What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Skype » Skype Plus! General » Request: import and merge chatlogs from WLM-->Skype

Request: import and merge chatlogs from WLM-->Skype
Author: Message:
Eminence

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. Request: import and merge chatlogs from WLM-->Skype
Until end of Q1/2013 we all migrated to Skype or leaved the merged network.

So what can we do with our chatlogs we saved for years?
It would be great to import it from the MsgPlus!-WLM to the new MsgPlus!-Skype chatviewer.

Reading is possible, but there are more and better options in the Plus!-WLM as in the Plus!-Skype regarding storing sorted after date/contacts.

For me I prefer the save log for contacts, so all messages from one contact are in one place. I don't have to go every in monthly folder when I want to move (or anything else) the files from one conversation.

Would be great to get it in Plus!-Skype back.

Best regards
Eminence
11-11-2012 08:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
SteenG

RE: Request: import and merge chatlogs from WLM-->Skype
At the moment situation is even worse. Cross chatting is not logged, so when ever you have a chat in Skype with somebody still in msn you only have the conversation on screen in Skype.

Meaning I have at the moment gone back to run msn and Skype separated from each other.

Well I had another reason for this. Messages arriving when my phone was on never showed up on my laptop. So I ended up having conversations split on more than one device. But I think this is a Skype issue they probably will have a hard time to try to fix in connection with offline messaging.

This post was edited on 01-28-2013 at 07:43 AM by SteenG.
01-28-2013 07:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SteenG
Cross chatting is not logged, so when ever you have a chat in Skype with somebody still in msn you only have the conversation on screen in Skype.
See Chat sessions aren't saved - [Chat Logging], please continue the discussion about that issue there.

This post was edited on 01-28-2013 at 02:34 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-28-2013 02:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
OrionsToy

I have found you can view the old logs in the plus's skype chat log viewer.. you just have to click on browse for more ...

The thing I find to my dismay is there is no more option to encrypt logs. Is this something they will be adding in the future? ... it is an important feature that has been left out (for those who want to keep logs but share their computer and don't want a roommate, spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend or siblings/sons/daughters to be able to read their messages)

Strangely enough, if you open an old log that was encrypted .(ple) the plus skype chat log viewer will decrypt it and view it yet theres no option to encrypt new logs created by skype. Log encryption needs to be reimplemented in Plus! for Skype.

For those of you that want to merge your logs its pretty simple... Just go to your documents folder and look for Messenger Plus! copy the My Chat Logs folder in that directory into the Messenger Plus! for Skype  folder. Then you will see all the chat messages from the old messenger when you open your log viewer in skype. Note** if you have logs from an older messenger you may also have to copy the files from My Documents/My Chat Logs into the Messenger Plus! for Skype/My Chat Logs and merge entries also.

Hope this helps ... and I hope to see encrypted logs available in Plus for Skype soon.

This post was edited on 02-16-2013 at 05:27 PM by OrionsToy.
02-16-2013 05:16 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by OrionsToy
I have found you can view the old logs in the plus's skype chat log viewer.. you just have to click on browse for more ...
Congratz on discovering the very obvious.

quote:
Strangely enough, if you open an old log that was encrypted .(ple) the plus skype chat log viewer will decrypt it and view it yet theres no option to encrypt new logs created by skype.
Why is that strange????
The Log Viewer has always been able to decrypt and view logs. See the threads about the Log Viewer and its command line parameters among others.
eg: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs

It would be strange if you could not use the Log Viewer to view old logs.

There are tons and tons of info regarding the Log Viewer on these forums, accumulated over the years.

Only, people simply don't search anymore and the common IT/PC knowledge is degrading fast in these days of Facebook and crap Metro style UIs.
Proof of that are the gazllion threads lately with only a few posts, asking for info about topics which have been covered plenty and in great detail over the past years, or are so obvious an infant would be able to deal with it.
This forum is simply gone to shit and will soon be nothing more than a dustbin of spam, one-time users, and questions like how much is 1+1...

Case in point:
quote:
For those of you that want to merge your logs its pretty simple... Just go to your documents folder and look for Messenger Plus! copy the My Chat Logs folder in that directory into the Messenger Plus! for Skype  folder. Then you will see all the chat messages from the old messenger when you open your log viewer in skype. Note** if you have logs from an older messenger you may also have to copy the files from My Documents/My Chat Logs into the Messenger Plus! for Skype/My Chat Logs and merge entries also.
Also said before already.
The logs are all in the same format, so it is quite logical that the Log Viewer (which is just a seperate, standalone viewer) can view older logs too. All you have to do is indeed "open those older logs in the Log Viewer" (or indeed copy them to the currently used log folder, whatever it is), not exactly rocket science if you ask me.
(but hey, who knows the meaning of a small yellow folder image in a tree list these days..... or what an 'icon' is for that matter (other than some smiley face to express a feeling)...

PS: only last month I answered the exact same question as the OP asked:
Transition WLM -> Skype

[/rant]

This post was edited on 02-17-2013 at 08:48 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-16-2013 06:08 PM
OrionsToy

I know ... I know.... DON'T FEED THE TROLLS but ... what the hell .. maybe just once...

Congrats on being a total imbecile :D

I found this post by doing a search ... I posted what I did as a reply to this post and this post alone.

I offered help to those who happened to do a search and find "this post" as well as asking a small question about if they were planning on implementing log encryption into plus for skype.

now .... I noticed you decided to attack my post because I offered a bit of help but you didn't bother to answer MY question ... maybe you should spend less time attacking someone trying to help .. maybe that's why this forum is going to shit as you say.

Not everyone is a computer wizard ... believe me ... I have been doing technical support for 15 years. Within 2 months I had already realized that even intelligent people can be totally computer illiterate. I dealt with a doctor who believed that if he held a piece of paper up to his monitor he could fax it... of course you can tell that was a while ago .. faxes are pretty much dead by now.. but still you can't expect everyone knows how to use a search engine properly.

I know how to use proper key words to find things in the knowledge bases... I did it for a living... but I find others have no idea what words to use so their searches yield completely different results.

Truth is ... most 'kids' are great with computer ... most adults .... well they are pretty much 'children' when it comes to computers. I found with my clients, I need to lead them by the hand ... step by step... never assuming that they understand anything they are doing. Most of what I do, to me, seems like total common sense and tediously easy yet I'm always praised by my clients as if I was some sort of genius. 

Once you realize that everyone might not be as "smart" as you are when it comes to computers (and I AM limiting the word "smart" to your intelligence of computers only) .. you will probably be able to help someone on this forum.. but until then .. maybe you should work on your maturity a bit more since you are coming across as someone who has the mental equivalence of a 5 year old.

I just tried to help and was attacked for it.

You didn't bother to do anything but show that you are a total elitist who believes that everyone should know the computer as well as you and that type of thinking doesn't  belong on any forum at all!!!

Crawl back under your bridge troll and leave the forum to those who are still willing to help.

If you can't post something helpful .... DONT POST ANYTHING AT ALL

This will be my last post on this subject so if the reality annoys you... take a deep breath, sit in the corner and take a time out. Any further childish temper tantrums will be ignored.
02-18-2013 06:00 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
@OrionsToy: Cookie is not a troll. You can simply look at the post count, reputation, tester and translator badges, and registration date to see this.

As Cookie said, the information can be found by searching. There are numerous threads with information like this.

No, he wasn't super polite in how he said it, but when none of us are getting paid to repeatedly answer the same questions and the product is going to hell anyway, I don't see why any of us should have to be.

I am personally recommending, that as long as this bullshit is going on with the installer, no one should be using MsgPlus!.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
02-19-2013 09:47 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
@OrionsToy: I apologize for not being very polite and rather sarcastic in my previous post but the reason for posting it is exactly as Spunky said.

And I still stand by everything I said...
A few years ago, there were also many non-computer wizards, yet most managed to search before posting. Something which is apparently not done anymore (and you don't need to be smart to be able to search the basics), according to the recent number of similar threads, same questions and what not....

This post was edited on 02-19-2013 at 10:41 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-19-2013 10:30 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: