What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » help me set up handwriting plugin??

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
help me set up handwriting plugin??
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: help me set up handwriting plugin??
quote:
Originally posted by Hedj
I run Windows XP, and I can't get the Handwriting plugin working either, because it disallows me to start conversations when I try to install the plugin... Yet I can't find the "Ink Redistributable" that the Handwriting plugin says I need before installation... 8-)
You answered your own problem. You need to install the "Ink Redistributable"...
quote:
Best thing to do is install InfoPen instead, go to your Messenger Plus! 2\Plugins folder, and delete the following two files when Messenger isn't open:
Developers.txt
MsnHandWriting.dll
Wrong....
1) It isn't the best thing todo...
InfoPen is a packet that enables Ink Messages for Outlook (Express). In doing so, it has an extra feature to enable them also in MSN Messenger.
2) The plugin, is just to enable them in MSN Messenger, nothing more...
3) Did you read developers.txt? developers.txt isn't part of the plugin. It is a very short explaination for developers of how to create a plugin for Messenger Plus!. So, it is part of Messenger Plus! Evenso, a text document is a text document, nothing more. It isn't a crucial part of ANY program.
quote:
Until I find the ink redistributable, I won't be able to solve this. If anybody knows where it is or could send it to me via e-mail, Messenger or AIM, I'd be more than happy if they could. (Y) If they find a website with it, they could post it here so the problem is solved for everyone. :)
Did you READ the "manual"/"readme"/"instructions"/whatever you wanna call it that comes with the plugin????????? The Ink Redistributables are within the archive itself. You don't need to find them, you already have them...

I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but I'm getting bored with people who don't read instructions that comes with something. Not understanding instructions is another thing, but you clearly didn't read them. And you don't need to be a computer-wizard to figure out you need to read instructions.

This post was edited on 03-02-2004 at 06:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-02-2004 06:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: help me set up handwriting plugin??
I appreciate the help of some people, but eh... for those who have trouble installing it... ignore all the above posts....

The Ink/handwriting plugin is only for
Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

It was not designed for Windows 2000, but it may work. This means it is also possible that for your Windows 2000 system it doesn't work!

Read the "readme" that comes within the archive:
Before installing make sure you have the Ink Redistributables from Microsoft installed.
If you have installed InfoPen, these are already installed, else please see the InkRedist directory that you should have gotten with this file.

So, how to install:
1) unzip the file that you downloaded from http://www.mess.be/ into a directory. (The ZIP file should be around 2,44MB big and the version should be v1.1.) When you've unzipped it, you'll find another zip in the directory called inkredist.zip, unzip this one also...

2) Close all instances of MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger you're running completely. This means choosing "exit" when you right click on its icon in the systemtray. Just closing the contactlist window isn't enough.

3) If you don't have InfoPen installed (and you probably haven't), then run SETUP.EXE FIRST!!! You'll find this in the ZIP file (inkredist.zip) inside the ZIP file you've downloaded, so unzip this one also... On the setupscreen choose to install the redistributables for "all users"!

4) Now run INSTALLER.EXE

the plugin should be installed by now...

5) Restart your MSN Messenger and open up a conversation with someone; you should see some extra tabs beneath the text-area.

Note: The "convert" tab will not work! You need to install another DLL to activate the handwriting reconizer, see the post and thread here.

Note: After using the Ink Messenges intensively, it is possible that your MSN Messenger screws up. You need to restart MSN Messenger to fix this. There is nothing more you can do...

How to remove/uninstall it:
You can use the Handwriting Uninstaller made by Matty and Sk3tch to completely remove this plugin.

Or follow exactly these steps:
1) Close all instances of MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger you're running completely. This means choosing "exit" when you right click on its icon in the systemtray. Just closing the contactlist window isn't enough.

2) delete the file MsnHandWriting.dll from your Messenger Plus! Plugins directory. (default directory is: c:\program files\messenger plus! 2\plugins or c:\program files\messenger plus! 3\plugins)

If, for some reason, Windows tells you that it couldn't be deleted, make SURE you closed every instance of Messenger in the correct way. If you're SURE you did this, then try to kill the processes instead:
  Open up your Windows Task List (CTRL-ALT-DEL for Windows XP) and:
  *for windows 9x/nt look for msnmsgr.exe and msmsgs.exe - end those tasks.
  *for windows xp go to the processes tab and look for msnmsgr.exe and msmsgs.exe - end those processes.
  Now try to delete MsnHandWriting.dll again...

You can also use the Handwriting DLL uninstaller made by Sk3tch to delete this DLL. (this is not the same uninstaller as the above one. This one will only delete the DLL!

3) Go to add/remove programs in the software tab in your configuration settings. Look for "Ink"... If it exists, click it and uninstall it.

4) Go to add/remove programs in the software tab in your configuration settings. Look for "InfoPen"... If it exists, click it and uninstall it.

5) Go to add/remove programs in the software tab in your configuration settings. Look for "Windows Journal Viewer"... If it exists and you don't use it anymore for something else, click it and uninstall it.

6) Restart your computer, to make sure everything is completly removed.

EDIT: added some more detailed and updated info

This post was edited on 01-01-2006 at 08:54 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-02-2004 06:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jimcando

34 / Male / Flag
Why doesn't the convert tab work? It's really beginning to anny me.
03-06-2004 02:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
the convert tab is only for Tablet PCs. it doesn't work on a desktop
03-06-2004 03:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
yo dawg X
Banned

make it work plz
03-06-2004 03:09 PM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
make what work??? the convert tab?? ur computer doesn't have the software to use it. its built into WinXP tablet PC edition
03-06-2004 03:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
It cant be made work ok , its just not possible.

Why would you need it anyway? You have a keyboard!
03-06-2004 06:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
convert tab: it would be fun to screw around with tho!

ps. how does the enabler work?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-06-2004 06:56 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jimcando

34 / Male / Flag
They should make a version for tablet PCs and another one for the Desktop PC because it's completely pointless having it there. It confused me because I spent hours using it-trying to make it work!:wall:
03-06-2004 07:27 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jimcando
They should make a version for tablet PCs and another one for the Desktop PC because it's completely pointless having it there. It confused me because I spent hours using it-trying to make it work!:wall:

1 its not designed for desktop pcs, only tablets. this plugin is just brining it out from inside messenger.

2 if it were official, the convert dll's would work. but its hacked, so dont expect much functionality (but its better then InfoPen!)
therefore, it does support the convert feature, just havent found out how to use it yet. so, no point in making 2 versions

3 in windows codename longhorn, the functionallity is avaible. but its only being released in 2005
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.