What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » New sponsor agreement window

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
New sponsor agreement window
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. New sponsor agreement window
Hello everybody,

as I wrote in a recent post, I'm currently working on anupdate of the sponsor agreement window. I'm trying my best to find a good balance between "sponsor installs" and "happy users" and in order to do that, I will test several variantsof the installer when version 3.21 will be released. If I manage to find something good, I'll publish another version soon after 3.21 with the new agreement available for everyone. Meanwhile, I'll just make my server send different versions of the setup randomly and I'll check the stats accordingly.

Please, do not post suggestions about how I could redesign the window, I read all your posts, I know all your suggestions and they will almost all be included in a version of the setup (this is really a big test, I'm taking all this seriously). However, I do need your feedback on one thing. I just read a big articlewritten by someone which describes how bad Messenger Plus! is with all its hidden secrets 8-)... one thing that hit me was the fact that the author insisted a lot on the word "sponsor" being misleading. I can swear to you that I never intended it to be misleading in any way, in fact,that's all the countrary. I just need a word that describes what the the C2Media software I distribute is, understandable by everyone. The author of the article says I should write"lop.com" instead and I think this makes no sense as most people have no idea what "lop.com" is. So, if you have a good suggestion, please post it :).

Version 3.21 and its modified test-version installers will be released in a week or two, depending on how fast the translators do their job ;).

Patch

This post was edited on 10-02-2004 at 08:05 AM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-02-2004 07:23 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: New sponsor agreement window
Patchou, I think you should keep it as it is, it is a sponsor program, its not misleading at all..... People just don't understand what the sponsor program actually is.
10-02-2004 07:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I also agree with "sponsor". This is exactly what lop.com is, a sponsor. (aka a company that gives you money in return for something).

Though, in a small way, I can understand a little those people saying that (although "misleading", isn't at all the correct word. If they think it is they need a dictionary): without scrolling (and thus without reading) you don't see what the sponsor actually is.

So maybe something like this: "Sponsor Agreement (lop.com)" should make those people also happy.

2) If you do this simple thing, then you also have your answer to those people who say that it seems like a Plus! agreement.
3) Furthermore, the people who don't know lop.com wont be put of immediatly (concearning your saying "if I put 5 warnings in there, nobody installs the sponsor")
4) People who do know lop.com will notice it (more) and don't install the sponsor because they think it is your normal Plus! EULA, and thus you will get less "Plus! is spyware" complaints (hopefully).

just a thought

This post was edited on 10-02-2004 at 07:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-02-2004 07:42 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
good news (Y) maybe we will have more happy users :P
i agree with "sponsor" btw (Y)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
10-02-2004 07:48 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New sponsor agreement window
Well, the company is not "lop.com", it's just a name commonly used on the internet for some of the old packages they were distributing. The company name is C2Media and yes, its a goodidea, I'll add this in the title.

Note: ifyou want to read the article I'm referingto, it's at http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm . Please, do not email the author to flame her, let's prove her that her opinion about forum members is wrong :). Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and this article has ast least the merit to be well written.

This post was edited on 10-02-2004 at 07:57 AM by Patchou.
10-02-2004 07:54 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, the company is not "lop.com", it's just a name commonly used on the internet for some of the old packages they were distributing. The company name is C2Media and yes, its a goodidea, I'll add this in the title.

Surely that would scare users who know it away, because the actual window looks like you have to press accept to carry on :-/, no offence to the extension, its just... thats the only real problem with the window.. I'm not sure how to fix this though...

:cry:
10-02-2004 07:58 AM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Note: ifyou want to read the article I'm referingto, it's at http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm . Please, do not email the author to flame her, let's prove her that her opinion about forum members is wrong . Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and this article has ast least the merit to be well written.
I'm sorry but this guy/girl is just exagerating. the only thing that should be changed in his eyes is the look of the window. and that's exactly what you're thinking about now, aren't you?

Personally I think it is a good idea, because the "I agree" box is sooo tempting and a checkbox would be so much better... Anyway, that's my opinion...Short but meaningful :p

This post was edited on 10-02-2004 at 08:32 AM by Millenium_edition.
10-02-2004 08:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus.htm
If this person is intelligent enough to treat the sponsor install/uninstall properly, then she should also have the intelligence to see that it's not as bad as people think.
Maybe that person should have a look around the forums better as well, as she's gone and tarred us all with the same brush. I for one will help, as will so many of the regular posters, and I don't think our attitudes are
a) Open to attack
b) Inappropriate
In fact, we are some of the most patient and helpful people here.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-02-2004 10:13 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New sponsor agreement window
Well, if you want to reply to her, be my guest and do it on the newsgroups (deja.com)... it seems that somepeople now love to insult my software, myself, and the members of this forum too. I'm starting to realise why you rarely see forums dedicated to support for one software: some people just can't stand it and badmouth the software even more.
10-02-2004 06:45 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Which newsgroup precisely? deja.com takes me to Google Groups, and the site you linked to doesn't seem to mention a newsgroup...
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-02-2004 07:08 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: