What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » HELP!!! Can't open old chat logs

HELP!!! Can't open old chat logs
Author: Message:
Namnlos

O.P. HELP!!! Can't open old chat logs
I had several chat logs saved on my computer which I lost by deleting them. I made a recovery to get these files back and I successfully did. The only problem is that I can only open one of these files. When clicking on the file to try to open it with Log Viewer , Windows and Log viewer can’t open the file. It loads for a while and then I have to browse a new file and try again. And this goes on like this. How can I solve this? How can I open my files? I still remember my password. The one file I’m able to open is also locked but I open it with the old password.  I've tried with different version of MSN and PLUS.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >.<

I saw someone showing this pic in another thread and its the same for me..

.png File Attachment: 27150580.png (37.3 KB)
This file has been downloaded 198 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-19-2013 at 10:58 AM by Namnlos.
01-19-2013 10:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
AntiRafidah

RE: HELP!!! Can't open old chat logs
Im having the same problem!!!!
Somebody please help?
01-21-2013 04:13 PM
AntiRafidah

anyone? Is there any solution for this? My restored logs have expired certificates, could this be the cause and how can it be fixed?
01-25-2013 08:45 AM
Namnlos

O.P. RE: HELP!!! Can't open old chat logs
Neeeeeed help! its urgent!!
01-25-2013 10:17 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Namnlos
I saw someone showing this pic in another thread and its the same for me..
I suggest you follow the advise given in that thread.

You get such a message from Windows because there is something wrong with the file extension associations (maybe a result of your 'recovery' action). As such, the easiest thing to fix this is to reinstall Messenger Plus!

All as said in that thread where you found that screenshot.

;-)

quote:
Originally posted by AntiRafidah
anyone? Is there any solution for this? My restored logs have expired certificates, could this be the cause and how can it be fixed?
Logs do not have certificates. Logs are just data files. As such, it is not possible to attach a certificate to a log file.
Even so, certificates don't have anything to do with this.

This post was edited on 01-28-2013 at 08:33 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-28-2013 08:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
Thanks CookieRevised!
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

01-28-2013 10:52 AM
AntiRafidah

I tried every possible way to open up these logs, resintalling Messenger plus, trying to open them on another computer etc, its always the same problem, and as for the certificates, I actually meant digital signatures, but maybe its the same thing?

if you want, i could send you the logs and you can try open them?
I really appreciate ur help, thank you very much!

[Image: 2a0f5ap.jpg]

[Image: 30vlt20.png]

Admin edit: removed size tags

This post was edited on 01-29-2013 at 01:17 PM by Menthix.
01-29-2013 06:46 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I don't understand how a .ple (encrypted log file) could end up having a digital signature. Like cookie said, that shouldn't happen. What does it say if in that first screenshot you click that 'Microsoft Windows ...' line and select Details?
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-29-2013 07:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I think the big culprint here is that he has 'restored' the files.

I have a very big feeling he used some sort of undelete tool (of which there are 13 in a dozen... all claiming to be gold, but mostly crap) and that those logs are actually not logs at all, but bits of executables or other files which can have certificates. It would explain everything....

-----

AntiRafidah,

Your problem is different than Namnlos'. That is: both of you have file extension associating problems (see my previous post... reinstalling Plus! will fix that). But AntiRafidah, you have one more, much worse problem which most likely can not be solved.

You need to know that the Windows properties dialog does not depend on the file extension (in this case ".ple") but actually reads the file content to display information.

Now, if my guess is correct, your logs are long gone because the actual content on your HDD of those logs was overwritten with other newer files when the logs got deleted. The 'restore' program simply re-assigned the once occupied clusters to that previsouly removed filename.... That is because restore programs never restore the actual content of files, but rather simply re-assign the once occupied clusters (which contained the actual content of those removed files) to the filename again in the file system table.
This is a very common thing to happen and/or misunderstood when people use 'restore' or 'undelete' programs without the proper know-how and in the promise that they can restore everything.

Thus, AntiRafidah. I'm afraid your logs are not logs at all but instead reminenses of other executable files. So what you have 'restored' are other files but with the filename of an old logfile.

So that's the reason why the Log Viewer can't open them; they are not logs at all to begin with so the Log Viewer does not know how to handle them. And that's also the reason why you would see a certificate tab in the properties dialog even while logs files can not have certificates at all.

To make matter worse: there is a small remote chance that other files on your disk are now corrupted too. This because the 'restore' function has assigned clusters on your disk to a file (the ".ple" files) which belonged to other files (the original executables or whatever). If those other files were existing files you have big problems.
Now, don't be that alarmed though. This is just a chance. Usually, 'restore' programs do not assign clusters which are currently in use.... but there are 'restore' programs that do and/or can! And if you used one of those, but without the proper knowledge, you might have done more damage than you think.

Very short bottom line: I'm afraid your logs are gone and they can not be restored anymore.

All you can do now is simply check each and every log you have restored by opening it in the Log Viewer. If the Log Viewer says it can't open the log then that log isn't a log at all and the file should be removed. There is nothing you can do about that, it's gone..... But, even if the Log Viewer can open the file, make sure it actually is a log and check its contents all the way to the end.

EDIT: here is a (technical) link which explains it way better than I can about what happened (but also way more reading to do :-P), especially the "What Happens When Data Is Deleted?" part.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/impossible-recover-d...hnology-explained/

-----

PS: I also noticed the date assignments in both your screenshots. eg: "den 6 november" ????..... It seems you have some more issues with your PC/Windows OS.

This post was edited on 01-30-2013 at 12:55 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-30-2013 12:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: