What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
Author: Message:
wonkotsane

O.P. Shocked  Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
I got a popup from Messenger Plus to download an update and as well as updating Plus for me it also installed some scumware called something like coolfreesearch which took me about an hour to get rid of.

A happy bunny I am not. :@

This post was edited on 06-18-2004 at 08:27 PM by wonkotsane.
06-18-2004 08:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
Hi wonkotsane,

It seems while installing Messenger Plus! you have installed the sponsor program by mistake: you selected I ACCEPT, install the sponsor in the installation program. Please note this is not spyware it's simply a small search bar for Internet Explorer so Patchou (the creator of Messenger Plus!)  so he can make a living off it...

If before doing the below you have attempted to remove the sponsor program by any other method, like spyware and adware removal tools, messed around in the registry or tried to delete files you must install Messenger Plus! again with the sponsor program before doing this...

To uninstall it go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and double click on "Messenger Plus!" (or click on Remove). Then "Messenger Plus! - Setup" is displayed.
Click on the Uninstall button. after a couple of seconds, the program will ask you if you want to keep your preferences, it is suggested to say "Yes".
Then you'll be asked to type in the number displayed in the box then click Uninstall.
Now you must click Yes when asked to confirm the uninstall...If you're asked to close Internet explorer or any program do so. Now restart your computer and the sponsor program will be gone.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-18-2004 08:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
Ahhh dont worry, i dont think it did it automaticly... ill think you;; find in the setup there was a screen that said Sponsor Agreement. This is 110% Optional, so you just have to press refuse and it doesnt install. If you wish to uninstall it jsut uninstall and install again without the sponsor, ( i know youve worked that out now but anyway for future reference)
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
06-18-2004 08:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
Ahhh dont worry, i dont think it did it automaticly... ill think you;; find in the setup there was a screen that said Sponsor Agreement. This is 110% Optional, so you just have to press refuse and it doesnt install. If you wish to uninstall it jsut uninstall and install again without the sponsor, ( i know youve worked that out now but anyway for future reference)

110% is impossible :D 100% max.....
06-18-2004 08:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
It is possible to have 110% :P, jus not sure how to explain it. Anyway 110% just makes sure they know ;)
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
06-18-2004 09:02 PM
wonkotsane

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
Ok, I didn't see any message giving me the choice but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.  As for a better search utility, it slowed my broadband connection down to dialup speeds, installed loads of favorites AND SET A STARTUP ENTRY TO A PROGRAM NAMED WIPEDRIVE.EXE.  Coupled with the fact that you have to hack about with the registry to remove this software I can only draw the logical conclusion that it is fully fledged Scumware.  I thought Messenger Plus was a trustworthy piece of software but I will certainly be keeping a very close eye on it in future.

Can someone officially linked to Messenger Plus in some way please explain to me about the WIPEDRIVE program that comes as part of the scumware, the way the deleted files restore themselves and the lack of an uninstall option?  I am a Community Leader at vbCity.com/DevCity.net and I feel sure that our 130,000 members (some of which I know use Messenger Plus) will be extremely interested to know more about this. :-)
06-18-2004 09:47 PM
Hah

Im in a good mood - take advantage!

37 / Male / –
This link:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

is from Patchou, the author of Messenger Plus!. It clearly states how to uninstall the sponsor and then install plus! again without it. The sponsor is completely optional.

And about wipedrive.exe - I think you'll find you agreed to install it, so I don't really know what your moaning about. Just follow the above instructions please. As for posting on codeguru etc, there really is no need, I again will say installing the sponsor is completely optional.

Tah,

Hah
This post was brought to you by Hah!
(and he takes no responsibility for it :p)

[Image: signatures.jpg]

{Current Web Site}
06-18-2004 10:02 PM
nyboe

I would like to point out the original poster said he got a message to UPDATE msgplus.  There is no install screen..  It simply asked to update msgplus and then it just went ahead and loaded my machine with all this crappy SCUMWARE that even Ad-aware couldn't remove.  I had to manually edit my registry, and track down several program directories it tried to hide throughout my machine.

Once again, just to confirm - I originally installed msgplus over a year ago, and every installation I've done since then I've always made sure to NOT accept the sponser agreement.. This time the updater decided I needed the scumware and screwed my system over...

It's really a shame to see such a great piece of software resort to Kazaa style methods to generate income.  I certainly hope this was a huge mistake and it never happens again, but somehow I doubt that very much.
06-19-2004 01:08 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
quote:
Originally posted by nyboe
I would like to point out the original poster said he got a message to UPDATE msgplus.  There is no install screen..  It simply asked to update msgplus and then it just went ahead and loaded my machine with all this crappy SCUMWARE that even Ad-aware couldn't remove.  I had to manually edit my registry, and track down several program directories it tried to hide throughout my machine.
I would like to point out that there is not a signle difference between the "update"-procedure and the "manual"-install procedure. Both procedures will invoke the same installer, and will show you the same options, including the sponsor agreement.

quote:
Once again, just to confirm - I originally installed msgplus over a year ago, and every installation I've done since then I've always made sure to NOT accept the sponser agreement.. This time the updater decided I needed the scumware and screwed my system over...
There is nothing changed in the install procedure, and the sponsor agreement will always show up and if you choose not to install the sponsor, it will not install by itself. This is impossible. Heck, it is even impossible to be a bug, as this is programmed in a very simple way:
pseudo-code:
code:
INPUT "install sponsor"?
If "yes" then
  InstallSponsor
Else
  DoNothing
End If
InstallPlus

Also, note that only a handful of people complain about this issue. If this was for real (installing even if you choose not to) then millions of users would have that problem...

quote:
It's really a shame to see such a great piece of software resort to Kazaa style methods to generate income.  I certainly hope this was a huge mistake and it never happens again, but somehow I doubt that very much.
There is a very huge difference between the "kazaa"-style methods and the optional, stripped down and very light sponsor package of Plus!

It is your and only your own fault that the sponsor got installed by accident.

To remove it, simply uninstall Plus!. This is the normal and logic uninstalling procedure for the sponsor package. Do not resort to programs like ad-aware, S&D, etc. as they will not uninstall the sponsor properly and will cripple the uninstalling procedure.

If you did try those methods, then first you need to fix the uninstaller again by installing Plus! with the sponsor. After that, do a normal uninstall of Plus! and follow the instructions given (like closing every MSIE-window!).

Detailed (official) instructions can be found here:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

Also, take your time to read the following threads to know more about all this:
http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8543&#45396
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=170076

Sponsor Agreement Screen:
[Image: mp3_sponsoroption.png]
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-19-2004 02:43 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
wonkotsane

O.P. RE: RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
quote:
Originally posted by wonkotsane
Ok, I didn't see any message giving me the choice but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.
I agreed that it may have asked if I wanted to install it, I trusted the source and didn't expect it to install scumware on my pc.

quote:
Originally posted by Hah
And about wipedrive.exe - I think you'll find you agreed to install it, so I don't really know what your moaning about.
I'm sorry, perhaps I've entered a parallel universe where WIPEDRIVE means something other than WIPE DRIVE.  For christs sake are you stupid?  If I set a startup entry on your computer of "format c:" would you not complain?  You're either naive or paid by Messenger Plus because I can't think of any other reason for such a monumentally stupid answer such as the one you posted.

I'll take this as the official response then and make it my mission to tell as many people as I can (and that's a hell of a lot of people on the internet, believe me) about this scumware.  I respect the author's right to get paid for his software but he also has a responsibility to ensure that the scumware he's installing with his product isn't harmful.  The owner of the scumware is british and if WIPEDRIVE does what the name suggests then it's illegal under UK law.
06-19-2004 07:13 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: