What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock

Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock
Author: Message:
lopardo
Veteran Member

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock
It's always hard to discuss with you :P

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Nope it is by design
How do you know?

quote:
It would be a very stupid and strange bug to be overlooked otherwise (IMO)
Nobody's perfect. Patchou is human and could have simply forgotten about this, if he was perfect we wouldn't have this subforum.

quote:
"offline" is a status just like any other status
I saw this one coming... Yes, technically, it's just another status, but it's the only one in which your contacts can't see you or talk to you, so it's a special status. Therefore, the Boss Protection and Messenger Lock features should check before changing your status. If you're in offline mode, it's because you don't want to talk or be seen.
Let's say I wanna go the bathroom and a friend of mine is here. I lock Messenger with a password so he can't use it. I was in offline mode because I didn't want to talk to someone or I didn't want someone to know I was online for some reason :P. Now my contacts see I'm online. But I do want MsgPlus to change my status when I'm in online mode and use this feature.

quote:
the boss protection simply changes your status, it doesn't check what your status is atm
That's why I'm posting this.

quote:
It is exactly like "AutoAwayAlways" because that also defines/limits the function to only a specific status which must be/must not be in action. If this isn't added as a "hidden" registry key, then "AutoAwayAlways" must also be made into a proper "not hidden" option IMHO.
It's not the same. It does something similar, but the context is different. Why should that "be made into a proper "not hidden" option"? They are different things.
When you make a program, you have to think which options you want to put in the GUI. You have to draw the line somewhere, you have to get a balance between functionality and easy of use. Otherwise you get a dialog with a thousand checkboxes for trivial options that make the important ones hard to find.

IMHO, the best solution for this would be if the Boss Protection and the Messenger Lock features only changed to the selected status if the current one wasn't "Appear offline". Then there could be a reg key to put it back as it is now.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
06-25-2005 08:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock - by lopardo on 06-25-2005 at 06:13 PM
RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock - by CookieRevised on 06-25-2005 at 06:54 PM
RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock - by RaceProUK on 06-25-2005 at 07:01 PM
RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock - by lopardo on 06-25-2005 at 07:36 PM
RE: RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock - by CookieRevised on 06-25-2005 at 07:48 PM
RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock - by Sunshine on 06-25-2005 at 08:06 PM
RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock - by lopardo on 06-25-2005 at 08:07 PM
RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock - by CookieRevised on 06-25-2005 at 08:29 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: