What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger PLUS! = Spyware?

Messenger PLUS! = Spyware?
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger PLUS! = Spyware?
You base your spyware arguments on the fact that the sponsorsoftware does it best to survive on the systemwhere it's installed. It is true that it adds many weird links that all ultiamtely go to the same search page, and the reason is simple: anti-adware programs. If software liek adaware didn't exist, they wouldn't have to do this. If a popular application was detecting my software and trying to remove it auomatically, I would try to overcome the protection too. The fact is that when an adware liek the one I distribute is properly installed (by asking the user before doing anything and by not displaying things like"click here to win" to forcean install), the software is completely legitimate and in my opinion, companies like adaware do not have the right to remove it from a computer. Most of my users are not interested in computer stuff, they're just interested in getting the program they want, for free. and that's what they get with Messenger Plus!. Mostof them don't care to install the sponsor because they understand (or don't even bother to wonder) that they get a couple of ads in exchange for some free services. That's what you get on every search engine nowadays, that's what you get on TV, on radio, everywhere! why would it be any different for software? I don't see people destroying advertisements in the street under the pretext that they don't want to see them everyday while taking the bus.

Whether you like it or not my friend, everything in computers is goingtoward the same direction as any other popular media took before: ad-supported. The reason is always the same: people don't want to pay for anything. I'm convinced that we're currently living a period of transition (with abuses on the two sides) but that at somepoint, things will calm down and everyonewill be used to get some ads on their desktop regularly. I don't say I look forward to this day, certainely not, but I'm sure it's near.
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-29-2004 06:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Messenger PLUS! = Spyware? - by Berglund on 09-27-2004 at 09:32 PM
RE: Messenger PLUS! = Spyware? - by MC Inferno on 09-27-2004 at 09:34 PM
RE: Messenger PLUS! = Spyware? - by Berglund on 09-27-2004 at 09:40 PM
RE: Messenger PLUS! = Spyware? - by Tochjo on 09-27-2004 at 09:44 PM
RE: Messenger PLUS! = Spyware? - by MC Inferno on 09-27-2004 at 09:45 PM
RE: Messenger PLUS! = Spyware? - by CookieRevised on 09-27-2004 at 09:46 PM
RE: Messenger PLUS! = Spyware? - by Fred Greg on 09-28-2004 at 09:41 AM