What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Home page changed even though I did not opt for it

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Home page changed even though I did not opt for it
Author: Message:
NMe

40 / Male / Flag
O.P. Home page changed even though I did not opt for it
A few days ago, Plus updated to a new version. Now, let me start off by saying that I always take the greatest care not to check any of the dozens of checkboxes for your sponsors. I would gladly pay for Plus or simply donate, but I really, really do not want any crapware on my clean system.

With that out of the way: I updated and had none of the sponsor boxes checked. Yet, Plus still set my browser's start page to http://www.plusnetwork.com/?sp=blatbf&t=a0731. And not just my main browser. All of the browsers I have installed for testing purposes as a web development were "infected". Now I'm wondering: what other junk just got installed without my knowledge? How can I still trust this piece of software?
08-02-2012 10:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it
Thanks for your report.  We have not heard of other instances since the last version of the website being automatically switched to Plus! Network without your permission.   To switch back to your original home page, please follow the instructions here: http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

08-02-2012 11:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
To switch back to your original home page, please follow the instructions here: http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html
This simply screams "while we are not ready to take responsibility for this happening because we cannot program properly but here is how to fix it."
08-02-2012 12:14 PM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
RE: RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it
quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:
To switch back to your original home page, please follow the instructions here: http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html
This simply screams "while we are not ready to take responsibility for this happening because we cannot program properly but here is how to fix it."

Matty, do you know of more instances that  this occurred?  If so,  you know perfectly well how to reach us.  If many people raise the same issue, we can attempt to reproduce the "bug" and program a fix, but this appears to be a one-off.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

08-02-2012 12:30 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
You're already aware of the toolbar doing dodgy things How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?.

The fact that "you haven't heard of this happening" but yet you have a method of fixing it is a contradicting statement.

What happened to the "offline installers" we were promised? Another request that has fallen by the waist side.  You guys (not you particularly) have taken an industry leading application and turned it into a joke. The group of people working on this have had more issues than 1 man did. How is this even possible?

This post was edited on 08-02-2012 at 12:57 PM by matty.
08-02-2012 12:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
If many people raise the same issue, we can attempt to reproduce the "bug" and program a fix, but this appears to be a one-off.
How hard would it be to debug something like that???????

If Checked Then install
If Not Checked Then don't install...

If it is any more complicated than that, then the whole thing should be reviewed as it should be that simple.... something like that should not contain some 'special cases' or whatever.

If people opt out, they opt out. period....

I'm with matty on this for 200%, and fully agree with the points he made in his post.....

This post was edited on 08-02-2012 at 01:17 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-02-2012 01:15 PM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
Matty, this thread is about "home page changed even I didn't opt for it". 

We do not have a method of fixing a "bug" that cannot be reproduced! If you see there is a problem during your installation regarding Plus! Network, please let me know what browser you are using and send me additional information that can help.   

The checkboxes are transparent and if there is a problem with the current version,   I would appreciate your help to show of other cases in this version so that if does exist, as you insinuate, it can be investigated.     

Thanks

Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

08-02-2012 01:30 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
The point of linking to the other thread is to show you that while you all claim there are no problems with the installer and these are "one off scenarios" are to prove that you are indeed incorrect. A one off scenario means there is a bug in your software.

Also the fact that you have to uncheck EVERY single box for the sponsor is very poor design. Opting out of the sponsor should deselect all boxes... the method you chose is very devious.

How about the source code for the installer is released. I am sure some of us here would love to have a look at it.

This post was edited on 08-02-2012 at 03:48 PM by matty.
08-02-2012 03:47 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Also the fact that you have to uncheck EVERY single box for the sponsor is very poor design. Opting out of the sponsor should deselect all boxes... the method you chose is very devious.

This is why I posted the installer checkboxes as a bug in my report, because users expect to untick one and have them all deselected (which is what I'm assuming actually happened here).

I can understand the reason for wanting a liaison between the community and Yuna, but we need people that work on the code to also communicate. That way we can have technical explanations that the majority of the remaining members can understand and relay in a more user friendly manner.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-02-2012 06:22 PM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
RE: RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it
quote:

The ability to uncheck/check boxes individually gives users the ability to choose the combination of promotions that they want.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

08-05-2012 12:52 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: