What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
So much oldies in here :)

Posting in "MSN/Windows (Live) Messenger ", we went through quite a few changes. But this time it really is the end of an era :(. Messenger users have gone down for quite a while, forums posts were already near extinct, and I haven't used Microsoft's client for some time. By all means Messenger was already dying, but Microsoft pulling the plug makes it official.

So much happened through good old MSN. From all the late night IM conversations with people I already knew, to getting into customizing the client, discovering Plus!, Mess.be, MSN Fanatic, and the people behind it. Got to know a lot of new people along the way and happy to still be in contact with some of them outside of the Messenger-related world. And also still refusing to let the shoutbox die.

(M) :plus: :banana:

hear hear
(B)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-08-2012 08:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype?
It was a fun ride while it lasted :cry:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
11-10-2012 03:04 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I wish Patchou would come by and say a last goodbye :)
11-11-2012 10:09 AM
OKI

from what i read they are migrating skype to the live system, not the other way around.

worrying decision :/

hoping for the return of the most usefull feature ever, which is the flashing scroll lock led notification script.
i dont know if it will ever return but that would be the icing on my cake, i want to rig it up to some case lights etc etc ><

This post was edited on 11-14-2012 at 04:02 AM by OKI.
11-14-2012 03:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kittyangel

– / Female / Flag
I wish features like custom emoticons will at least get integrated to the new Skype.
11-14-2012 06:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
OKI

im kinda confused about hwere thaey are going with this.

loads of people talking about messenger being replaced by skype.
but on the skype website it ststes that skype is being transfered to the live system :s

why the hell,,skype works, and well.
messenger has never worked well since it changed to live.

another bad decision by MS?
11-14-2012 08:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by OKI
im kinda confused about hwere thaey are going with this.

loads of people talking about messenger being replaced by skype.
but on the skype website it ststes that skype is being transfered to the live system :s
From what I understand those "loads of people" are correct: WLM is going to be replaced by Skype.

One more proof of that is that MS had already announced that the development of WLM will stop in the first quarter of 2013, except for the Chinese version.

What is stated/meant on the Skype Website is that the Skype protocol and WLM protocol are going to be merged (kind-of).

quote:
Originally posted by OKI
why the hell,,skype works, and well.
messenger has never worked well since it changed to live.

another bad decision by MS?
That's stretching it a bit too far imho. For example, since WLM went "Live" it has worked far better for me on various systems than before it went "Live".

Dunno if it is a bad decision either. The usergroup of WLM is rapidly decreasing (in favor of facebook, and other similar stuff). So integrating it into another existing and succesfull social media type (which is still growing by 40% each year) is maybe a very good decision if you take in account the massive amount of costs to maintain a totally seperate product trying to beat the opposition. Skype also has a payable business part. WLM has nothing of that kind, so its (scares) revenue must come from ads etc... (though, Skype has ads too and will probably have more ads in the futur).

But that said, Microsoft owns Skype since 2011. So from that point of view it would even be stupid not to merge the two very similar products.

How it is going to be merged and what you'll be able to do with it and if it will work properly is a whole other ballgame. lol...

This post was edited on 11-15-2012 at 10:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-15-2012 09:52 PM
traxor

traxor_v2

Let’s face it, Cyril made a fantastic decision to sell Messenger Plus! to Yuna Software when he did. I think he could see that the number of users was declining and decided to pull out at the right time.

With the rise of iMessage, G!Talk, Twitter, Facebook and Skype it’s making Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! all but redundant. The novelty of making your username have a colour doesn’t exist and is just downright irritating.

I think it’d be daft of Yuna Software to continue to develop the application much longer – it doesn’t seem viable. They’ll run it into the ground and end up with nothing unless they close up shop and start working on a new product. Let’s face it, who are they competing with now?

Don’t get me wrong I’m really sad to see what is happened / happening. This forum was a huge part of my life for the best part of 5 years and without it I wouldn’t be where I am today so I’m really sad to be saying all of this, but it’s time for everyone to just call it quits and move on isn’t it?
11-19-2012 02:17 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Talk2Luke
it’s time for everyone to just call it quits and move on isn’t it?
[Image: noooo_birds.jpg]
11-19-2012 03:16 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
Well, I'm certainly late to the party...

I haven't personally been active here for way more than a year, but even then I wasn't planning to rid myself of my Messenger account - even though that has died out for me.

Now my accounts are merged and in a sense, I guess Messenger will always live on. Both in the best logs I've even gotten out of an IM service... thanks to Plus!, and as the few contacts still alive on Messenger that has been merged into Skype.

I'll always have fond memories of this forum - this community - and I'm forever glad that even though the Messenger Plus! IRC changed name (which is quite logical), the people and the community is always going to somehow "be there".
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
11-21-2012 09:55 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: