What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Home page changed even though I did not opt for it

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Home page changed even though I did not opt for it
Author: Message:
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
quote:
Originally posted by matty

Also the fact that you have to uncheck EVERY single box for the sponsor is very poor design. Opting out of the sponsor should deselect all boxes... the method you chose is very devious.

The ability to uncheck/check boxes individually gives users the ability to choose the combination of promotions that they want.

But that is not how most other programs work, it is not doing as EXPECTED of it and is therefore bad practice.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-05-2012 01:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
quote:

Also the fact that you have to uncheck EVERY single box for the sponsor is very poor design. Opting out of the sponsor should deselect all boxes... the method you chose is very devious.

The ability to uncheck/check boxes individually gives users the ability to choose the combination of promotions that they want.
Yes, but the point is that when people opt OUT of "Install Messenger Plus! Smartbar" they also expect to be opted out of all the other promotions due to how the screen is designed.

To put it in another way: if you unselect "Install Messenger Plus! Smartbar", all the other promotional choices should be unselected too!!!

The reason for this is that "make Plus! web search my default search" and "make Plus! web search my homepage" are both options which are shown indented to "Install Messenger Plus! Smartbar", implying they are SUBoptions. Which means (should mean) when you deselect the main option, all suboptions should be deselected too.

Thus, with your own words: The ability to uncheck/check boxes individually gives users the ability to choose the combination of promotions that they want ONLY IF THEY HAVE ENABLED THE MAIN OPTION.

So either your design is seriously flawed, or either the checkbox routines are seriously bugged. Either way, something needs to be fixed.

-------------

PS: Also spreading multiple promotional sponsors around different pages is not really a good thing (Coupish promotions on the second screen, the rest on the third).... even if it is clearly visible though... it goes against any intuitive design.

This post was edited on 08-05-2012 at 06:52 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-05-2012 01:49 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
[rant]

Kurt... you're well aware that at this point your lengthy explanations are simply going to "fall on deaths ears". They do what they want, when they want and how they want without considering the consequences.

I've devoted almost 10 years and it is such a shame to see how the owners of Yuna Software have run it into the ground. Yes you have a business to run and maintain and need to make back the millions of dollars you spent but a business modal like this where you're "tricking" your customers will not last long and this massive investment will be all for nothing and you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.

Your tactics, ethics and broken promises have caused this thriving community to become a ghost town. You no longer have the support of many. I'd like to see Plus! succeed but it will not under the current leadership. You're an advertising company you have no experience in this market and need to listen to those that have been here through thick and thin or risk losing everything.

[/rant]

This post was edited on 08-07-2012 at 11:58 AM by matty.
08-05-2012 08:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Kurt... you're well aware that at this point your lengthy explanations are simply going to "fall on deaths ears".
There is always hope....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-06-2012 07:34 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Bump.

I'd certainly like to hear more... alas this may not be the case.
08-10-2012 12:03 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
We all know how often Yuna likes to own up to their mistakes and shortcomings.

[Image: image.png]

This post was edited on 08-10-2012 at 02:44 PM by MeEtc.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
08-10-2012 02:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Justzen

Hi, I just encountered this exact problem.
I checked and double chekced to make sure all sponsor deals will not be installed having choosing not to give my "permission" for it.

All the check boxes were appropriately marked, but I still did have all my browsers swapped to your friendly Messenger plus! ones.

Earlier I was contemplating if it was worth installing this piece of software, but I didn't expect to be disappointed as I was years ago when I discovered the dodgy software included.

What's new?
08-12-2012 12:12 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
This has been happening to me since i installed plus for skype just the other day. It doesn't seem to be a bug either, infact it seems to be done on purpose.

Very dodgy.

This post was edited on 11-12-2012 at 06:10 AM by Discrate.
11-12-2012 06:06 AM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
The homepage shouldn't be changed without the user's permssion.  Please uninstall and then reinstall the software.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

11-12-2012 10:10 AM
DeathsAngel

37 / Male / –
On top of changing my home webpage even though I did not check the box, you also put a couple of crap shortcuts on my Desktop.

And also, sometimes to times a random webpage opens now. That's really great from you to install shitty stuff without user consent. I have uninstall MsgPlus and will never use that in the future.
12-09-2012 06:25 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: