What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Skype » Skype Plus! Help » Virtual Camera cannot be installed

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Virtual Camera cannot be installed
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Virtual Camera cannot be installed
When I first select Apply Video Effects button on toolbar it displays a dialog "Messenger Plus! Camera needs to be installed for video effects? Do you want to enable it?" and I select Yes. But it is not installed. I cannot see that camera on Control Panel or Device Manager and cannot select it in the MP! for Skype Preferences window. I repaired and reinstalled several times but to no avail. I tried adding the camera from "Add an imaging device" window from Cameras and Scanners window of Control Panel and selected the MsgPlusDriver.inf file in the MsgPlusDriver folder under MP! for Skype installation folder but Windows displays "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Windows XP Pro SP3
Skype 5.8.0.158
MP! for Skype 1.02.0.96
03-28-2012 07:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Virtual Camera cannot be installed
Some questions:

1. Did installation start when you chose yes?
a. If yes, did you receive a success prompt when it was done and did the video effects pane appear?
b. If you go to video in Skype (Tools > Options >Video Settings) is the Plus! Virtual camera in the dropdown?

2. If installation did not start:
a. Did you get an error message?
b. Do you have admin priviledges on the account you installed on?

3. Do you have a physical webcam attached?
4. Were you on an account with admin rights when you installed the Virtual Camera from the toobar button? It needs those rights in order to be installed.

This post was edited on 03-29-2012 at 01:48 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-28-2012 09:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Same experience as ahmetgns.
XP Pro SP3
Latest Skype and Plus!Skype.
No webcam attached.

1. yes
A. Can't remember if I got the success or failed prompt.
Video-effects pane does appear and is useable, but only after getting the prompt that no webcam has been selected. The preview of the video-effects panel (right side of that panel) is not visible.
B. No. Dropdown is empty
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-28-2012 11:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
CookieRevised, the "no webcam has been selected" and the preview not being there sound normal to me when you do not have a physical webcam attached. How are you going to send video-effects if you do not have a real cam atached that gets the videostream to apply them on.

In order to find out if the installation problem may have to do with whether or not one actually has a webcam attached I will have to ask the following question to those experiencing this issue too:

(added to my first post of questions as well)

This post was edited on 03-28-2012 at 11:49 AM by Sunshine.
03-28-2012 11:45 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Don't dismiss it too quickly because I don't have a physical cam.

The first time I selected video-effects panel the 'virtual camera' dialog did appear. It also does not explain why, after installing the virtual camera there is nothing in the dropdown box. So, having a webcam or not is independant of this and/or does not entirly explain things.

Even not having a preview is not nessecairly because there is no physical camera attached. It might as well use that 'virtual camera' for preview.
There is nothing in Plus!Skype which explains what this 'virtual camera' actually is, what it is used for and why one should install it. There are also plenty of other programs which define a so called 'virtual camera' which you can perfectly use instead of a physical camera when you want to send video.

This post was edited on 03-28-2012 at 11:59 AM by CookieRevised.
03-28-2012 11:51 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Virtual Camera cannot be installed
1. Did installation start when you chose yes?
Yes
a. If yes, did you receive a success prompt when it was done and did the video effects pane appear?
Yes
b. If you go to video in Skype (Tools > Options >Video Settings) is the Plus! Virtual camera in the dropdown?
No

No

However why I expect to see that virtual camera in the dropdown list in Plus! preferences is because I see it in WLM's Audio and Video Setup window and also on Skype's Options>Video Settings window and it can be set as the camera used by those programs.

What I don't understand is also that although this virtual camera is not listed in Device Manager window, how it can be selected as the camera on both WLM and Skype Options.

But when I first see the word Virtual Camera I expect to use that to stream videos to my contact although I don't have a real cam attached.
03-29-2012 07:45 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: RE: Virtual Camera cannot be installed
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns

.....I see it in WLM's Audio and Video Setup window and also on Skype's Options>Video Settings window ....
On question number 1b you said you don't see it there...do you see it there or don't you? Some inconsistency here.

Ok, I need one more answer from both of you:
4. Were you on an account with admin rights when you installed the Virtual Camera from the toobar button? It needs those rights in order to be installed.

This post was edited on 03-29-2012 at 01:48 PM by Sunshine.
03-29-2012 01:31 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Virtual Camera cannot be installed
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
On question number 1b you said you don't see it there...do you see it there or don't you? Some inconsistency here.
I misread it as if you were asking if it is under the dropdown list of MP! FOR SKYPE's preferences window, that is what I replied as NO. My correct answer is partly YES now, partly because there isn't a drop down list in the Skype's Options window, the Virtual Camera is the only camera there and seems to be selected by default and it doesn't allow me to set it None or Disable.

And yes, I have admin privileges on the computer.

I plan to attach a real webcam to see what happens but no exact time I can give for that.
03-29-2012 03:14 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Sunshine, I have the exact same response as ahmetgns, incl. misread, answers on your questions, admin priviledges, expectations of what this Virtual Camera actually is, etc.
03-29-2012 03:26 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
If the answers to question 1, 1a and 1b are yes then the Virtual Camera is installed as should.

I do not have Messenger Plus! Virtual Camera in Plus! for Skype Preferences and not in Device Manager either. The only difference is that I do have a physical webcam attached and thus can see the preview.

I don't see how one could misread question 1b, it is clear I ask about Skype settings not Plus! ones....

Anyway, guys as I said the Virtual Camera is installed perfectly fine on your computers. For now the only thing you can do with it is set video effects on the stream from your physical webcam, so to profit from this option you will need a physical webcam at this time.
03-29-2012 04:01 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: