What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Patchou - Optional Sponsor Program.

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Patchou - Optional Sponsor Program.
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Patchou - Optional Sponsor Program.
The major problem is IMO, is people who think their really good running a software like adaware and then using that to uninstall the spyware.

Since Messenger Plus is a normal piece of software, and so is the sponser software, why dont people do the logical thing and uninstall plus
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
09-28-2004 08:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Fred Greg

Pavlova

– / Male / –
The option that says "I refuse, do not install the sponsor program" (word for word) makes it look like it'll prevent installation if you click it, & since that'll stop most people clicking on it, they'll never find out that you can in fact install without LOP (the sponsor).

It'd be better if it said "I refuse, install Plus! without the sponsor program." This would help prevent confusion. As has been mentioned, people don't read license agreements, & so it is their own fault to a large degree if they don't want LOP & they get it, but when you see something that looks like it says you have to choose yes, you'll generally choose yes if you want Plus!.

Also, the sponsor license itself (which is the only one, so it looks at a glance like the one for Plus!) contains "IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT AND THE PRIVACY POLICY, YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO INSTALL THE SOFTWARE." in it's preface, before it defines the "SOFTWARE" as being LOP, rather than Plus!

It's fine that it's there, but I really do reckon it should be clearer.

Fred Greg.
09-29-2004 03:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Bomber2k

Please remove the automatic installation of 'aditional software'. All we want is Plus! and I know that you must make money... but there must be another way.

If I were coding a anti-spyware program, i'd put Plus! on the list of spyware. People don't like spyware, no one does. You're trying to get money the wrong way!!! I doubt if LOP actually makes much either.

Plus, LOP is almost impossible to get rid of. You can't easily kill some of its many processes (lol i know, Linux > Windows in this respect), so how is someone to remove this junk?

It's like a virus! Adaware DOES NOT REMOVE IT!

Also, someone might not be able to read English very well, and would install the spyware unkowingly! Perhaps they don't read it?

Please remove the tick out of the spyware installation box.

PATCHYOU, DO YOU USE THE SPYWARE PROGRAM YOURSELF?
I bet you don't. You are deliberatively tricking people into installing spyware. The spyware could actually be classed as a virus.

How do you feel about spreading viruses? I hope you hear from the law soon enough...
09-30-2004 11:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Patchou - Optional Sponsor Program.
quote:
Originally posted by Bomber2k
Please remove the automatic installation of 'aditional software'. All we want is Plus! and I know that you must make money... but there must be another way.
No there isn't atm. Patchou have explained this many many times before why he choosed for this approach, search the forums.

quote:
If I were coding a anti-spyware program, i'd put Plus! on the list of spyware.
The sponsor is not spyware, it is adware! Huge difference there!! You might want to check up on the difference before you attempt to write such a program. Furthermore, it is the sponsor which is adware, not Plus!

quote:
People don't like spyware, no one does. You're trying to get money the wrong way!!! I doubt if LOP actually makes much either.
It gives him enough to live on and to develop Plus! further. Also, the wrong way? May I ask you a question? Did you pay for every piece of software on your PC (including all your downloaded songs)? I doubt it....

quote:
Plus, LOP is almost impossible to get rid of. You can't easily kill some of its many processes (lol i know, Linux > Windows in this respect), so how is someone to remove this junk?
The sponsor is very easly uninstalled if you simply uninstall Plus!. And that would only take less then 5 minutes to do.

quote:
It's like a virus! Adaware DOES NOT REMOVE IT!
It is nothing like a virus! Ad-aware doesn't remove it because Ad-aware is only a tool to track _some_ adware. Ad-ware isn't the holy grale. How can 1 program know every possible kind of adware/spyware and know how to exactly remove things? If such things were possible then Windows would not need a software-panel to uninstall programs. And programs would not need a uninstall procedure.

It strikes me that so many people trust software like ad-aware to completely uninstall things, while the logic and proper way is to execute the uninstall procedures of the program in question (and yes, that goes even for most adware! Yes, they even have uninstallers which completely remove the adware! So why is it so unlogic to use that once you found the adware?????????).....

quote:
Also, someone might not be able to read English very well, and would install the spyware unkowingly! Perhaps they don't read it?
That's why the first paragraph of the sponsor agreement, and the whole setup (including the options to choose from) are translated when you install Plus! in another language!!

quote:
PATCHYOU, DO YOU USE THE SPYWARE PROGRAM YOURSELF?
I bet you don't.
Yes he does use the searchbar!

quote:
The spyware could actually be classed as a virus.
Get your facts strait.
1) it is adware...
2) adware is not spyware
3) spyware is not a virus
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-30-2004 11:55 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
BEWARE^^

I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Re

38 / Other / –
btw this should clear somethings up about the sponser program

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32230
[Image: .jpg]
if you need help with unrealircd tell me and i will help ya out.
09-30-2004 08:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I think that very valid points I've been made here, there's no poitn in keeping this thread opened, starting to compare the sponsorwith a virus is absurd. Please read the arguments other people on this forum are giving. As for the sponsor making money, may I remind you that duringthe first 6 months of 2004, Google made 1.6 BILLION in advertisement revenues? Of course, that's easy for them, everybody is happy to install their search bar, despite the fact that it's basic principles are exactly the same as the one from my sponsor: return sponsored results on top of the search page. I don't see Adaware trying to remove it by screwing up its files though.
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-30-2004 09:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: