What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Messenger Plus (latest) & Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta)

Messenger Plus (latest) & Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta)
Author: Message:
NubCake

O.P. Messenger Plus (latest) & Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta)
Well, first of all, i have to say i love Messenger Plus, but it's not working as it should on Windows 8 Beta, the problem (that i dont find so annoying) is started already when you try to install Messenger Plus, some letters are missing, for example it types "Nex" instead of "Next" or "Clos" instead of "Close".
The other thing i find very annoying is that when you click "X" (close) on main messenger window, MSN will close itself (or kinda minimize), but theres no way to bring it up again (in the taskbar it doesnt show it), but if you look at Task Manager, you can see its still runing in Background Services, so you have to close it there and run Messenger again, if you dont close it, everything will be shown twice when you talk with someone.
Maybe there are some other bugs, but i would be happy if this would be fixed, so i can start to use Messenger Plus again :)

PS: I'm using latest Windows Live Messenger (version 15.4.3555.308).

Greetings

This post was edited on 03-31-2012 at 10:13 AM by NubCake.
03-31-2012 10:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus (latest) & Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta)
Software should never be written for BETA versions of operating systems or over software.

A new version will no doubt be tested and released when Windows 8 goes official. This is mainly because things are likely to change with the OS anyway. Big changes have already happened between the developer preview and the consumer preview (removal of the start button being one of them). There is also the fact the the Windows Live Messenger team may release a new version for Windows 8, meaning Messenger! Plus has to change again to accommodate the changes.

For all we know, WLM could be turned into a metro app and require a completely different way of hooking into it.

Obviously, making us aware of these problems is a good thing, but there is nothing that is likely to be done about it just yet.

All I can suggest (although it may lead to other unwanted behavior) is to try running WLM in compatibility mode for Windows 7. This is not something we normally recommend, but could possible allow you to continue using MP!. (Obviously, this is one of the reasons you should never use a non-release version of an OS as your primary OS).

If using compatibility mode works, by all means, let us know about it, but the problem (the window disappearing) appears to be with WLM not MP!.

Another solution for that might be to disable "Polygamy", (which should be shown in MP!'s settings under "Allow me to sign into more than one account" or something similar, and disable MPOP (Multiple Points of Presence) in WLM's settings.

This should only allow one instance of WLM to be running at a time and even if there were two instances open, signing in to one would sign the other one out, preventing the duplicated windows from showing.

EDIT: Just looked for the setting in WLM to disable MPOP and can't find it, but it should be called "Sign me out of all other places when I sign into Messenger" so see if you have that option. It should be on the Sign-in tab in the options

This post was edited on 03-31-2012 at 11:59 AM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-31-2012 11:58 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NubCake

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus (latest) & Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta)
You'r right, but the problem is not with WLM (about window dissapearing), cuz when i dont have Messenger Plus installed, it doesnt happen, so it has to be MP! problem (i guess?), ofcourse i wasnt asking for completly rewriten the MP! for Beta Windows, but maybe this is not hard to fix, obviously i have no idea if it is or not, but all im saying is that many people who uses MP! already uses Windows 8 (i'm probably not the only one) and many more will install it when Windows 8 RC comes out, all i was asking is, if there could be a simple fix to it.

I will test how it will work in compatibility mode with Windows 7 and report back.

EDIT: Runing the Messenger in Compatibility mode for Windows 7 solves the problem (= But i encounter another problem because of it, so i'm still crossing my fingers for a fix (if it's a quick one).

Greetings

This post was edited on 03-31-2012 at 02:30 PM by NubCake.
03-31-2012 02:13 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
I have the developer preview on my netbook still personally so I'll upgrade and start experimenting with it to see what we can do. I was also referring more to the fact that we could fix it with code, but then they change Windows 8 so it works properly again and then we'd have to remove the code :p Gets kind of tricky to keep reworking stuff.
The text does indeed get cut off, but that will be a translation/layout issue.

The WLM icon appears correctly on my taskbar both with and without pinning it.

I'm using build 8250 of Win8 Consumer Preview and I'm assuming you would be too. Maybe a restart or reinstall of WLM would solve it? I'm not 100% sure what's causing it now to be honest. It could even be a conflict with some other software on your PC
03-31-2012 03:03 PM
NubCake

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus (latest) & Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta)
Hmm, i'm using MSN Discovery along with Messenger Plus, maybe that's the problem, i will try it and report back, actually i'm using MSN Discovery only because of some functions, like -> Dont Steal My Emotions and those (=
04-01-2012 05:30 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NubCake
Hmm, i'm using MSN Discovery along with Messenger Plus, maybe that's the problem, i will try it and report back, actually i'm using MSN Discovery only because of some functions, like -> Dont Steal My Emotions and those (=

Tried testing with MD, but it didn't show up in WLM so I'll give it another shot a bit later on
04-01-2012 10:02 PM
NubCake

O.P. RE: RE: Messenger Plus (latest) & Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta)
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:
Originally posted by NubCake

Tried testing with MD, but it didn't show up in WLM so I'll give it another shot a bit later on

I experiencing that problem, when i was runing WLM in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (= If i run it normally, it will show up, but then the "close" problem happens :P

This post was edited on 04-01-2012 at 10:41 PM by NubCake.
04-01-2012 10:39 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: