Shoutbox

Please, add date in log - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Please, add date in log (/showthread.php?tid=94155)

Please, add date in log by mahris on 03-19-2010 at 09:28 PM

Hi,

Please, keep message date - maybe, as optional param.
Session start in the log means nothing. My computer works 24/7, and next session can start after some months.

I use chat for work, and exact log is extremely important for me.

Thank you,
Mahris

RE: Please, add date in log by Chris4 on 03-22-2010 at 05:15 AM

The 'session start' is when you open the conversation. I highly doubt you keep the same conversation open for "some months". Once you're done talking to someone you close the conversation, simple as. Then a chat log starts a new session when you start a new conversation.

RE: Please, add date in log by mahris on 03-24-2010 at 03:10 AM

Dear Chris,
Of course, I keep conversation - maybe not months, but multiple weeks definitely.
And I propose that almost everybody who uses chat for tasks similar to mine acts in the same way.
My tasks - software development in team. Long time works, chat used for team communication.
I never have "done talking to someone". We work and talk. Talking will be done after some months, at end of work.

RE: Please, add date in log by Chrono on 03-24-2010 at 04:13 AM

well, i guess it cant be that hard to add a line with the date to the logs every time the clock goes past midnight (only if the conversation window is opened)... i dunno what will others/Patchou think about this though :P

RE: Please, add date in log by djdannyp on 03-24-2010 at 06:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mahris
Dear Chris,
Of course, I keep conversation - maybe not months, but multiple weeks definitely.
And I propose that almost everybody who uses chat for tasks similar to mine acts in the same way.
My tasks - software development in team. Long time works, chat used for team communication.
I never have "done talking to someone". We work and talk. Talking will be done after some months, at end of work.

Yes, but his point is that you don't talk 24/7.....you go to eat food, you go to sleep.  There is no decent reason for keeping chat sessions open all this time, especially if you are logging the contents, so it's not like you'll forget what's being said.

RE: Please, add date in log by CookieRevised on 03-24-2010 at 11:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
well, i guess it cant be that hard to add a line with the date to the logs every time the clock goes past midnight (only if the conversation window is opened)... i dunno what will others/Patchou think about this though :P
Dunnu about that.

Another way would be (actually as suggested) to store the date for each chat line in the html file too, in a new seperate class "date".

In that way, people could use that info to make their own stylesheet (which is already supported - see comments inside any log file) and thus show the date too (which maybe can be hidden by default, to keep things the same like it is now).

quote:
Originally posted by mahris
Dear Chris,
And I propose that almost everybody who uses chat for tasks similar to mine acts in the same way. My tasks - software development in team. Long time works, chat used for team communication. I never have "done talking to someone". We work and talk. Talking will be done after some months, at end of work.
So, if I understand correctly: you keep your computer and Messenger on for weeks at a time. And you never close any conversation window during that period?
RE: Please, add date in log by mahris on 03-25-2010 at 05:36 PM

Yes, I keep all windows needed for work opened in fixed places of screen: some virtual machines, chat, some explorers, some info tabs in browser.
I close them only when computer requires restart.
Typically, I open and close only windows I use for relax - games, thrillers etc.

RE: Please, add date in log by andrey on 03-29-2010 at 05:14 PM

Actually, there is a registry setting to modify the timestamp format used in the log files: "ChatLogTimeStampFormat" (see http://msgpluslive.net/help/registry)

But when setting its value to something like "dd'.'MM'.'yy' - 'mm':'HH", the date tags aren't replaced with the actual values, it just parses the time tags.
The feature is there, but it doesn't seem to work - I guess this qualifies as a bug and you might want to post a thread in the Bug reports forum about this. (considering that the issue was brought up before, but apparently didn't get much attention)

RE: Please, add date in log by CookieRevised on 03-30-2010 at 07:43 AM

This is however not a bug though, that registry setting is intended for the timestamp only, not for the date (ChatLogTimeStampFormat).

RE: Please, add date in log by andrey on 03-30-2010 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This is however not a bug though, that registry setting is intended for the timestamp only, not for the date (ChatLogTimeStampFormat).
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/timestamp
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/time stamp

We could do a lot of nitpicking about the definition of a timestamp now, but that wouldn't help anyone. :p Fact is that it doesn't make much sense not to parse the date values in there as well. WLM's own logs include the date in every line of the conversation as well (although as separated date / time columns).
RE: RE: Please, add date in log by CookieRevised on 03-31-2010 at 09:16 AM

It's true that the term 'timestamp' is a bit dubious. And for that reason a lot of programs use 'timestamp' for time only, 'datestamp' for dates, and 'datetime stamp' for both. The description of that registry key also explains its for time only.

So it isn't a bug, it is how it was intented. But it's also very true that this is a shortcoming.

RE: Please, add date in log by hayami on 06-29-2010 at 12:46 PM

my computer is on 24/7 too. I don't close the message windows until I need to shutdown or the MSN crash.

I find the message history for MP!live has much better searching capability so I have switched frmo M$ stock message history.

However it is very unconvenince that MP!Live's log won't show the date of each line, so the session could open for many days and I don't know the exact date that line of conversation happened. However M$'s stock message history do provide the datestamp on every message.

You may say chatting on IM should be casual, why be so serious. But it defeat the reason of logging you conversation. Company now uses IM for internal conversation instead of email because it is quick, it may also happen between 2 company -- fortunately business users usually shutdown that company every day , whic may not affected by the design of MP!Live history/they simiply just use MSN stock message history.

On the other hand,
Although the Event Viewer fo MP!Live only have a time column, but when you place the mouse over a line, the tooltip will display a timestamp with date:
e.g. Time: 2010/06/29 - 20:36:05
If you can just use this info/variable as the "timestamp" (with date) in the message log, that'll be very helpful.

RE: Please, add date in log by CookieRevised on 06-30-2010 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hayami
If you can just use this info/variable as the "timestamp" (with date) in the message log, that'll be very helpful.
Conversation logs have got nothing todo with the event log.
So, it is not because the Event Log Viewer shows a date that it is stored in a conversation log. There is nothing a conversation log can do with the timedate stamp shown in the Event Log Viewer.

--

Either way, I still find it very strange why you can't simply close all the open conversations at the end of the day, before you go home. It seems like the very logical thing todo, even if you leave your computer running.

You could also set the registry key LogsDateDirFormat, so that logs are stored per day on your computer.