What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
1 votes - 5 average   I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger
quote:
Originally posted by theonedragon
there is one more reason for windows messenger starting up that i havent seen... this is if your using Norton... Norton antivirus will cause windows messenger to start and log you on automatically and never display an icon on the taskbar  i figured this out awhile back when my sisters were having the problem... open norton antivirus go to options click on instant messaging and at the bottom there should be an option checked to scan incomming messages and files on windows messenger 4.7 or 5.0 uncheck the option and windows messenger shouldnt start up or log you on.
absolutely correct.... I never mentioned this in the list and forgot all about this... thanks for the reminder (Y)

This post was edited on 08-25-2004 at 10:39 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-25-2004 10:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lhunath

.{ Lord Daisy }.

39 / Male / –
Cookie, you should switch step 3&4, since if there had been a box on in step 4, you will be unable to complete step 3 successfully, as Windows Messenger will not run. You might want to edit your post ;)
{ -[Image: lhunath.gif]- }
09-14-2004 01:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yep, true... thanks...

done...

This post was edited on 09-14-2004 at 04:12 PM by CookieRevised.
09-14-2004 04:12 PM
ChromeX

X

40 / Male / Flag
quote:
Do not use:

* "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove"-method

as these methods will cripple other parts of the OS; MSN Messenger and some Plus!-plugins will not work 100% anymore (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, Song2Nick-plugin, etc...)

* "editing sysoc.inf"-method

as these methods will only remove the icon from the start menu and doesn't do a thing in preventing the startup of Windows Messenger...

strange, i always used both methods and never had any problems with msnmsg/windows itself.
quote:

...will only remove the icon from the start menu and doesn't do a thing in preventing the startup of Windows Messenger...[

sysoc.inf is needed to uninstall win msg from add/remove win components and it DOES prevent its startup.
09-02-2006 11:46 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger
quote:
Originally posted by ChromeX
quote:
Do not use:

* "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove"-method

as these methods will cripple other parts of the OS; MSN Messenger and some Plus!-plugins will not work 100% anymore (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, Song2Nick-plugin, etc...)

as these methods will only remove the icon from the start menu and doesn't do a thing in preventing the startup of Windows Messenger...
strange, i always used both methods and never had any problems with msnmsg/windows itself.
That is the most common reply...

However, it is as I said. You will have problems with msnmsgr and certain addons, etc! It is not because you don't see problems at first sight that there aren't any. It may seem to work 100% but it really isn't.

As explained in detail the Windows Messenger API is what is needed for many things, using any of the methods listed in "DO not use" will cripple one part or the other.

quote:
quote:

...will only remove the icon from the start menu and doesn't do a thing in preventing the startup of Windows Messenger...[
sysoc.inf is needed to uninstall win msg from add/remove win components and it DOES prevent its startup.
1) You must not remove Windows Messenger, therefore you shouldn't use the sysoc.inf-method in the first place.
2) As said, it will only remove the icon, nothing more. But since this thread has been created Microsoft has altered the way sysoc.inf works, and now it does also remove Windows Messenger (though, only if you have the latest Windows updates).

But again, you should NOT remove Windows Messenger at all. There are very perfect reasons why it is not "easy" to decently remove Windows Messenger. It is an application and API which many other aps depend upon.

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
Errr this thread was long gone, cookies last reply =
15.09.2004 12:12 AM
That certainly does not mean the information is absolete or that threads are "gone"!

There are hundreds of threads (even older than this) which contain very important, usefull information and which are still very valid today.

In fact, many old threads contain a lot more information and quite often are a lot more accurate than similar threads of today (since those are quite often nothing more than shortened duplicates of the old threads; and because people don't bother to search and thus information is forgotten).

PS: and the date/time of the posting isn't what counts, its the date/time of the last edit...

PS2:
quote:
actually we remove ms msg only from the startup and its icon, the folder in c/program files remains untouched
There are many more things which can cause Windows Messenger to start up. Please post accurate information or don't post at all regarding stuff like this as it only confuses the user more and gives wrong info.

This post was edited on 10-20-2006 at 12:02 PM by CookieRevised.
09-02-2006 12:32 PM
ChromeX

X

40 / Male / Flag
actually we remove ms msg only from the startup and its icon, the folder in c/program files remains untouched
09-02-2006 07:41 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: