What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?

Pages: (8): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] Last »
1 votes - 3 average   How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
Author: Message:
eriktheviking

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?
1. Go to Internet options (home page) and delete Plus network's address. 2.Substitute "disable Plus forever" or any other irrevelent rubbish and click OK. When you next open your official browser you will get the message Internet Explorer cannot open this page instead  of the infuriating "Plus network" and its infuriating Adverts!  All you then have to do is click on the task bar for your usual website.  I appreciate this operation is not the ultimate demolition of Plus but at least it prevents their website appearing initially when you select your Homepage.    Hope this alleviates the aggro  somewhat ,bearing in mind "every lttle helps !!"
11-03-2012 02:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Cani Lupine

Hello,

I just now noticed I have the same problem with Messenger Plus for Skype. I am 1,000,000% absolutely, positively, completely and utterly certain that I unchecked all boxes for sponsor programs, toolbars, and default search engines, because I never, ever install the fat that goes along with programs like these, and I have found that my default search engine in both Firefox and Chrome have been changed to Plus Search without my consent. Now, I'm going to need to spend extra time to remove this malware from my computer.

I have removed Messenger Plus for Skype from my computer, and will never be using any software from Yuna again.

The repeated denial of this problem by forum staff is extremely disheartening and very unprofessional. It's easy to blame the user, but the fact of the matter here is that you guys are putting out malware. Plain and simple.
01-14-2013 07:05 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Cani Lupine, Thanks for your report.

But I want to make 1 thing extremely clear with all this:

The 'forum staff' and/or elite/long time members don't have anything to do with this!!!!
They are volunteers, nor payed, nor endorsed in any way to give the support they give. If there are problems with the software like this, it is Yuna which is to blame!
PS: if you read a bit more on the forums, also in different threads, you'll see that the 'forum staff' and/or elite/long time members yank Yuna's chains quite a lot about these issues. Both by using these forums as via private emails. Unfortunatly, we can't do anything more either.
(and quite frankly this is also the reason why so much long time members have left already)

This said, there are/were situations before where it is/was indeed the user whom did not read the sponsor install screens and (accidently) left the sponsor boxes ticked. Or the uninstall procedure (albight not always easy for everybody) wasn't performed completely or in the correct way (anti-viri blocking it, processes still running and thus blocked from removing, etc). Those are facts.

However, only recently, even with unticking these boxes, sponsor stuff got still installed. But again, this is happening only recently.

So just dismissing everything said before by the forum staff and elite/long time members as "unprofessional" is a bit uncalled for.
But also blaming forum staff and elite/long time members for putting out malware is completely uncalled for and completely wrong to do so (certainly not a "fact of the matter" as you say). Again, this forum, all its staff and long time members, don't have anything to do with publishing MsgPlus nor its byproducts.

Let's just hope Yuna (who is the only one responsible for this) fixes these major issues asap...... if they didn't already (hence the reason why it is extremely important to only download from the official site and not some 'old' copy from somewhere else). The longer they wait and the more they fail with this, the more users will leave and the more MsgPlus' reputation will be permanently damaged.

;-)

This post was edited on 01-16-2013 at 02:13 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-14-2013 10:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
nephilim123

So let's see now. There are major problems with the online installer (i can't even download it because our proxy prevents exe downloads) that prevent users from installing the software for about 7 months now? Next to that, months of problems with changing system settings while users opt out?

So what exactly does work then..? Users complains are not enough to make an offline installer? (It can not be that hard because you did it before..) And not important enough to fix the settings thing, that can be described as spyware because you fail to fix it?

I'm not sure what happend to you guys.. MsgPlus was once a very good application.. And you managed to destroy it within months.. Or in other words, DO SOMETHING! Like everyone on this forum is asking you to!
01-30-2013 07:59 AM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
The online installer is industry standard and actually weighs less than an offline one.   It also promises installation of the latest software and not any outdated version like the offline version.

Nothing is changed or installed without user's permission given by checking/unchecking the checkboxes.

The installation process is transparent so that you can opt in or out.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

01-30-2013 03:58 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Nathalie, in all fairness:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
The online installer is industry standard
A 'standard' which is seriously frowned upon by many people.
Yes, that type of wrapper and installer is used in many other software packages, but most have questionable motives and most of that (shareware) software is of bad quality. Ask any computer user with some knowledge on the matter and they will all say the same thing.
So, I wont call that a 'standard' at all!
Often (mis)used, yes, but certainly not a 'standard' at all.

quote:
and actually weighs less than an offline one.
That is maybe one of the biggest misconceptions!!!
Online installers are usefull for only a very small percentage of users and only when such installers let you choose a wide variaty of packages (eg: like MS Office offers many different stuff which you don't necessarily need) and when it would otherwise be an installer of like 200MB or something. Only THEN it might be usefull.

But for Plus! it is of no use at all!
Plus! is one package, so everything needs to be downloaded anyways, no matter what. It is also still small enough to be downloaded as one package. (granted, there are still people on very slow connections, but that point is completely mute since they need to download everything anyways with the online installer!!!!)

Moreover, there are more problems with such online installers (eg: hard to rollback to a previous version, for whataver reasons, problems with proxies, like nephilim123 said, high on maintenance, hard to debug, hard to keep track of) than that they would solve anything at all.

And even if other companies use online installers, they ALL also provide a complete package as an offline installer too!

The only thing online installers, in a situation like Plus!, might have over offline installers is that you minimize the load on your servers more since people who don't want to install, wont download the complete thing (although that isn't entirly true either since your online installer already starts to download stuff even if the user hasn't actually started the install procedure).

quote:
The installation process is transparent so that you can opt in or out.
Are you saying that all the problems with the browser addons, the automatically changing browser settings (also the massive problem that the Plus! Windows Service ignores the user's opt in/out choice) and what not, are all solved now?

This post was edited on 01-31-2013 at 12:09 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-30-2013 11:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Teqnine

Hello, I too did not accept for anything to be added or changed in my browser but when I open my browser (Chrome) I get two browser windows that open up, one with my original default page and the other with the plusnetwork crap. Well after some digging in the settings of my chrome browser I found an option called "On Start Up" here you have several options, if you tick the third one "Open a specific page or set of pages" then click on "Set pages" Here you can delete the plusnetwork page and only allow your default main page to open. Not sure about firefox or IE but it may be similar. For Chrome this worked for me.

Hope it Helps.
02-07-2013 04:07 PM
olivex

云

There should be no more such arguement now, as adware is no longer an option.
03-19-2013 10:43 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: