What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..."

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..."
Author: Message:
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..."
Yeah..I've seen a truck of reports of forced upgrades. I don't like 2011 at all :/
06-20-2012 07:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Ayreos

This is unacceptable... Not only the WLM 2011 layout is a disgusting attempt at making it work like facebook, but many Plus features were rendered useless by it. I can't change my name to look like it did before, for instance. And i'm not talking about making it look like some decadent work of art, but i don't have the simple of choice of not inputting a "surname". Needless to say, name changing plugins don't work.
In fact, i installed Plus because i hoped it would get me past such limitation, but alas, it doesn't seem to be so.
Go to hell, Microsoft.

This post was edited on 06-20-2012 at 10:13 AM by Ayreos.
06-20-2012 10:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Jonathan Kay (TReKiE) posted a tool to prevent Live Messenger 2009 from automatically updating to 2011: Use Messenger Reviver to bypass the Windows Live Messenger 2009 forced upgrade. Full instructions on how to use it are listed there too. If this doesn't work, setting Messenger to Windows XP compatibility mode is still worth a shot too. But, I would first try Messenger Reviver without any compatibility mode to prevent other problems.

If you already updated to WLM 2011 and you need to re-download 2009:
First uninstall WLM 2011 (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Live Essentials). The you can download the full installer of the last known WLM 2009 version on http://rnd.menthix.net/windows_live/Windows_Live_..._-_Wave_3_-_QFE_3/ (Click your preferred language and download wlsetup-all.exe). Remember to run Messenger Reviver directly after installing WLM 2009.

The download link Cookie provided should work too, but if you use the site to choose another language it tends to detect your OS and redirect you to a 2011 download. The offline installers archive makes finding the right file a bit easier.

This post was edited on 06-23-2012 at 03:28 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-20-2012 03:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
missdisplaynames

RE: RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..."
quote:
Originally posted by xho
This morning I woke up to my MSN asking if I would want to install the new version (2011). There is no way around this that I know of. Microsoft has forced an update on wlm 2009 users on win7

To those here who wish to compain to them about this 'forced upgrade' and also about the bring back of display names (my reason for hating the new one) go to the official Windows feedback page!

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger
06-20-2012 08:59 PM
msgplusliver

Disable the mandatory update with an old trick: http://www.forumvancouver.com/threads/windows-liv...09.531/#post-11550
06-22-2012 04:10 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..."
quote:
Originally posted by msgplusliver
Disable the mandatory update with an old trick: http://www.forumvancouver.com/threads/windows-liv...09.531/#post-11550

Note that this will stop MsgPlus 4.9 and earlier from working (I don't know about version 5 onwards). The fix in the link provided by Menthix doen't have this limitation.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
06-22-2012 04:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
deyapretty

O.P. RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..."
Menthix's solution works very well!

thanks a lot! :D
06-23-2012 02:36 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..."
quote:
Originally posted by Andrea Borman

Yes there is a way round it. You just set Windows Live Messenger 2009 to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP. And you will find it will work on Windows 7 and all other versions of windows. It works for me. Andrea Borman.

Menthix already posted a much better solution for keeping WLM 2009 earlier in this thread.

Also please note that double posting is against the forum rules :)
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
07-29-2012 08:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: