What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
1 votes - 3 average   How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
Originally posted by Anagoogle
Unfortunately, Plus Network is STILL hijacking Firefox. That is to say, when I type in address bar, I'm usually directed to Google. Currently, I'm directed to Plus Network.
Have you tried resetting the Keyword.URL setting before you completely removed FireFox?
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-18-2011 04:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anagoogle

No, I didn't try that because I didn't know how to, but thanks for the tip for next time. It's unfortunate that the sponsor does this to begin with, though.
12-18-2011 06:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
No, I didn't try that because I didn't know how to, but thanks for the tip for next time. It's unfortunate that the sponsor does this to begin with, though.
Well, that was probably the reason why you thought the sponsor was still present but hidden and hijacking and all... The Keyword.URL in Firefox is just a setting which controls the keyword search. So you may remove every program from your computer, the setting will still be there, since it is just an URL. And since users can change that at their will at any time, the 'old' value is not stored. Hence it can not be restored automatically after you uninstall the sponsor; you need to do that manually.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-18-2011 07:51 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
Hi guys,

I have been following this thread with interest and wanted to clarify a few things on behalf of Yuna Software:

1.    The installation of Messenger Plus! remains transparent and our services are still optional.  As you can see in the window below, users can choose whichever checkboxes they want during the installation process.  (In the scenario below, the user has chosen NOT to install the toolbar, not to install the default search but yes, to make Plus! network his/her homepage).

2.    To uninstall the toolbar, the software, or Plus! Network, standard uninstall procedures are in place via Add/Remove

3.    Disabling the toolbar will not uninstall the toolbar.  To uninstall, you must use add/remove.

4.    We agree that more documentation was needed for the uninstall process of the Messenger Plus! Community Smartbar and are happy to refer you to the brand new FAQ here which gives users detailed uninstall instructions, including removing the search and changing the home page

[http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html

5.    If you have suggestions in improving the documentation on this page, feel free to send me a private message.

[Image: 6537025783_f1080a6cc1.jpg]

As always, we appreciate your feedback.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

12-19-2011 11:16 AM
mystix007

RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie

2.    To uninstall the toolbar, the software, or Plus! Network, standard uninstall procedures are in place via Add/Remove

3.    Disabling the toolbar will not uninstall the toolbar.  To uninstall, you must use add/remove.

I've uninstalled EVERYTHING related to plus! including the browser addons, and the plus! software itself. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my browsers. and  IT STILL REDIRECTS MY SEARCHES TO THE PLUS! NETWORK.

Please provide better instructions on how to uninstall this unwanted malware.
12-20-2011 01:38 AM
Anagoogle

mystix (and others), these are the instructions you need, which CookieRevised mentioned:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Location%20bar%20search

No one should have to start going into advanced settings to get rid of this stuff, but following the above link and the instructions will work.

This post was edited on 12-20-2011 at 01:44 AM by Anagoogle.
12-20-2011 01:42 AM
mystix007

RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
quote:
mystix (and others), these are the instructions you need, which CookieRevised mentioned:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Location%20bar%20search

No one should have to start going into advanced settings to get rid of this stuff, but following the above link and the instructions will work.

thank you so much i finally have my firefox back!
but i'd also like my chrome back >>'' any ideas?

by now i have uninstalled everything!!! including browser companion
then i went into my startup and disabled it from starting
then i went into my program folders and deleted that folder
and it STILL searches with the plus network..  how utterly annoying.
12-20-2011 02:26 AM
Anagoogle

See the first "Best Answer" for the solution to Chrome:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thre...ba383ffd1f4f&hl=en
12-20-2011 09:33 AM
mimic789

Sad  RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine?
uff, never more Messenger Plus !!!

Messenger Plus install the update automaticaly !!! I never checked sponzor  during the installation.  Messenger Plus rebbed me 3,5 hours of my work !!!
I cleaned the firefox, but i still can not clean chrome.

This would never have to wait on the application that is associated with Microsoft !!!

I reinstall application (downloaded from this web - for reinstall), cleaned registry, I used hitjack, and yet others ... and stupid Plus!network occupying my address bar in chrome :(

How to get rid of it? This following instructions lead nowhere.

quote:
See the first "Best Answer" for the solution to Chrome:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thre...ba383ffd1f4f&hl=en

thx for URL,
... works
12-20-2011 03:54 PM
tarqeq

45 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
I still have the same problem, Plus! Network keeps changing my search engine in Firefox serarchbar and address bar. And the last time this happened was today.
I change them back to google and delete Plus! network as an search engine option, but still Plus Network! changes it back and adds it to the list.

As I have made clear before, I did not authorize the add-on to be installed, nor did I authorize the installer to change my homepage or search engine. Of this I am 100% sure.

I have tripple checked if the add-on is installed, even though I know for certain that it never has been installed on my PC. Nor do I have other programs installed that includes giving access to the Plus! network. I even uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure I didn't give any authorization to add-ons etc. Again I am 100% sure because I am suspicious of any program I install and always make sure I choose the advanced options so I make sure I don't give permission for any program to change things on my pc or add-ons to be installed.

I am using the lates norwegian version of Firefox 8.0. I dowloaded MsgPlus! direclty from msgplus.net and the current norwegian version is 5.10.0.750.

As I am only part nerd I don't know how to give you logs or other proof, other than my word for what I tell you is the truth.
12-20-2011 04:47 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: