What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Skype » Skype Plus! Help » Computer Shutdown Before Recording Saved is Temp File Available?

Computer Shutdown Before Recording Saved is Temp File Available?
Author: Message:
MsgPlusDM

O.P. Computer Shutdown Before Recording Saved is Temp File Available?
My computer lost power before the video recording of my Skype conversation with my family wishing me a happy father's day could be saved.

Where is the temp file stored that is made while the recording is in progress?  Is there a way to recover the video from that temp file?
06-17-2012 11:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Computer Shutdown Before Recording Saved is Temp File Available?
Crash while recording
06-18-2012 05:45 PM
MsgPlusDM

O.P. RE: Computer Shutdown Before Recording Saved is Temp File Available?
quote:
Originally posted by MsgPlusDM

Where is the temp file stored that is made while the recording is in progress? 

Well, I unfortunately found out the answer to this question myself.... I got another Skype call, and after the call I opened Process Monitor (procmon.exe) from SysInternals and found that the temp file was located here:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\SkypePlus

Unfortunately for me, SkypePlus cleans up after itself, deleting any previous files from that location.

The actual process name that does the encoding (for those of you wondering) is "ffmpeg.exe".  That's what you'd filter for in procmon if you want to zero in on the process / files in question.

It takes a file called video.wmv and encodes it into a file called FinalVideo.avi before it ultimately moves the completed file to whatever you designated as your output folder.

It should be noted that it DOES NOT use your final folder at all until it is done, so wherever your app data local folder happens to be (i.e. on your C: drive, and that drive is low on space, directing MSGPlus to store videos on some other drive doesn't stop it from consuming all that space while recording).

The temp files: both the raw recording file (the wmv) and the encoded file (the avi) end up temporarily while the encoding is taking place.

Bottom line: had I known this information BEFORE I got my last call maybe I could have saved the .wmv by navigating to the folder before the next session.  As it is now, the file is likely lost forever.
06-20-2012 12:53 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: