Shoutbox

File Shareing Plugin (Release) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: File Shareing Plugin (Release) (/showthread.php?tid=17934)

File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-09-2003 at 08:26 PM

Well my plugin is finnished it took a whole weekend to make so you better like it :D .

You can read about it on this thread
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=17918

Thanks to all the people who helped me the last day and a half

Mnjul for helping me get past some starting difficulties
DJ Mysticje for helping me fix the echo bug
Dempsey for helping me beta test, helping with code and giving exelent feedback.
And last but not least Patchou for making Messenger Plus 2 who probably blinked and mist the entire development of this plugin :)

To Do...

[x] Remove Options Icon
[x] Create an installer
[ ] Fix character limit problem
[ ] Add password protection
[x] Add include files in sub folders option
[x] Correct my poor spelling
[x] Add /xrstatus command
[ ] Add file selection box
[x] Add file type filter argument to /xrlist

[x] Added shared folder only security!!!

I created a new installer that will do all the installation stuff for you. but unfortunatley it makes it alot bigger.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by slang123 on 11-09-2003 at 09:15 PM

good work!

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Jeronimo on 11-09-2003 at 10:01 PM

Yes, very nice work. Few things I would like to ask/point out to help improve this plugin even more (y).

1) Take a look at the installer by DJMystic http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=14...d=118243#pid118243. Seems quite easy to use, and would make installing your plugin a doddle :)

2) When there are lots of files in the shared folder, not all of them are listed. This is due to the fact that there is a limit to the amount of characters allowed per message. Maybe if there are too many characters, the file list can be sent as a text file. Otherwise there are many many files that could be left off the list :P

3) Being picky here. Can you get rid of the ugly program icon in the top left of the options window?

4) My last one is a question. I don't have a spare friend to try this on, but is it possible for more than 1 person to be accessing my files at a time? I remember an old plugin similar to yours that had the limitation that only one person could be using it at a time.

That's it for now. Will be able to provide more feedback as I use it more. Certainly its darn useful. Top work Pleh!!

EDIT: Again, being picky, but its Sharing :). Also maybe have an /xrstatus? Handy box to pop up and say whether its turned on and what folder is shared? And maybe an /xrstats to see how much has been shared, who has got what etc? And and and.... :P

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by dotNorma on 11-09-2003 at 10:06 PM

maybe the ability to password protect certain files?

Would go like this....

AlecD - /xrlist

*List appears here*

AlecD - /xfile C://Program files/Poop/log/ofdoom.exe

Other Person - Password Please?

AlecD - poopofdoom

*File is Sent to the other person*

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by |Rolando| on 11-09-2003 at 10:08 PM

downloading... sounds nice :)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-09-2003 at 10:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys Jeronimo in particular, next weekend i will be doing some more work on the plugin. I will edit my first post to reflect a list of stuff to do.

Nice job noticeing that ugly program icon :)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Parallel on 11-09-2003 at 10:39 PM

I found a bug in this, you can get any file by the /xrfile command not just the shared, coudl take any file off your pc

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-09-2003 at 10:43 PM

not a bug, ive said this many times!

They would need to know the exact file name and path to access it tho (verry unlikley)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Jeronimo on 11-09-2003 at 11:01 PM

There are no doubt going to be some security features to clear up.

1) You can download any file - probably a way to check if the requested file lives inside the shared folder. If not, the request is denied. I know people would have to know the exact location and path, but even I could probably guess the location of my friend's chat logs for example. Of course he would see that I had transferred the files :refuck:

2) Could also have some kind of allowed users list. Not on the list, you can't get the files.

3) Some kind of login, or password protection type thing.

In any case, nothing is totally secure. If you are worried about people getting your files, you would never connect to the internet ;)

I'm sure Pleh will address many of these problems with future versions of his plugin :gfdrin:

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Parallel on 11-10-2003 at 12:48 AM

Could you also do a program that lets you search for the address of programs on peoples pc? to know what stuff you want to download, where it is

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by dotNorma on 11-10-2003 at 01:02 AM

That would be way to un-secure because people could just download what ever they wanted off of your PC

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Parallel on 11-10-2003 at 01:06 AM

well its unsecure enough already, I already got my friends account for a game

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Sk3tch on 11-10-2003 at 01:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Messenger_Plus!
That would be way to un-secure because people could just download what ever they wanted off of your PC
Just like Kazaa :lol: (also it would be to a specifies folder)
But i agree 100% you couldnt do that, it would be too much of an invasion on privacy unless it was a seperate thing, and you agree'd to accept.
RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by dotNorma on 11-10-2003 at 01:30 AM

Even if they couldnt download it I wouldnt want people to be snooping around my PC and seeing what files I have on it. And Sk3tch answer me PM :@

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-10-2003 at 08:04 AM

No i wont be adding a search feature, as allready said it is too in secure, the /xrlist command gives out a list of files you want to let people know the command lines for, in later releases you can use masks in the /xrlist command so you can filter out zip files for example if you have a large amount of files to share.Also i plan to allow selecting multiple shared folders :)

I will make a password option the chat will go like this...

Person 1 /rlist

Person 2 Please Enter Password

Person 1 /xrpass pasword

Person 2 gives a list

Person 1 /rfile C:\test.exe

Person 2 Please Enter Password

Person 1 /xrpass pasword

person 2 request accepted sending...

This will ba an option of course, you may not be bothered about security (like me) and you might not want to have to type in a password every time you want to download a file.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-10-2003 at 10:35 PM

I have just uploaded a new version of my plugin. it has 2 new features (sorry no password protection yet but im working on it)

1. Optional filter in the /xrlist command allows you to ask for more specific files
usage: /xrlist *.mp3 <--- will give only mp3 files in the list

Include subfolders option, this will include all files in sub folders of your shared folder in the request list.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Jeronimo on 11-10-2003 at 10:49 PM

I am not too worried about having password protection iff only files within the shared folder can be transferred. I think is far more important than having a password feature atm. Like when I have Apache running, I want the highest level people can view to be the htdocs folder, not my entire hard disk :)

I am not the programmer but obviously it would go something like this:

if file is in shared folder
      begin transfer
else deny transfer

If you implement this, then I can really start using this plugin without worry :)

Nice work up till now tho! (y)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Sk3tch on 11-10-2003 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
iff only files within the shared folder can be transferred. I think is far more important than having a password feature atm.
Yeah i agree.. within the restrictions only and thats all that matters..
RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-10-2003 at 10:55 PM

i will give it a go then, i wont worry about the password feature untill alot later, i will try to add that feature tomorow night after work

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-10-2003 at 11:32 PM

ok that was easier than i thought. its done now, Jeronimo you can be worry free from now on. i have updated the link on the main page

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by wipey on 11-11-2003 at 12:19 AM

does it resume transfers?

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by dotNorma on 11-11-2003 at 12:22 AM

I Downloaded the zip , unzipped the zip , ran installer.exe and installed The plug-in. I ran the registry installer in the zip. I ran Msn Messenger but Pleh File sharing wasn't on the menu O_o

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Jeronimo on 11-11-2003 at 12:38 AM

I can't seem to get this to work :( I don't think there was ever a menu entry for this plugin, you just had to know the commands.

Now it seems even they aren't working, and I'm getting a "do not recognise this command" from Plus.

Anyone else having success with this new version?

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Sk3tch on 11-11-2003 at 12:42 AM

Same problems here, installed both the plugin and regestry settings and nothing worked.. restared my computer and still nothing works.. nothing on the plus plugin menu either. :-/

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Jeronimo on 11-11-2003 at 12:48 AM

Guess Pleh must have broke something somewhere. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and we'll have a working plugin, with shared folder checking, in the morning.

And there has never been a menu for it. Maybe Pleh will add it to his ever increasing to do list ;)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by itior on 11-11-2003 at 05:20 AM

I coded something extremely similar to this a while back and received no response...

Anyway, if you want my code you can contact me on msn and I'll give it to you if you want to have a look.  (evan@sniffed.info)

It's in VB btw.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-11-2003 at 09:57 AM

Yes i think i must have broke something somewhere with the last release. I will fix it when i get home. And there has allways been a menu. I dont know why it was not showing up for most of you. I had the menu on the comp i made the plugin on and on the test comp too. i will see what i can sort out for tonight.

I was using an updated installer this time, maby that has something to do with it.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-11-2003 at 10:50 AM

Ok i think i fixed it now. if you had an older version of my plugin the installer i was using dident reregister the dll properly. I have used a different intaller this time and it should work much better.

Dont tell my boss i did it in working hours tho ;)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Jeronimo on 11-11-2003 at 11:16 AM

Yeah well done Pleh, seems to work now, with menus and everything.

Just tested the top level access to shared folder, and it seems to be working fine. Can feel much happier using this plugin now I know only the folder I share can be downloaded

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-11-2003 at 11:48 AM

Glad to hear it, i will be adding more features later in the week. and maby get up to 1.3 but it will be mostly cosmettic stuff

I donk know why the installer i was using dident work, its the same one everyone else uses

Weird?

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Leif on 11-11-2003 at 09:57 PM

Slight problem when sharing folder full of .MP3s - the 1,100 character limit is way too low. What can be done about it?

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Jeronimo on 11-11-2003 at 10:06 PM

I mentioned this in an earlier post. I suggested sending the file list in a text file to the other person. Adds in an extra step as they have to open it in notepad, but thats hardly a big deal. I got this idea from an earlier plugin by itior.

The other way I suppose is to break the message down into chunks, making sure a file name is not cut in half. I think this would be much harder to do correctly and also it might be a HUGE list that would leave you scrabbling about in the message window. I don't like the thought of this tbh.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-11-2003 at 10:20 PM

i might be able to add some kind of search feature.

/xrsearch <enter a keyword here>

and it will work like the extension filter except it will only display files with the keyword in the name. hows that sound?

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Jeronimo on 11-11-2003 at 10:24 PM

How would that differ from typing

/xrlist *keyword*

or does the filter only work for extensions?

In any case, might not know what I am after, and might just want to browse :undecided:

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by dotNorma on 11-11-2003 at 10:24 PM

Ok good job I will install it now and by the way the menu always showed for me , Even in the beta :\

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by lylesback2 on 11-12-2003 at 01:29 AM

doesn't plus offer a file sharing command?

RE: RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Leif on 11-12-2003 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback

Yes, you are perfectly right! But this plug-in is different. You share a folder (and its subfolders) and people can get what they want from that folder themselves. In Plus!, on the other hand, you can make a list of your ten (?) favourite files that you want to be able to send quickly and effortly to your contact.
And with this plug-in you can get files from your own computer when you are at work/school/Wendy's place, etc. Provided you have this plug-in on that computer as well and that you log in to another account, of course! Enough differences to warrant this plug-in, right?
RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-12-2003 at 04:06 PM

quote:

not like this, with plus's file shareing command you basically just have shortcuts to common files that when you click it sends that file to them, with this plugin you can ask someone for a file and they dont even have to be there to accept it.

It means you can leave your PC on at home and download files from your home PC from anywhere easilly.
RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by sonicadvance1 on 11-13-2003 at 02:55 AM

SUGGESTION!:you Could Make IT So that you can share more then one folder and then when you type /xrlist it will ask you which folder you want.like if you wanted my pickled movies the thing would give you a shortcut like /xr2 to open it

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Sk3tch on 11-13-2003 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sonicadvance1
SUGGESTION!:you Could Make IT So that you can share more then one folder and then when you type /xrlist it will ask you which folder you want.like if you wanted my pickled movies the thing would give you a shortcut like /xr2 to open it
Just put sub folders in the Folder dir. :P
RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by sonicadvance1 on 11-13-2003 at 05:17 AM

but then you could run out of room in the txt message

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 11-13-2003 at 10:24 AM

I will be fixing the text limit toon to show 10 files in each message and then send as many messages as it needs to. you can also use the file extension filter to reduce the results. and when i add the search feature it should be even better. i have been busy this week but next week i will focus on getting these things added. :)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by sonicadvance1 on 11-13-2003 at 01:49 PM

Oh Ya,Forgot To Say It Was Good.Oops.Ah Well It Is Really Good Though,now I Can Get Files From My Friends House Without Him KNowing LOL.Keep Up The Good Work.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by slang123 on 11-13-2003 at 06:34 PM

LOL, what is it with ur wierd capitalization? I've seen u use it in loads of threads and be asked to not do it and u've never replied. So whats with it?

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by sonicadvance1 on 11-13-2003 at 09:56 PM

I Type Fast And It Just Happens.Been Doing It For A While

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by slang123 on 11-14-2003 at 12:01 AM

wow, thats nuts. ur shift key must be knackered! lol. And if u type fast then u must time pressing shift rather well. Anyway, ontopic: great plugin!

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Cadish on 11-30-2003 at 01:05 PM

I like your plugin... But what I really like to see is an option for a download limit, because I have a crappy uploadlimit...
Is this possible?

Thx,
Cadish

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by deleenheir on 11-30-2003 at 07:45 PM

I have 2 suggestions:
1. Can you make your plugin like that that only the host needs the plug in? Cos I would like to use it at school but you cant install msn plus there...
2. Make the plugin accept files so you can also upload... (maybe with a password protection)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 12-15-2003 at 09:03 PM

I dont think the download limit would be possible unless i add some pritty hefty code that basically runs a seperate program to limit MSN's use of bandwidth, which i think you will agree is a waste of time.

the only the host needs the plugin thing could be possible i supose but i would need to make the plugin check each incoming message for the /xrlist and /xrfile commands which will waste alot of your system resources.

and the accept files thing could also be possible but it would be pritty similar to situation above, the host would have to be allways "listening" for files.

I will also be making my code open source soon if anyone wants to see how it is done (after i neaten it up a bit) if anyone is interested just send me an email.

PlehXP@hotmail.com

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 12-15-2003 at 11:49 PM

My source code is ready if anyone wants it. just send me an email to PlehXP@Hotmail.com

I will try to check my emails tomorow while im at work, well im off to bed, nite nite

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by dotNorma on 12-16-2003 at 02:59 AM

Neat , I would like to have a look at the source code :)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Yarman on 01-25-2004 at 10:39 PM

Hello!
Sorry for my english: i'm french.
I've installed this file sharing plugin, and when i turn it on messenger uses 100% of the prossessor, and I can't do nothing but shut off messenger....

got MSN messenger 6.1.02.07 and Plus! 2.54.74

thx

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Nitemistress on 01-26-2004 at 02:31 AM

Actually I've been having some problems with it since installing it today as well. Have just now had to restart Messenger three times then reboot my whole computer. Had my friend install it as well and was able to view his list but he can't view mine and not sure if he is experiencing the same problem I have but when I got back from my reboot he was gone.  Until I hear some feedback I will have to uninstall it though don't really want to. TIA for any help.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 01-28-2004 at 03:35 PM

Do you have a software or hardware firewall? i have had no problems like these using it myself, what specs are your PCs? can you give as much information as possible so that we might be able to find out what the problem is.

Also i am going to start work on my plugin again, i will be adding a few new features these include...

A search function /xrsearch <whatever here>
A folder change function so that /xrfolder <folder path eg. "folder1\folder2\">will only list files in a certain folder
A toast to show the status of the plugin /xrstatus
A counter that keeps a record of file requests /xrstats

I know a few of you have started playing with my source code to tweak my plugin to your likeing, if you can think of any other features that you would like to see in Plehs File Shareing Plugin v2.0 then please leave some comments. also if you have some modifyed source you want to send me so i can integrate it into 2.0 and put your name on the options screen send me an email (plehxp@hotmail.com)

I hope i can get most of these features working soon.

Finnaly i have been informmed of a way to get my plugin working so that you dont even need messenger plus on the recieveing PC. it will take a little tweaking but i think it is possible. this will open up new possibilities for those of you that cannot for some reason install Messenger plus on the pc you want to recieve a file on, for example a public pc or in school maby, i have had alot of requests for this and if i get ti working... woohoo :)

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Nitemistress on 01-29-2004 at 03:37 AM

Not running a firewall *bad I know :\* but my friend and I have exact same set ups: XP Pro, latest versions of Messenger as well as Plus!, and our systems are exactly the same except I have way more hard drive and ram than him :P

Both of us had the same thing: caused problems with messenger itself, would freeze up or sign us out completely, one or the other of us could only see the files but access when granted wouldn't work. Once we both uninstalled the plug in everything else returned to normal. Will wait for newer version of this to try again.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 01-29-2004 at 12:33 PM

I have added all the extra functions i wanted and they all work great appart from the search function, at the moment you have to know the exact filename of the file you want and it will only return 1 result if anyone can help with a search function please contact me.

also Nitemistress i think i know what your problem is, does it only start to use up all your processor power when somone asks for a file list? and have you left the shared folder as c:\ and do you have only 1 partition? you said it only happens for you not your friend and you have a bigger hard disk, do you have loads of files on your hard disk?

basically what im getting at is when someone asks for a list the plugin will make a complete list of every file in the shared folder in this case probably C: which if you have a large hard disk can be up to 100,000 files easilly this will cause your PC to have a heart attack, you should specify a folder to share instead of your complete hard disk, that should fix your problem.

I will be making an installer for Plehs File Sharing v2.0 when i have got a better search function in place and people have given more feedback. Here is the dll for it so far, if you dont know how to use it search around the forums on how to register dlls.

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Nitemistress on 01-29-2004 at 06:45 PM

Good point Pleh but he used his smallest drive and I have two physical drives, the smaller one partitioned and I used the smallest partition on it. If I left it as my C then forget the heart attack, we'd be holding the funeral lol Will see about this later when I talk to him. Thanks

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Yarman on 01-29-2004 at 09:25 PM

I got a 650 Duron, 384Mo of RAM, win XP and Kerio presonal firewall
I just share a folder containing a lot of files....

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Pleh on 02-01-2004 at 10:40 PM

and does it work for you? i tried sharing a folder containing 10 gig of mp3s and my computer took about 5 mins to get the list. and that was on this pc...

Athlon XP 3000+
250 gig hard disk space
512 DDR 3200 ram

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Yarman on 02-08-2004 at 10:54 PM

Ok, so it's not surprising....

I'll do  another test in a few days... and repport you what happen!

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by Loser_523 on 08-05-2005 at 12:10 PM

Hey, cool plugin! Theres a couple suggestions I'd like to make:

1) Because of MSN's limit to how many chars youre allowed to have per message, when I request a file list it gets cut off halfway through. Would it be possible to make the plugin list the files in more than 1 message to avoid the bototm half of the list getting cut off?
2) I find it quite a waste of space for it to list each file in the root directory and each file in each sub directory. Wouldnt it be more user friendly if it was more like a MSDOS command prompt, where it lists the files and subfolders, and you can navigate into different sub folders and get the file lists of those folders instead of the list of all the files at once? I just thought the way itior made his file sharing plugin was a bit more.. space saving than this one, but its still great and seeing as itior's no longer works, I guess I'll keep using this one :)

Thx for working on this plugin, its really cool!

RE: File Shareing Plugin (Release) by selasi on 01-30-2006 at 08:54 PM

On the options window of the plugin, there are two tick boxes, and the text next to them is blacked out, so I can't see what it says.  Can someone tell me what the text says?