What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Skype » Skype Plus! General » WLM features I can't live without

WLM features I can't live without
Author: Message:
ChiBuki

O.P. WLM features I can't live without
Years after years, Microsoft forced us to upgrade to newer versions of what they think is the ideal Windows Live Messenger, to the point of dropping support to older OS. It is a modern day colonization as we know it and there's no stopping this giant bigots of a corporation.

Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726) is what I'm still running today where I'm perfectly comfortable with. In truth, this was made possible by generous people who developed a patch to bypass the block that forced users to upgrade to Version 2011.

MSN Messenger was the first and longest IM program I've ever used. With Messenger Plus! Live, WLM 2009 became my most ideal IM - and not just some IM, it's a way of life. I'm still in touch with the people I met over the years on the internet today through the same version of WLM. We would build our own library of custom emoticons and emoticon sound packs from the start and even today we'd still use them as part of our regular conversation. Before we know it, we had to battle these waves of new version of WLM released by Microsoft and almost each version loses features that we like. While this generation of people are happy with Skype and the ever-popular IM features such as video chats and audio calls, those features mean nothing to some people out there. Like us.

I have been taking things for granted. I haven't been vocal to the dev team who worked on this fantastic free expansion. Today I decided to take the liberty of writing this to express my gratitude to all of the Messenger Plus! Live team, who made WLM the best IM program out there. Sooner or later we'd all have to come to terms with the parting of our loved features, such as:
  • Freely changing display names
  • Animated GIF display picture
  • Windows Live Groups (automatically add members to a dedicated chat room as they go online, removed in Ver 2011)
  • Custom Emoticons
  • Emoticon Sounds

We'd love to see those features back in Skype though! Alas we know some of those features are not in Skype's ground features or protocol and virtually impossible to make a return. You guys deserve to develop your own IM software with the same features that WLM 2009 had. Knowing there's nothing to take for granted as far as Microsoft's IM is concerned, I would genuinely donate if this dream ever realize.

So once again, thank you Messenger Plus! Live team. Things will be very different come March 15 but we'll likely continue to support your development in Skype.

This post was edited on 02-01-2013 at 05:01 AM by ChiBuki.
02-01-2013 04:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MasterJok3r

RE: WLM features I can't live without
I agree! In particular for custom emoticons,without them i won't use skype!

I hope in Msgplus team :D
02-01-2013 08:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: WLM features I can't live without
I don't necessarily disagree with everything said here (on the contrary), but...
quote:
Originally posted by ChiBuki
(automatically add members to a dedicated chat room as they go online, removed in Ver 2011)
Errmm that was one of the most annoying things ever! And this was a major flaw as such.
(hence I was a bit puzzled why you would mention that as a good thing :-P)

There was no way to block IM-windows popping up when people in a group started to talk to you; you were automatically invited into the group.

This resulted more than often in spam and unwanted conversations. And even worse: everybody in that group, including people you don't know or which you had no affiliation with could see your personal emailadres, etc

(The idea of groups themself was great though.... The implementation done by MS was not so good)

;-)

This post was edited on 02-02-2013 at 09:54 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-02-2013 09:53 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: