What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Uniting Skype and Windows Live Messenger: Implications on Messenger Plus!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Uniting Skype and Windows Live Messenger: Implications on Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
O.P. Uniting Skype and Windows Live Messenger: Implications on Messenger Plus!
With the latest Skype release, numbered 6.0, Microsoft has enabled a login using an existing Messenger account (i.e. passport, Hotmail or Outlook) credentials. Those choosing to sign into Skype using their Microsoft account will have the option to unite their accounts, as detailed online by Microsoft.

United contact list

This ‘merge’ aims to help users avoid having to maintain two separate contact lists. Those who go this route will see a combined list of friends. Note that this process requires users to login with an existing Skype account or open a new Skype account for this purpose.
According to Microsoft, by signing in with a Windows ID, users can send and receive IMs and see presence information from those using Live Messenger, Hotmail or Outlook.com.

Plus! support for Skype 6.0
As we previously announced here, Messenger Plus! (for Skype) fully supports Skype 6.0 and maintains all its functions and services regardless of the merge process described above; contacts imported from the
Live Messenger into the Skype contact list can be reached using text or video chats, as before.

Microsoft communication protocol differences

Due to communication protocol differences between Skype and Live Messenger, some collaboration features between the two are limited or unavailable, such as file-sending or screen-sharing.
Consequently, this also affects some of the features of Messenger Plus! (for Skype): For example,  when Skype users communicate directly with a Messenger contact from the Skype interface, certain features such as Winks, Sounds and Video effects fail to appear or function directly in the Messenger Chat window. Instead, they will pop-up in the user’s Skype account window (if the user is logged into Skype). This converged experience is a result of mixed technologies and concepts.

Plus! increasing the pace
Although combining the services of these products is derived by the quality  of the integration that Microsoft will provide, we are investing considerable efforts over the following weeks and months to improve the functionality of Messenger Plus! for both products, in order to bring you an enhanced and  fun Instant Messaging experience. 

We’ll keep you posted on the developments.   
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

11-15-2012 03:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Uniting Skype and Windows Live Messenger: Implications on Messenger Plus!
With all do respect the optimism I have for Plus! for Skype as it tries to move into a new space is very bleak. I do not foresee a new version being produced as feature rich as the current Plus! for Windows Live Messenger.

Plus! for Messenger was sleek, simplistic and most of all user friendly. The scrollable "hooked" tool-bar containing access to the Plus! functionality is atrocious and looks like it was designed by a developer who was just learning to code. Instead of providing access to all features hook a simple Plus! icon that when clicked provides a popup menu to access the features. I don't mean modifying the interface as I know this isn't allowed under the developers API but instead make a boarderless window that looks like it is an extension of Skype itself. There is a lot that can be done. Instead of porting features over make sure you have a usable product. Video recording has never worked on my netbook. This is also another reason why you need to figure a new way to display your content. We are in a world where real estate on your desktop is given up for portability.

In its current state I don't feel that this product will bring you the vast user base you once had with Messenger Plus!.
11-15-2012 08:23 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
For example,  when Skype users communicate directly with a Messenger contact from the Skype interface, certain features such as Winks, Sounds and Video effects fail to appear or function directly in the Messenger Chat window. Instead, they will pop-up in the user’s Skype account window (if the user is logged into Skype). This converged experience is a result of mixed technologies and concepts.
No way to have them work with each other?
11-15-2012 09:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Uniting Skype and Windows Live Messenger: Implications on Messenger Plus!
Thank for feedback.  Matty, thanks for pointing out that the interface of Skype itself can't be touched due to Skype's regulations.  The developers will work the best they can within the limitations.  Have a good weekend!
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

11-16-2012 10:44 AM
tabbtabb

29 / Female / Flag
Perhaps have 2 different 'versions' (options?) of Messenger Plus! run for Skype merging with Windows Live Contacts?
For example if the contact is saw as a 'Windows Live Contact' you are given separate options (runs separate code). I noticed when messing around with SkypeAPI that the users are found as ' :echo123: ' instead of the common ' echo123 '. Microsoft definitely hasn't made it easy for you guys! I love your product and it most definitely has made it easier to talk with my loved ones. Hope for the best! Good luck guys!
Do~Do~Do~
01-14-2013 06:26 PM
ZOiD
Skinning Contest Winner

Q es esto???

37 / Male / Flag
Hi! I just have  a little question :), the Plus! will skinning????

for skype  i mean...
thx!!!
[Image: crysta12.png]

01-22-2013 01:27 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ZOiD
Hi! I just have  a little question :), the Plus! will skinning???
No. Addons for Skype are not allowed to change the interface at all. That's also why there's no button for Plus on Skype, the toolbar gets added instead.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
01-23-2013 02:45 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Uniting Skype and Windows Live Messenger: Implications on Messenger Plus!
We have skins for the add-on itself.  MeEtc. is right - Skype doesn't allow changes to its main interface.  But we don't know if there will be any changes in the policy in the future.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

01-23-2013 10:00 AM
warp9pnt9

– / – / Flag
Skype has a track record of being very closed-minded about 3rd party developers using their software or even their protocol.  I do not foresee this ever changing.  I am sorry to see the Messenger protocol going away, and with it MsgPlus!.  For now, I'll stick with Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk, both of which have a somewhat more friendly relation with developers and especially open source developers.  This has led to a very rich and diverse client and user base, and software with no idiotic advertisements in them.  In the past, A-Patch and MsgPlus! were a nice enough solution among closed-source options.  The past is gone, Messenger is dead, there's nothing I can do about it but move on.  Any other opinion about Skype and MsgPlus! being a replacement is a delusion.  Sorry, and with all due respect to the developers, but that is the honest truth.
02-22-2013 10:26 PM
ikomi

– / Female / Flag
Hi, I have been using WLM with Plus! for many years - but I can see now I have to exchane it for Skype. I love some of the original features and I would like to ask if you are planning to add the following to the Plus for Skype: 1) customized audio sounds (added by me), 2) instant audio messages (short messages recorded by me) 3) the possibility of downloading more winks.

The first two items are vital for me and if the answer is "yes" I will not have to look for another IM.

Thank you very much in advance,
03-18-2013 02:17 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: