealing with their very poor excuse for a search engine. I installed the update today and triple checked that I hadn't selected the "Do you want to make MsnPlus your default search engine" plus the other 2 sponsor things it wanted me to install.

I know for a fact I didn't select them. MsnPlus is installing these things without the users permission. No doubt because they make money when people give up and start using their search engine. It's pathetic, and possibly illegal. The makers of this addon should be ashamed of themselves.

This post was edited on 12-15-2011 at 01:22 AM by Shadyrose.
12-15-2011 01:22 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
There are no ifs or buts. When the checkbox is ticked, the sponsor gets installed. If it installs the sponsor for one user, it installs it for all users. I have chosen not to install it, I do not have it on my computer. I find it quite rude of users to come and complain, even so much as to tell me I'm wrong about something I have been involved with for a number of years. If you could provide some information  about where you downloaded the setup file from, the version number etc, we may have been able to help you.

As it is, you say the makers should be ashamed of themselves for something you suspect them of doing although with out some sort of installer log, or packet sniffer to log a download of the sponsor software, it can not be proved.

I am not saying I don't believe the sponsor is installed (there are a few threads about this), but every thread I've seen here relating to this is because the user did in fact select the option (whether they were confused or didn't pay attention during setup).

My advice is to check the Add/Remove programs list. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if the sponsor shows up as it's own entry now, or whether you can do it from Messenger Plus' entry. If you can't find a way to do it, uninstall Messenger Plus and the sponsor and then re-install with the sponsor disabled.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-15-2011 02:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anagoogle

I'm sorry to say but I too have *exactly* the same problem and I did not check any boxes allowing the installation of anything other than Plus. Here's what I've done so far:

I've reset my default search engine to what it should be as Plus Network had hijacked that.
I deleted it from my list of search engines. It'd hijacked that.
I've removed it from my Add-ons Manager. I didn't say it could add anything in the first place.
I've removed all traces from Add/Remove programs - including Plus itself.

Unfortunately, Plus Network is STILL hijacking Firefox. That is to say, when I type in address bar, I'm usually directed to Google. Currently, I'm directed to Plus Network.

As I've already uninstalled all traces of the sponsors and Plus, I can only assume that this particular update/sponsor has somehow managed to embed itself directly into Firefox.

Some help would be very appreciated.

EDIT: I've just uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled, losing all of my settings in the process, but at least it got rid of the stupid Plus Network.

This post was edited on 12-15-2011 at 05:10 AM by Anagoogle.
12-15-2011 04:43 AM
Pages: (8): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: