What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Generation(s) Y and Z

Generation(s) Y and Z
Author: Message:
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
O.P. Generation(s) Y and Z
For those of you in the community who grew up with Messenger Plus! since the beginning  (I know it' s not all of you and there are some generation X people still around!), I was wondering if you consider yourself Generation Y or Z and what you think the difference is.

Wikipedia and other sources attempt to explain the difference, but I was curious to hear your thoughts on the terminology and other things you think characterize or differentiate yourself from other generation/s.

Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

03-11-2012 02:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Generation(s) Y and Z
Experts disagree a lot on the age ranges for both Y and Z

Generation Y (Millennial Generation) born between January 1, 1976 and December 31, 1989

Generation Z (Net Generation) born between January 1, 1990 and December 31 2001

Generation AO (Always-On Generation)  born between the early 2000s and the 2020s
03-12-2012 02:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Generation(s) Y and Z
Discrate - What I was wondering is do you think there is really such a difference in mentality between Y and Z?  This as as opposed to X and Y. Both Y and Z grew up with the internet and quick advances in technology that didn't characterize X and the baby boomers/post  baby boomers. 
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

03-12-2012 08:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Generation(s) Y and Z
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
What I was wondering is do you think there is really such a difference in mentality between Y and Z?
There will always be a generation <whatever the name is> with a slightly different mentality than generation <whataver the other name is>. But that has less to do with what generation you're from, but more with the age you are at that moment I think.

It's the same with the 'baby boomer' generation. It used to be the 'Flower Power' generation, then the name 'baby boomer' has been used for later generations too, etc. The same happens or will happen with the names 'Z', 'Y', etc.

The mentality change is not so much between such very very biased names as generation 'X', 'Y', 'Z', 'whatever'. But between the ages of people. And because everybody gets older with time, it is a 'sliding window' if you will.

Aka, there is a mentality difference between someone who is 16 and someone who is 36, regardless of what generation they're from. But as the 16 year old gets older, he/she will change in mentality towards a 36 year old too, eventhough they both are still from their respective same generation (that wont change)...

The internet and other advancing technology does have an effect on people, their lives, their way of thinking, etc...  but the general social and local cultural environment, friends, family, and the age itself have a far bigger impact than in what time period you've been born.

This post was edited on 03-13-2012 at 07:24 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-13-2012 11:56 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: