Shoutbox

Log archive bug - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Log archive bug (/showthread.php?tid=33971)

Log archive bug by Terabyte on 11-02-2004 at 12:32 AM

After upgrading to 3.25.106 from the immediate previous version and without changing any settings, October 2004's log files were placed in September 2004's folder.  All had October dates and logs in them but I had to move them on my own.  Anyone else with this problem?  I've never seen it before.

System:
XP Pro SP2
Windows Messenger 5.0.0482

RE: Log archive bug by myexit__ on 11-02-2004 at 02:11 AM

i have a similar problem.

i was using Plus! version 3.20.100 and i encrypted my chat logs. there is no October folder and in my September folder there appears to be the encrypted logs but they're .ple.1 files (i.e. ********@hotmail.com.ple.1) i figure they're the encrypted logs because they look the same as the normal logs when opened in notepad (unencrypted)

i updated my Plus! to 3.25.106 but it didn't change the logs.

System:
Windows XP SP2
MSN Messanger 6.2.0137

(i wasn't sure wether to start a new thread as our problems are quite similar, sorry if i should have)

RE: Log archive bug by Terabyte on 11-02-2004 at 02:36 AM

So my thinking is they have a serious archive bug that needs addressed ASAP...

RE: Log archive bug by bach_m on 11-02-2004 at 02:41 AM

THe same has happened to me. V.3.25.106

the .1 at the end is because there is already a file in that folder with the person's email, and so this is another file with the smae file name

RE: Log archive bug by stuartbennett on 11-02-2004 at 09:42 AM

wow this sounds very serious im not sure if i have this problem or not as although i have plus create logs by default its very rare that i ever need to refer to them. but i hope this issue gets fixed

RE: Log archive bug by Terabyte on 11-02-2004 at 12:30 PM

I refer to them all the time.  It's pretty much the ONLY reason I use Messagenger Plus.  They gotta fix this immediatly and issue another update.  IMHO, 3 has had too fast of a development cycle and they're introducing bugs that they wouldn't have with 2.x.  They should stop with all the fluffy UI junk they've added and work on functionality like auto-relogon (Trillian can do it so they can too if they want), but as for this bug, I need to know my logs are safe or I may have to go to Trillian for good (though I really dislike their UI alltogether).

RE: Log archive bug by stuartbennett on 11-02-2004 at 12:58 PM

auto- relogon. yes thats a good idea so whenever messenger kicks you off due to maintenance it logs you back on as soon as it can thatd be awesoe.

RE: Log archive bug by Vazza on 11-02-2004 at 11:15 PM

This has happened with except that it is only the main account that I use (btinternet)in which the logs have been misplaced. Hotmail account logs as been place as normal.

MSN Messenger : 6.2.0137
Plus! : 3.25.106

RE: Log archive bug by vincerooney on 11-03-2004 at 12:04 AM

Yes i also have this problem, any solutions?

RE: Log archive bug by Terabyte on 11-03-2004 at 01:09 PM

Not yet and so far no replies from Patchou either.  Gotta wonder if posts here are considered...

RE: Log archive bug by stuartbennett on 11-03-2004 at 01:44 PM

i think they are considered terabyte but please remember patchou is a busy person he works and writes plus in his free time, not to mention hes now going away to france for a while so he probably wont be replying to many forum threads for a few weeks as he just simply wont be around. so please calm down and gave patch a break.

RE: Log archive bug by Patchou on 11-05-2004 at 06:08 PM

Well, one thing is sure, your logs will never be deleted automatically; at worse they will be misplaced or renamed. I'll check out this problem when I get back home (and its surely not a newly introduced problem, I didnt change anything in the archiving code for moths :))

RE: RE: Log archive bug by Terabyte on 11-05-2004 at 09:44 PM

quote:
[i]its surely not a newly introduced problem, I didnt change anything in the archiving code for moths

Almost has to be.  Log archiving worked perfectly for me through the end of September 2004 then when October's logs were archived they ended up in September's folder.
RE: Log archive bug by myexit__ on 11-21-2004 at 10:51 PM

anybody found a solution?

RE: Log archive bug by b_birak on 11-21-2004 at 11:35 PM

i updated my Plus! to 3.25.106 too.  i had no access to my logs. oh well. least they weren't important this time. but if they were, i wouldn't have been pleased :@

System:
Windows XP SP2
MSN Messanger 6.2.0137

RE: Log archive bug by myexit__ on 12-02-2004 at 12:23 AM

mine are important!

RE: RE: Log archive bug by Terabyte on 12-02-2004 at 12:27 AM

Here's the strange thing.  I have a November 2004 folder!  I had to create an October 2004 folder and move files from the other folder to the Oct 04 folder, but not this month.  A bug with one month?

RE: Log archive bug by myexit__ on 12-05-2004 at 10:54 PM

yea it seems so.

im stuck with an october folder of encrypted ple.1 files..and i cant read them!

how long will we have to wait for a possible solution? all i need help with is being told how to unencrypt these text files (no password option comes up as i have to drag them into notepad)

RE: Log archive bug by Odium696 on 12-12-2004 at 07:03 PM

I got a similar Problem, that started after I instaled the latest Plus! An error apears that says:
"An error ocured loading the message History for:..."

At first I thougt it was an error in the MSN Messenger 7, but I uninstaled the plus and it stoped appearing, and som of my friends have the same problem, that started after they installed the plus!

Any Idea?

RE: Log archive bug by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-13-2004 at 04:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Odium696
I got a similar Problem, that started after I instaled the latest Plus! An error apears that says:
"An error ocured loading the message History for:..."

At first I thougt it was an error in the MSN Messenger 7, but I uninstaled the plus and it stoped appearing, and som of my friends have the same problem, that started after they installed the plus!

Any Idea?

Your problem is with the handwriting plugin, and there are threads regarding this problem. It is a Microsoft problem, not with Plus!...Refer to this page:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=35520

Btw, if you have this problem, check whether you can view the logs created by MSN Messenger, not by Plus!. If you cant, that means you will need to wait until Microsoft comes up with a solution, or use the programs listed in the above forum page...

EDIT: You're welcome...
RE: Log archive bug by Odium696 on 12-13-2004 at 04:29 AM

Thx 4 the help!

RE: Log archive bug by JackieKu on 12-18-2004 at 03:02 PM

I have a problem with chat logs, too.

Today is December 18th, 2004, but the logs after October 10th, 2004 are not moved to the folders for each month, in fact, Msg Plus! has not created the folder for November, 2004.

I think this feature in Msg Plus! is very useful, but it doesn't work now, please fix it!

==========================
Messenger Plus!  3.25.106
MSN Messenger 6.2.0137

RE: Log archive bug by Vazza on 12-18-2004 at 11:15 PM

So whats different for October?As i said in a previous post, only my primary messenger account was messed. However, November was placed correctly *-) for both my accounts. Maybe just a glitch in the October coding (assuming each month is individually coded though I doubt this).